What is the difference between heat and internal energy?

In summary: Note: this is the summary provided by the site; the answerer may be slightly different from the original answerer's]In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of heat and internal energy, and the differences between the two. Heat is defined as the sum of the kinetic energy of molecules, while internal energy includes both kinetic and potential energy. The example of a closed glass cylinder with a piston is used to illustrate how heat and work are exchanged in a system, and how this affects the change in internal energy. It is important to note that while heat and work can both increase or decrease the internal energy of a system, they are not equivalent and serve different purposes in the energy exchange.
Alettix
Hello,

So I have been struggling to understand internal energy for quite a long time and I hope you will be able to help me get straight with it. The most common definition I find on the internet is "The sum of the kinetic and potential energy of the molecules/atoms in a system" (often gases). Too me, this sounds like a physical quantity bigger than the heat energy, because the latter takes only the kinetic energy of the molecules in account (Am I wrong?). But the equation for internal energy is:
ΔU = ΔQ - W = ΔQ - p × ΔV
where ΔU is the change in internal energy, ΔQ the heat given to the system and W (or pΔV) the work done by the system (often change in volume). So this means that the change of internal energy is smaller than the change in heat. I would be really thankful if somebody could explain the differences between heat and internal energy, and give the proper definitions of them.

What confuses me even more is the following example in my physics book:

Homework Statement

"A closed glass cylinder has a piston which can be assumed to move very easily and without friction. The cylinder contains 1,0 dm^3 of air with a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius and has a pressure equivalent to 101,3 kPa. The air is then heated to 100 degrees Celsius.
a) How much heat was given to the air?
b) How big is the work done by the system by change in volume?
c) What's the change in internal energy?"

Homework Equations

and information [/B]
ΔU = ΔQ - W = ΔQ - p × ΔV (1)
pV=nRT → V1/T1=V2/T2 (2)
ΔE = mcΔT (3)
specific heat capacity of air c = 1,01 kJ/(kg × K)
ρ = m/V (4)
density of air = 1,293 kg/m^3

3. The solution in the book

a) The heat energy required to increase the air's temperature by 80 degrees is calculated with equation (3), with the help of equation (4) to determine the mass of the air. This gives the answer: 104 J

b) The pressure is assumed to be constant (thanks to the very mobile piston), and so the change in volume can be calculated with equation (2). This value is then multiplied with the magnitude of the pressure (101,3 kPa) and so the work done by the system is determined to be 28 J.

c) With the help of equation (1) the change in internal energy is calculated to be: 104-28= 77 J.

3. What I don't understand and need help with

I understand the calculations, but once again I can't really link it to the definitions for heat and internal energy. What I find the most incomprehensible is how we can say that 104 J go to increase the temperature of the air, when we know that 28 J of these will go to expand the cylinder! I would find it more logical to say that only 77 J go to heat the gas, but then this would lead to the conclusion that heat is equal to internal energy, which is certainly not right according to equation (1).

Big thanks to somebody who can make the definitions of internal energy and heat clear, and explain why we can say that 104 J heat the system when we know that 28 J will go to work!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alettix said:
because the latter takes only the kinetic energy of the molecules in account
It also takes potential energies into account if they come from internal potentials (e.g. between atoms in molecules, not from gravity of earth).
Alettix said:
incomprehensible is how we can say that 104 J go to increase the temperature of the air, when we know that 28 J of these will go to expand the cylinder!
Expanding the cylinder is part of the energy needed "to increase the temperature". There is also the heat capacity for a constant volume which has a different value.

Thank you for your answer mfb! :)

mfb said:
It also takes potential energies into account if they come from internal potentials (e.g. between atoms in molecules, not from gravity of Earth

But isn't then the definition for heat and internal energy the same? What's the difference?

.Expanding the cylinder is part of the energy needed "to increase the temperature". There is also the heat capacity for a constant volume which has a different value.

I don't understand this, WHY is expanding the cylinder a part of the energy needed "to increase the temperature"?
And do you mean that the book used the wrong value for the heat capacity? Does that affect the problem and its results in any other way than just changing the received values for the energies?

Thank you!

Alettix said:
But isn't then the definition for heat and internal energy the same? What's the difference?
No, that is the difference: heat only counts internal (as opposed to bulk) KE, whereas internal energy also counts internal PE.
Alettix said:
WHY is expanding the cylinder a part of the energy needed "to increase the temperature"?
In the context of the question, the issue is how much heat do you have to supply for the temperature to go up by 80oC. Some of the heat supplied will be spent (as work) expanding the cylinder, but that's all part of what's needed as an external input.

Alettix said:
You might find this FAQ entry helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-heat.511174/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Alettix
The work and the heat represent exchanges of energy across the boundaries of your system with the surroundings. The internal energy represents the amount of energy that your system contains within its boundaries. Exchanges of heat and work with the surroundings can increase the amount of internal energy or decrease the amount of internal energy within your system.

In your example, heat is added to your system across its boundary, but your system also does work on the surroundings by expanding. So the heat added to your system tends to increase its internal energy, and the work your system does on the surroundings acts to decrease the internal energy of your system. In your problem, the heat added wins out over the work done, and the internal energy increases (but not as much as if all the heat went into increasing the internal energy).

Chet

Likes Alettix
haruspex said:
No, that is the difference: heat only counts internal (as opposed to bulk) KE, whereas internal energy also counts internal PE.
What about the internal potential energy in vibrations of molecules? This is part of heat.

Alettix said:
What I find the most incomprehensible is how we can say that 104 J go to increase the temperature of the air, when we know that 28 J of these will go to expand the cylinder! I would find it more logical to say that only 77 J go to heat the gas, but then this would lead to the conclusion that heat is equal to internal energy, which is certainly not right according to equation (1).
In your problem, 104 Joules of heat Q enter through the boundaries of your system, but not all of this heat is used to increase the temperature of the air. Only 77 of these Joules go into increasing the temperature of the air (corresponding to the change in internal energy ΔU); the remainder of the heat (27 Joules) is used to cause the gas to expand (do work) against the surroundings.

Chet

mfb said:
What about the internal potential energy in vibrations of molecules? This is part of heat.
Ah, ok.

Firstly, thank you for your answer Sir!

Chestermiller said:
In your problem, 104 Joules of heat Q enter through the boundaries of your system, but not all of this heat is used to increase the temperature of the air. Only 77 of these Joules go into increasing the temperature of the air (corresponding to the change in internal energy ΔU); the remainder of the heat (27 Joules) is used to cause the gas to expand (do work) against the surroundings.

Chet

Well, this was the way thought about it too! But if only 77 J go to increas the temperature of the air, the increase will only be:
ΔT = ΔE / (m × c) = 77 / (1,293 × 10^-3 × 1010) ≈ 59,0 °K
And so the temperature of the air is: 20+59 = 79 °C, but this is against the statement of the problem, because the temperature should be 100 °C.
How does that work out?

Alettix said:
Well, this was the way thought about it too! But if only 77 J go to increas the temperature of the air, the increase will only be:
And so the temperature of the air is: 20+59 = 79 °C, but this is against the statement of the problem, because the temperature should be 100 °C.
How does that work out?
Realize that the specific heat capacity you are given is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure. As Chestermiller explained, that tells you the amount of heat that must flow to give you a given change in temperature. But it does not tell you the increase in internal energy--for that you must apply the first law of thermo.

Likes Alettix
Alettix said:
Firstly, thank you for your answer Sir!
How does that work out?
The way this works is as follows: The change in internal energy is given by ##\Delta U=mC_v\Delta T##, not ##mC_p\Delta T##. If you divide by the heat capacity at constant volume rather than the heat capacity at constant temperature, you will get the correct temperature rise of 80C.

Chet

Likes Alettix
Doc Al said:
Realize that the specific heat capacity you are given is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure. As Chestermiller explained, that tells you the amount of heat that must flow to give you a given change in temperature. But it does not tell you the increase in internal energy--for that you must apply the first law of thermo.

Chestermiller said:
The way this works is as follows: The change in internal energy is given by ##\Delta U=mC_v\Delta T##, not ##mC_p\Delta T##. If you divide by the heat capacity at constant volume rather than the heat capacity at constant temperature, you will get the correct temperature rise of 80C.

Chet

Oddly, in Swedish high school we are not thaught that there are different kinds of heat capacities. I have never encountered the terms "heat capacity at constant volume" and "heat capacity at constant pressure" (but I guess the latter is the one we use in school). I guess I have a couple of things to google now! :) After that I will hopefully be able to understand this.

Once again, Thank you for your answeres!

Doc Al said:
You might find this FAQ entry helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-heat.511174/

Thank you, I found it very useful! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is internal energy struggle?

Internal energy struggle refers to the constant battle within an organism to maintain its internal energy balance. This involves the processes of energy production, storage, and utilization to meet the body's needs and maintain homeostasis.

2. What factors contribute to internal energy struggle?

There are several factors that can contribute to internal energy struggle, including diet and nutrition, physical activity, stress levels, and underlying health conditions. Poor nutrition or inadequate intake of essential nutrients can lead to a lack of energy production, while high levels of stress can disrupt energy balance and utilization.

3. How does internal energy struggle affect the body?

Internal energy struggle can have a significant impact on the body, as it can lead to fatigue, decreased physical performance, and increased risk of chronic diseases. When the body is unable to maintain its internal energy balance, it can also affect other bodily functions, such as metabolism, hormone regulation, and immune system function.

4. Can internal energy struggle be managed or improved?

Yes, internal energy struggle can be managed and improved through various lifestyle changes. These may include adopting a balanced and nutritious diet, engaging in regular physical activity, managing stress levels, and addressing any underlying health conditions that may be contributing to the struggle.

5. How can scientists study internal energy struggle?

Scientists can study internal energy struggle through various research methods, such as laboratory experiments, clinical trials, and observational studies. They may also use advanced technologies, such as metabolic testing and imaging techniques, to understand the body's energy balance and how it is affected by different factors.