1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Indefinate integrals

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    im given a problem that gives me y=7-8x+x^(2) and it says calculate the exact area between the x-axis and the graph of y.
    What i have done is tried using the fundamental theorom, by saying that F(b)=2600, and F(a)=2600. I got these values by graphing and looking at where the y graph starts and stops. but when i use the fundamental theorom i get a bogus answer. The answer given in the book is 36, can any1 point me in the correct direction please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
    do you have to use the fundamental theorem? I'm not sure where you got F(b) and F(a) from really also. Where did the 2600 come from again? I don't see how it's relevant to where the curve crosses the x axis. Integrating from where f(b) = f(a) = 0 for distinct a and b should work but I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  4. Nov 20, 2004 #3
    yes i have to use the theorom, F(b) and F(a) i got from looking at the graph of y, and just taking the starting point, and the ending point of the graph, as in the interval its in. so what i did was just take the total area
    from [-2600,2600]. i have no idea what the distinct a and distinct be method is sorry.

5. Nov 20, 2004 #4
    The integral of f(x)dx from a to b is F(b) - F(a). That's the first fundamental theorem right? What's F(t)? It's the integral from 0 to t of f(x)dx. So F(b) - F(a) = integral from 0 to b of f(x)dx - integral from 0 to a of f(x)dx. You can't just take the area from an arbitrarily large value of x on the function because any area that is below the x axis gets subtracted from the area above the x axis. This is why you should choose your b and a more carefully - the two places where f(x) = 0.

6. Nov 20, 2004 #5

cAm

You're making this way too complicated.
    Take your equation Y = x^2 - 8x + 7 and factor it to get y=(x-7)(x-1), and solve this for the points where y = 0.

so you have x=1, 7.

Take this, and do a definate integral of that equation:
    Integral(1 to 7) (x^2 - 8x + 7)dx
    so you get: ((x^3)/3 -4x^2 + 7x)|(1 to 7)
    Plug in your numbers: (7^3)/3 - 4(7^2) + 7(7) - (1^3)/3 + 4(1^2) - 7
    simplify to get: -36
    since area is always positive, your area is 36.

7. Nov 20, 2004 #6
    thanx cam, appreciate it

8. Nov 20, 2004 #7
    -_- to the above. If I wanted to just do the question for you I would have like above,haha. Just a note the term "indefinite integral" applies to integrals without boundaries, which this question has - in case you ever have to mention it on a test.

9. Nov 20, 2004 #8

cAm

I decided to solve this one for him because i know that seeing it solved sometimes helps me a lot more than other things could, and what you were saying vsage was even confusing Me. :tongue2:

10. Nov 20, 2004 #9
    Yeah I'm not the most coherent person in the world, sorry! -_-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?