1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I attached the question.Just integral trouble.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand the expression you have written after "This is what I want". You have an integral in the denominator of an expression. I don't see how this is supposed to result in a recursion formula. Have you checked you attachment to make sure all expressions are correctly written?

4. Jun 8, 2013 #3
    There isn't it is (n-1)/n (times) the integral It isn't supposed to be in the denominator.

∫〖sin〗^n x dx= (-〖sin〗^(n-1) xcosx)/n)+ ((n-1)/n)∫〖sin〗^(n-2) x dx

thx

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I find that hard to read. Do you mean ##\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx##? Looks right.

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5
    Yeah that is what I mean.

See I'm trying to figure out how to get to that. On my attachment there is a problem before that where you get

\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x)cos^{2}.dx
    They tell you to replace cosx^2 in the second integral and get to
    \int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx

I'm having trouble with that.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #6
    How come it doesn't work then I copy and pasted your code for the equation? Anyways my first equation in the attachment I need to get to the one you have written above. Just look at my attachment it is all there/

8. Jun 9, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For some reason, I can never read the .docx files you attach. I see the plain text, but equations and diagrams are blank.
    In the latex, you left out the double hash (##) at start and end.
    I don't understand how you got the first of those two equations. You should have
    ##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + \int (n-1)\sin^{n-2}(x)\cos^2(x).dx##
    Replacing the cos2 in that gives:
    ##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x)(1-\sin^2(x)).dx##
    ##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx - (n-1)\int \sin^{n}(x).dx##
    ##n\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx ##
    etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted