Joining MENSA - How to Become a Member

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: IQs in the 130-140 range. Some people might find it helpful to take an IQ test in order to join MENSA, but I don't think it's necessary.
Critical_Pedagogy said:
Ok my first post.

So with all the "geniuses" we have in the world, we still can't protect ourselves from asteroids, our technology is still childish when measured against reality, we still live on the same planet for millions of years, we still use natural resources as our primary fuel, we still go to war against our own kind based on lies, we elect IDIOTs to power, ect. . . ect. . . .

I wonder what all these "geniuses" are doing for the rest of the idiot-humans. My guess is they are using their brains to get rich, and they don't care about improving the race. Humans, to me, are not intelligent lifeforms.

Get a job...

Wait wait, no, better idea. Grow up, stop reading comic books. If your beef with mankind is that we are not able to stop million mile per hour projectiles being emitted from god knows where or that we haven't found a magical (also, since all matter is natural, there is no such thing as an "un-natural" resource) source of unlimited energy or that we have not settled planets thousands of lightyears away and made it our home, then i think that you calling another human being an idiot is rather hypocritical.

If you are so mad, go figure out a way to go to the nearest solar system, go figure out a magical end-all solution to the Earth's human population's energy need, and go figure out how to stop comets with a can of soda by yourself. If your so smart that you just know all their intelligence is somehow going into making themselves richer, it sounds like your smart enough to do all that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Get a job...

Wait wait, no, better idea. Grow up, stop reading comic books. If your beef with mankind is that we are not able to stop million mile per hour projectiles being emitted from god knows where or that we haven't found a magical (also, since all matter is natural, there is no such thing as an "un-natural" resource) source of unlimited energy or that we have not settled planets thousands of lightyears away and made it our home, then i think that you calling another human being an idiot is rather hypocritical.

If you are so mad, go figure out a way to go to the nearest solar system, go figure out a magical end-all solution to the Earth's human population's energy need, and go figure out how to stop comets with a can of soda by yourself. If your so smart that you just know all their intelligence is somehow going into making themselves richer, it sounds like your smart enough to do all that.

what I'm saying is that we shouldn't call these Mensa people "GENIUSES". Just because they can memorize more words, read faster, multiply faster, reason better, play chess better, and do all these nerdy things better than the rest of us, doesn't mean crap when they don't use their brains for the good of mankind.

Our technology is pathetic. Nice job GENIUSES.

=============

How many times does it take to get a spaceship into space? Ask the "GENIUSES"at NASA.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
what I'm saying is that we shouldn't call these Mensa people "GENIUSES". Just because they can memorize more words, read faster, multiply faster, reason better, play chess better, and do all these nerdy things better than the rest of us, doesn't mean crap when they don't use their brains for the good of mankind.

=============

How many times does it take to get a spaceship into space? Ask the "GENIUSES"at NASA.

Pathetic compared to what? The Outer Limits? Orson Welles? SCIENCE FICTION? Ivan said it best one day... its called Science Fiction for a reason.

I mean i can't even understand how you think. Do you really think its a simple task to solve all the problems that face mankind? I mean the complexity of hte world is astounding and these geniuses do not claim to know everything about anything. I mean if you could create a book with all the knowledge in the world about science, the average human being could probably only read and understand 1% of it in their lifetimes.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
What makes you think many of them don't?
Using what as a yardstick? Without someone else's technology to compare it to, how do we know?
=============

How many times have you tried?

all very nice points :approve:

yomamma said:
all very nice points :approve:
You really want that most annoying award, don't you? :devil:

mmmmmmmmaybe

Janus said:
1-What makes you think many of them don't?
2-Using what as a yardstick?
3-Without someone else's technology to compare it to, how do we know?
4-How many times have you tried?

1 - Science enrollment at universities is way down. Kids aren't interested in that stuff. Statistically this should imply that a proportional amount of America's elite students aren't interested either. Unless you want to believe that all who sign up for science are geniuses, and the ones who aren't interested are the average students.
2 - Just look at how pathetic we are. We're sitting duck in space. No protection whatsoever from anything coming our way. We're no different from Chimps in the jungle.
3 - See above statement.
4 - None. More proof that humans (including me) aren't intelligent life forms. Earth should be called Planet of the Apes. That's really what's going on here. 2 billion people living off $1 or less. Wealthy nations polluting the planet for profit. It's a discusting filthy world we live in.

Last edited:
Critical_Pedagogy said:
1 - Science enrollment at universities is way down. Kids aren't interested in that stuff. Reasons: it's too hard, not interesting, blah blah blah. I believe the ones at fault are the schools and teachers. It's their job to make science fun and easy.

How bout we just "make" uranium safe to eat? Wrong. Science can't just be "made fun and easy". Its hard, its not all that comic books want to tell you it is, and there's nothing that can change that. Its not the teachers fault that enrollment its down, its societies fault. We can't just re-write formulas to make them fun and easy and pretty for children.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
2 - Just look at how pathetic we are. We're sitting duck in space. No protection whatsoever from anything coming our way. We're no different from Chimps in the jungle.

You seem to be wholly obsessed with being hit by a meteor. Yes, we're no different from chimps except for basically we've created everything you interact with on a daily basis. Chimps do not create particle accelerators, chimps do not create space stations, and chimps do not study quantum physics. I cannot believe you would compare us to chimps in as far as knowledge is concerned.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
3 - See above statement.

You didn't answer his quesitn. What is our yardstick? Who has better technology? Just because your personal opinion is that we're ape-like, doesn't exactly mean we're low on the technological scale. PLease provide examples of where we SHOULD be.

Critical_Pedagogy said:
4 - None. More proof that humans (including me) aren't intelligent life forms. Earth should be called Planet of the Apes. That's really what's going on here. 2 billion people living off $1 or less. Wealthy nations polluting the planet for profit. It's a discusting filthy world we live in.

No, just more proof that you have no idea what your talking about. You are simply saying that you are unintelligent while the rest of world does indeed have highly intelligent people. Just because a bunch of people are poor for various reasons does not mean people are stupid. Chimps live off $0 a day, how about that, see how stupid you sound? Science and technology do not strive to spread wealth. Its goal, and the goal of most "geniuses" working in science, is to learn more about the universe... not learn economics.

I cannot believe you would compare us to chimps in as far as knowledge is concerned.

===============

All the Knowledge we have can't save us from inevitable doom. So what does that say about our "Great Knowledge"?

You didn't answer his quesitn. What is our yardstick? Who has better technology? Just because your personal opinion is that we're ape-like, doesn't exactly mean we're low on the technological scale. PLease provide examples of where we SHOULD be.

================

If we were intelligent we would realize the we need all the efforts of the world's people to save ourselves. That means the rich countries should be helping poor countries with education so that we all can contribute to solving our huge problems. We should not oppress little countries and give token handouts to show we care. Humans should have 1 official language, and we should all get along. Nuclear weapons should be banned, and war as well. This great civilization that we are is a lie. We are savages and murderers just like the beasts on the savanah. The only difference is that we can talk to each other and write down our thoughts. Big whoopie.

The rest of world does indeed have highly intelligent people. Just because a bunch of people are poor for various reasons does not mean people are stupid. Chimps live off $0 a day, how about that, see how stupid you sound? Science and technology do not strive to spread wealth. Its goal, and the goal of most "geniuses" working in science, is to learn more about the universe... not learn economics.
=================
Geniuses would realize that those 2 billion people would serve the world better if they could go to school and have food on their plate. While the rich "intelligent" nations have too much food, the rest of the world cries out for handouts. It doesn't take a genius to realize that greed and unfair politics is what's killing those other countries. But of course, the geniuses in the rich lands don't care about dark skinned people dying. Somehow you want to separate the Geniuses in science from the Geniuses in other fields like politics, economics, ect. . . I'm talking about all geniuses in all fields, what have they done for the world? Greed Greed Greed Greed Greed Greed Greed. I have no respect for any of them.

@ Critical_Pedagogy: Stop trolling. As it is often said, "a skilled troll is a master baiter".

Critical_Pedagogy said:
=============

Weeee, not often we see a troll on this side of the woods!

Are you enjoying your computer that you are using?, oh wait, i forgot, it could be far better :rolleyes: