How to figure out the ratios in which elements combine

In summary, the person is asking for a method to figure out the ratios of elements in period 2 that combine with chlorine and oxygen. They are in 10th grade and have no knowledge of how to approach this problem. The suggested solution is to learn about valency and determine whether the elements bond covalently or ionically, which will allow for the determination of the required ratio for a compound with a neutral charge.
ryan001

Homework Statement

I need to know is how to figure out the ratio's in which the elements in period 2 combine with
chlorine and oxygen i.e a method to solve the problem.
I 'm currently in 10th grade.

Thanks in advance I appreciate the help.

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. I have tried adding and subtracting electrons, but that does not add up to the answers at the back of my textbook

Attachments

• Information.zip
    127.4 KB · Views: 254
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't read your attachment but...

Are you familiar with the concept 'valency'?

Then, but I'd say in second place, there is some theory for it in terms of electrons.

Most elements will combine such that there is no net charge. Like epenguin said, learn about valency and determine whether the elements that combine with oxygen bond covalently or ionically. This will allow you to determine the ratio required for any two elements to share/(donate/receive) electrons to form a compound with neutral charge.

What is a ratio in the context of elements combining?

A ratio in the context of elements combining refers to the relative amounts of each element present in a compound. It is determined by the number of atoms of each element in a molecule or formula unit.

How do I determine the ratio of elements in a compound?

To determine the ratio of elements in a compound, you must first know the chemical formula of the compound. Then, you can use the subscripts in the formula to determine the ratio of elements. For example, in the compound H2O, there are two hydrogen atoms for every one oxygen atom, so the ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is 2:1.

What is the law of definite proportions?

The law of definite proportions states that a given compound will always contain the same elements in the same proportion by mass. This means that the ratio of elements in a compound will always be the same, regardless of the amount of the compound that is present.

Can the ratio of elements in a compound change?

No, the ratio of elements in a compound cannot change. As mentioned before, this is due to the law of definite proportions. However, the actual amount of the compound present can vary, leading to different masses of each element in the compound.

Why is understanding ratios in which elements combine important?

Understanding ratios in which elements combine is important because it allows us to predict and control the properties and behavior of compounds. It also helps us to understand how different elements interact with each other to form compounds and how these compounds can be broken down into their individual elements.