1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need you're help!

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    Thermal physics question...

A wire resistance thermometer is constructed with material that has a resistance that varies as temperature as below.

R=R0 (1+ alphaT + betaT^2)
    where constants alpha and beta are 3.8 x 10^-3 k^-1 and -3.0 x 10^-6 k^-2 respectively.

Calculate the temperature measured on the resistance scale at 70 degrees C on the ideal gas scale.

I've got no idea where to start on this one, any ideas?

Thanks, Rob.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2003 #2
    You must have the temperature at which the resistance thermometer has resistance R0 or you can't really do the problem. I suppose it could be absolute zero but that's not a very practical thermometer.

Also, the units for the constants don't make sense to me. Do you mean 10 * 103 or k for Kelvin?

Basically the resistance thermometer uses R at some given temperature and a formula for how the resistance varies with temperature. For example, at 0 C suppose R is 1000 ohms and the formula were
    R0 + 10 T, then at 25 C, the resistance would be 1000 + 250 ohms.
    Here T is relative to reference temperature 0 C.
  4. Oct 29, 2003 #3
    I've corrected the values of alpha and beta, does it make more sence now?

I've been told that this question has all the information you need to solve it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, rob.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?