Calculate Exact Area b/w x-axis & Graph of y=7-8x+x^2

• Thread starter mugzieee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the author is given a problem that gives him y=7-8x+x^(2), and it says calculate the exact area between the x-axis and the graph of y. However, when he uses the fundamental theorem, he gets a bogus answer. The answer given in the book is 36, but when he tries to do it himself, he gets confused.
mugzieee
im given a problem that gives me y=7-8x+x^(2) and it says calculate the exact area between the x-axis and the graph of y.
What i have done is tried using the fundamental theorom, by saying that F(b)=2600, and F(a)=2600. I got these values by graphing and looking at where the y graph starts and stops. but when i use the fundamental theorom i get a bogus answer. The answer given in the book is 36, can any1 point me in the correct direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you have to use the fundamental theorem? I'm not sure where you got F(b) and F(a) from really also. Where did the 2600 come from again? I don't see how it's relevant to where the curve crosses the x axis. Integrating from where f(b) = f(a) = 0 for distinct a and b should work but I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i have to use the theorom, F(b) and F(a) i got from looking at the graph of y, and just taking the starting point, and the ending point of the graph, as in the interval its in. so what i did was just take the total area
from [-2600,2600]. i have no idea what the distinct a and distinct be method is sorry.

The integral of f(x)dx from a to b is F(b) - F(a). That's the first fundamental theorem right? What's F(t)? It's the integral from 0 to t of f(x)dx. So F(b) - F(a) = integral from 0 to b of f(x)dx - integral from 0 to a of f(x)dx. You can't just take the area from an arbitrarily large value of x on the function because any area that is below the x-axis gets subtracted from the area above the x axis. This is why you should choose your b and a more carefully - the two places where f(x) = 0.

You're making this way too complicated.
Take your equation Y = x^2 - 8x + 7 and factor it to get y=(x-7)(x-1), and solve this for the points where y = 0.

so you have x=1, 7.

Take this, and do a definate integral of that equation:
Integral(1 to 7) (x^2 - 8x + 7)dx
so you get: ((x^3)/3 -4x^2 + 7x)|(1 to 7)
Plug in your numbers: (7^3)/3 - 4(7^2) + 7(7) - (1^3)/3 + 4(1^2) - 7
simplify to get: -36
since area is always positive, your area is 36.

thanx cam, appreciate it

-_- to the above. If I wanted to just do the question for you I would have like above,haha. Just a note the term "indefinite integral" applies to integrals without boundaries, which this question has - in case you ever have to mention it on a test.

vsage said:
-_- to the above. If I wanted to just do the question for you I would have like above,haha. Just a note the term "indefinite integral" applies to integrals without boundaries, which this question has - in case you ever have to mention it on a test.

I decided to solve this one for him because i know that seeing it solved sometimes helps me a lot more than other things could, and what you were saying vsage was even confusing Me. :tongue2:

Yeah I'm not the most coherent person in the world, sorry! -_-

1. What is the formula for calculating the exact area between the x-axis and the graph of y=7-8x+x^2?

The formula for calculating the exact area between the x-axis and the graph of y=7-8x+x^2 is ∫(7-8x+x^2)dx.

2. How do you find the limits of integration for this problem?

The limits of integration for this problem can be found by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for x. The values of x where the graph intersects the x-axis will be the limits of integration.

3. Can this problem be solved using the Riemann sum method?

Yes, this problem can be solved using the Riemann sum method. The area between the x-axis and the graph can be approximated by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

4. Is it necessary to use calculus to solve this problem?

No, calculus is not necessary to solve this problem. It can also be solved using geometric formulas, such as the formula for the area of a trapezoid.

5. How can this problem be applied in real life?

This problem can be applied in real life situations where we need to calculate the area under a curve, such as calculating the volume of a swimming pool or the amount of paint needed to cover a curved wall. It can also be used in economics to calculate the total revenue or profit of a company.