Interesting inter-conversions of carbon compounds

In summary: In this case it is a pretty standard addition reaction, so the rule applies directly.In summary, the reaction involves CH2=CHCHCH3 and HCl, resulting in the formation of CH3CHClCH2CH3. This compound then reacts with KOH to produce an alcohol, with the OH group replacing the Cl atom in the second carbon atom from the left. This follows Markovnikov's rule, which determines the location of the substitution on the original molecule. The final product is 2-methylpropanol, although there was some discussion about whether it should be butan-1-ol or butan-2-ol.
new hand

Homework Statement

CH2=CHCHCH3 + X --> CH3CHClCH2CH3

CH3CHClCH2CH3 + KOH(aq) --> Y
then what is the structural formula of Y ?? (show clearly where the functional group located)

The Attempt at a Solution

It is obvious that X is HCl, and Y should be an alcohol but where is the hydroxyl group be attached and why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can you draw the structural formula for me?? I am really confused

My answer is 2-methylpropanol but someone told me that it is butan-1-ol which one is correct?

new hand said:
2-methylpropanol

Why do you think the straight chain of the original alkene gets rearranged?

Likes new hand
As OH group will replace the chlorine atom in the second carbon atom (counted from the left)as written in the question
Correct or not?

Last edited:
Yes, OH replaces the Cl. But why do you think it ends with the conversion of a straight C-C-C-C chain to a branched one?

Borek said:
Yes, OH replaces the Cl. But why do you think it ends with the conversion of a straight C-C-C-C chain to a branched one?
As CH3CHClCH2CH3 is changed to CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3

Oh my mistake!
is the answer butan-2-ol?

Last edited:
Looks like.

Likes new hand
Can a non-chemist just query a couple of points please?

In the OP
new hand said:
CH2=CHCHCH3 + X --> CH3CHClCH2CH3
On the LHS it looks to me like the third C should have another H ? And if X is HCl, there seems to be one H short on the LHS? ( C4H7 +HCl -> C4H9Cl )

In Borek's first response, Markovnikov's rule seems to tell us where the Cl gets substituted, which is not the question? The position of the Cl seems to be shown already in the second equation and the question seems to be, where does the OH get put when it substitutes for the Cl. In my naivety, I simply guessed the OH would go in the same place as the Cl, but does Markovnikov have something to say about it?
When I looked it up (I didn't know it) it seemed to apply to A-C=C-B + HX situations. But in the second reaction, the double bond is already gone and we're looking at P-CCl-Q + OH-

Merlin3189 said:
On the LHS it looks to me like the third C should have another H ? And if X is HCl, there seems to be one H short on the LHS? ( C4H7 +HCl -> C4H9Cl )

Yep, the equation was a little bit lousy.

Merlin3189 said:
Markovnikov's rule seems to tell us where the Cl gets substituted, which is not the question?

Yes, but that's actually the only thing that matters here, as the next step is just an SN reaction in which (as you correctly assumed) -OH replaces -Cl. So the final product is defined by the way HCl reacts with the double bond.

1. What are carbon compounds and why are they interesting?

Carbon compounds are molecules that contain carbon atoms bonded to other elements, such as hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. They are interesting because of the variety of structures and functions they can have due to the unique bonding properties of carbon, making them essential for life and many industrial processes.

2. How do carbon compounds convert into different forms?

Carbon compounds can undergo a variety of inter-conversions, including reactions such as oxidation, reduction, substitution, and addition. These reactions can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts.

3. Can carbon compounds be transformed into useful products?

Yes, carbon compounds can be converted into a wide range of useful products, such as fuels, plastics, pharmaceuticals, and agricultural chemicals. This is because of the ability of carbon atoms to form strong and stable bonds with other elements, allowing for the creation of complex molecules with specific properties.

4. How are carbon compounds important for the environment?

Carbon compounds play a crucial role in the environment, as they are involved in processes such as photosynthesis, respiration, and decomposition. They also contribute to the Earth's carbon cycle, which helps regulate the planet's temperature and support life.

5. What are some current research areas involving interesting inter-conversions of carbon compounds?

Some current research areas include finding more sustainable and efficient ways to convert carbon compounds, developing new catalysts for specific reactions, and exploring the potential of carbon compounds for renewable energy sources. There is also ongoing research on understanding the impact of carbon compounds on the environment and finding ways to mitigate their negative effects.