1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Function of Two Variables

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For one of my physics classes I need to integrate a function of two variables, but I haven't learned how to do it yet in my calculus classes. If anyone could explain to me how to do it, it would be much appreciated. It's probably pretty simple I just haven't learned it yet.

the integral is [tex]\int[/tex] (z 2 + x2)-3/2 dx

and i know that the answer is x/ sqrt (z2 + x2) z2

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

z^2 is a constant with respect to x. That might help.
  4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    yea I've been trying to think of it that way but everything i do doesn't end up working and I can't think of anything else to do
  5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    You can make a trig substitution.
  6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    I think I understand where the sqrt(z2 + x2) in the denominator of the answer comes from, if you pretend z2 + x2 is one term and take its anti-derivative you get 1/sqrt(z2 + x2), but i dont know where the x in the numerator or the z2 in the denominator come from
  7. Sep 29, 2010 #6
    What happens if you make x= ztan[tex] \theta[/tex].
  8. Sep 29, 2010 #7
    oh wow thank you so much, I completely forgot about trig substitution. Thanks a lot I just got it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook