Ideal Gas Law Problem: Solving Pressure & Bottle Purge

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an argon canister in a wine-dispensing system. The pressure of the canister at a temperature of 295 K is calculated using the ideal gas equation. The second question involves determining how many 750.0 mL wine bottles can be purged with the argon in the canister at a pressure of 1.20 atm and a temperature of 296 K. The conversation also mentions the use of relevant equations and the molar mass of argon in attempting to solve the second question.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A wine-dispensing system uses argon canisters to pressurize and preserve wine in a bottle. An argon canister for the system has a volume of 55.0 mL and contains 26.0 g of argon. Assuming ideal gas behavior, what is the pressure in the canister at 295 K? When the argon is released from the canister it expands to fill the wine bottle. How many 750.0 mL wine bottles can be purged with the argon in the canister at a pressure of 1.20 atm and a temperature of 296 K?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve the first question, but unable to do the second. I tried to solve it by setting the ideal gas equation to n; which, I thought, would represent the number of wine bottles, but it didn't. How do I solve the second question?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many 0.75L bottles will the decompressed argon fill?

I honestly do not know. I am sorry.

OK, what is the volume of the decompressed argon?

Hi Bashyboy! :smile:

Let's start with the relevant equations.
Did you already have:
PV=nRT?
Molar mass of Argon?

I like Serena said:
Did you already have:
PV=nRT?
Molar mass of Argon?

I assumed he solved first part he applied these things. But perhaps I assumed too much...

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the formula PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How do you solve Ideal Gas Law problems?

To solve an Ideal Gas Law problem, you will need to know three of the four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles) and use the Ideal Gas Law equation to find the missing variable. Rearrange the equation to solve for the desired variable and plug in the known values.

What is bottle purge in relation to the Ideal Gas Law?

Bottle purge is a process used to remove impurities from a gas bottle before use. It involves releasing some of the gas from the bottle to create a lower pressure inside, which allows any impurities to escape. This process is important for ensuring the accuracy and safety of gas experiments that use the Ideal Gas Law.

How does pressure affect the Ideal Gas Law?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, pressure and volume are inversely proportional, meaning that an increase in pressure will result in a decrease in volume, and vice versa. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law and is one of the principles that govern the behavior of ideal gases.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law perfectly under all conditions. In contrast, a real gas is a gas that deviates from the Ideal Gas Law at high pressures and low temperatures. Real gases have non-zero volume and experience intermolecular forces, which cause them to behave differently from ideal gases.