Impedance Question Homework: Solving for Z with Complex Numbers

• Thread starter Enochfoul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, when solving for the impedance of a circuit using the equation 1/Z = 1/Z1 + 1/Z2, make sure to use the correct values for Z1 and Z2. It is important to pay attention to negative signs and to double check calculations to ensure correct answers. Also, when using the atan() function to find the angle associated with a vector or complex number, it is best to make a quick sketch to determine the correct quadrant and adjust the angle accordingly.
Enochfoul

Homework Statement

Hi would somebody please be able to check to see if my workings look good?

Homework Equations

1/Z=1/Z1+1/Z2

IF Z1 = 3 + J2 and Z2 = 1 - j3, calcualte Z giving your answer in the form r(cosθ + jin son θ) where θ is in radians

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached as a scanned image

Attachments

• 5.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure its Z1 = 3 + j2 and not Z1 = 3 + 2j ?

Either way, your working looks good.

Joppy said:
Are you sure its Z1 = 3 + j2 and not Z1 = 3 + 2j ?

Either way, your working looks good.
Thanks for the reply here is a screen shot of the question

Attachments

• Impedance Question.png
    Impedance Question.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 336
Thanks. While your method looks correct, you've made a simple error in translation.

That is, in your working you've taken Z1 as 3 + j2 and not 3 + 2j. Similarly with Z2, you've written it down as 1 - j3 instead of 1 - 3j.

Try again but this time with Zeq = ( (3 + 2j) (1 - 3j) / (1 - 3j) + (3 + 2j) )

Excuse the brackets, having some trouble with Latex.

Joppy said:
Thanks. While your method looks correct, you've made a simple error in translation.

That is, in your working you've taken Z1 as 3 + j2 and not 3 + 2j. Similarly with Z2, you've written it down as 1 - j3 instead of 1 - 3j.

Try again but this time with Zeq = ( (3 + 2j) (1 - 3j) / (1 - 3j) + (3 + 2j) )

Excuse the brackets, having some trouble with Latex.

Hi Joppy on careful inspection of my work I have written J^2 and J^3, however I have calculated the solution based on J2 and J3. I have altered the values and have come up with the same answer as in my original scanned image. Do you deem the answers to be correct?

Ive just realized my answer in radians should have been negative. I have changed the solution to
Z= 2.765(cos(-0.416) - Jsin(-0.416)) Does that seem correct?

Last edited:
So you have! I was wondering why things didn't reduce sooner in your working : ).

Yes that's correct. Well done!

For my final answer I have a negative tangent, hence the solution will be in the 2nd and 4th quadrant of the circle where the tangent is negative.
My solution of -23.83 deg is correct but in positive format the answer would be 156.17 deg or 336.17 deg.

In the context of the question I suspect the correct solution would be 156.17° or its radian equivalent.

i.e

156.17xpi/180 = 2.735 rads.

Should my answer not be:
Z= 2.765(cos(2.735) - Jsin(2.735))

or do you believe I got it right as Z= 2.765(cos(-0.416) - Jsin(-0.416))

Thanks

Enochfoul said:
For my final answer I have a negative tangent, hence the solution will be in the 2nd and 4th quadrant of the circle where the tangent is negative.
My solution of -23.83 deg is correct but in positive format the answer would be 156.17 deg or 336.17 deg.

In the context of the question I suspect the correct solution would be 156.17° or its radian equivalent.
The atan() function takes a single number as an argument, so when using it to find the angle associated with a Cartesian vector (or the angle of a complex number) it cannot distinguish whether a negative argument should place the angle in quadrants 2 or 4, or 1 or 3. In other words an argument comprised of (-y)/(+x) is indistinguishable from (+y)/(-x), and (+y)/(+x) is indistinguishable from (-y)/(-x). So the signs of the sine and cosine of an angle can be confused when using atan. (There is another function called atan2(y,x) which takes two arguments and always returns a result in the correct quadrant, but you can research that separately).

The best approach when looking for the angle associated with a vector or complex number is to make a quick sketch of the vector or point to locate the correct quadrant. Then adjust the angle returns by atan() if required.

upload_2016-3-28_12-29-18.png

As you can see in the figure your result of -23.8° is good. 336° would also work, but by convention these angles are always normalized to lie within the range -180° ≤ θ ≤ +180° . 156° would be incorrect because it would place the point or vector in the second quadrant rather than the third.

Likes Enochfoul
gneill said:
The atan() function takes a single number as an argument, so when using it to find the angle associated with a Cartesian vector (or the angle of a complex number) it cannot distinguish whether a negative argument should place the angle in quadrants 2 or 4, or 1 or 3. In other words an argument comprised of (-y)/(+x) is indistinguishable from (+y)/(-x), and (+y)/(+x) is indistinguishable from (-y)/(-x). So the signs of the sine and cosine of an angle can be confused when using atan. (There is another function called atan2(y,x) which takes two arguments and always returns a result in the correct quadrant, but you can research that separately).

The best approach when looking for the angle associated with a vector or complex number is to make a quick sketch of the vector or point to locate the correct quadrant. Then adjust the angle returns by atan() if required.

View attachment 98115

As you can see in the figure your result of -23.8° is good. 336° would also work, but by convention these angles are always normalized to lie within the range -180° ≤ θ ≤ +180° . 156° would be incorrect because it would place the point or vector in the second quadrant rather than the third.
Thanks again an excellent answer I will stick with my solution surrounding -23.8

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated by dividing the voltage by the current in a circuit. It can also be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that impedance equals voltage divided by current.

3. Why is impedance important?

Impedance is important because it affects the behavior of electrical circuits, such as the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. It also plays a role in determining the frequency response of a circuit.

4. What factors affect impedance?

Impedance can be affected by the type of material used in a circuit, the length and thickness of wires, and the frequency of the current. It can also be influenced by the presence of resistors, capacitors, and inductors in a circuit.

5. How can I check my impedance question homework?

To check your impedance question homework, you can use Ohm's Law and the given values for voltage and current to calculate the impedance. You can also use a multimeter to directly measure the impedance of a circuit. Additionally, there are online calculators and simulation tools available to help with impedance calculations.