Integration by Parts Homework Help

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the recursion formula for the integral of sin^n(x) dx. The initial equation given was incorrect and needed to be corrected in order to reach the desired formula. The conversation also touched on the difficulties with reading attachments and properly formatting equations.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Hi, I attached the question.Just integral trouble.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Integral recursion..docx
    12 KB · Views: 176
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the expression you have written after "This is what I want". You have an integral in the denominator of an expression. I don't see how this is supposed to result in a recursion formula. Have you checked you attachment to make sure all expressions are correctly written?

There isn't it is (n-1)/n (times) the integral It isn't supposed to be in the denominator.

∫〖sin〗^n x dx= (-〖sin〗^(n-1) xcosx)/n)+ ((n-1)/n)∫〖sin〗^(n-2) x dx

thx

Jbreezy said:
There isn't it is (n-1)/n (times) the integral It isn't supposed to be in the denominator.

∫〖sin〗^n x dx= (-〖sin〗^(n-1) xcosx)/n)+ ((n-1)/n)∫〖sin〗^(n-2) x dx

thx
I find that hard to read. Do you mean ##\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx##? Looks right.

Yeah that is what I mean.

See I'm trying to figure out how to get to that. On my attachment there is a problem before that where you get

\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x)cos^{2}.dx
They tell you to replace cosx^2 in the second integral and get to
\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx

I'm having trouble with that.

How come it doesn't work then I copy and pasted your code for the equation? Anyways my first equation in the attachment I need to get to the one you have written above. Just look at my attachment it is all there/

For some reason, I can never read the .docx files you attach. I see the plain text, but equations and diagrams are blank.
In the latex, you left out the double hash (##) at start and end.
Jbreezy said:
##\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x)cos^{2}.dx ##
They tell you to replace cosx^2 in the second integral and get to
##\int \sin^n(x).dx = -\frac1n \sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x) + \frac{n-1}n \int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx##

I'm having trouble with that.
I don't understand how you got the first of those two equations. You should have
##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + \int (n-1)\sin^{n-2}(x)\cos^2(x).dx##
Replacing the cos2 in that gives:
##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x)(1-\sin^2(x)).dx##
##\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx - (n-1)\int \sin^{n}(x).dx##
##n\int \sin^n(x).dx = [-\sin^{n-1}(x)\cos(x)] + (n-1)\int \sin^{n-2}(x).dx ##
etc.

What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using a specific formula to solve for the integral.

When is Integration by Parts used?

Integration by Parts is used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be easily solved using other techniques, such as substitution or the power rule. It is also useful when the integral involves trigonometric functions or logarithms.

What is the formula for Integration by Parts?

The formula for Integration by Parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the integral and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is also known as the "ILATE" rule, where I stands for inverse trigonometric, L for logarithmic, A for algebraic, T for trigonometric, and E for exponential functions.

How do I choose which function to use as u and which as dv?

When using the Integration by Parts formula, it is important to choose u and dv in a strategic way. A common method is to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate when differentiated. This may require some trial and error and practice to become comfortable with.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Integration by Parts?

Some common mistakes when using Integration by Parts include incorrect choice of u and dv, forgetting to apply the formula for the second integral, and making mistakes with integration. It is important to double check your work and practice regularly to avoid these mistakes.