Law for magnetic field due to solenoid

In summary: OP's question (post #1).Well, I did. It's your feeling that it is inapposite, that I don't understand. The field B is the field H times μ0. So B = μ0 * H.The formula B = μ0 * H is derived from Amperes law, if it is to find the H-field at the center of a solenoid. That's what I think you don't understand. I'm just making clear how to interpret the formula.If you don't understand that, you don't understand the formula, as it is only a derived form of Amperes law.Summary: In summary, the formula B = 4pi * 10^-
NooDota

Homework Statement

Just a quick clarification about the law: B = 4pi * 10^-7 * n *I/LDoes n refer to total number of loops, or just the number of loops in a single layer?

Like, If I have a solenoid that's made up of 4 layers and 1000 total loops, do I plug in 1000 or 250?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NooDota said:
Just a quick clarification about the law: B = 4pi * 10^-7 * n *I/L
Let me rewrite it:

B = μ0*H

It looks like an attempt to calculate the B-Field in the center of a solenoide. Thus:

By "n/L", turns per length is meant, so you could write it:

Bcenter = μ0 * I * ( ΔN / ΔL ).

n = ΔN , L = ΔL ( if you understand what I mean ) :wink:

Last edited:
Your formula is made from the figure beneath with Amperes law:

upload_2015-6-13_0-26-53.jpeg

NooDota said:

Homework Statement

Just a quick clarification about the law: B = 4pi * 10^-7 * n *I/L
Does n refer to total number of loops, or just the number of loops in a single layer?
Like, If I have a solenoid that's made up of 4 layers and 1000 total loops, do I plug in 1000 or 250?
n refers to the total number of loops in that formula.
However, conventionally n is used to mean "loops per unit length"; in SI that would be loops per meter.
It doesn't matter whether loops are in 1st or 2nd or 3rd or 4th layer, or any other layers.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you all.

rude man said:
n refers to the total number of loops in that formula.
However, conventionally n is used to mean "loops per unit length";

I don't think you are right here. It is not just a convention, but a premise. The intension of the formula is to calculate the H or B field at a distinct location ( the center ) in the solenoide.

Of symmetrical reasons you can only find the H and B fields at the center: Amperes law just tells you what the mean values will be, following the circulation path. Now calling the lower left corner of the rectangle ( circulation path ) in the figure in #3, A, then clockwise the other corners B, C, D. If AB and CD are very close to each other, the H fields parallel to AB and CD will be zero, because the H-field will be perpendicular to AB and CD due to symmetry. Making BC and DA longer ( or not centered ), the H-field will no longer be perpendicular to AB and CD. The lengths of AB and CD are assumed infinite, so that the H-field along BC is zero.

Therefore the formula can only find the H-field at the center of the solenoid, and thus DA must be kept very small. That's why n = ΔN / ΔL, ( not N/L ).

I know that the result will be the same, no matter if you use n or N. I'm just speaking of the premises as for the formula, and that the H-field is calculated at the center of the solenoid.
http://h2physics.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/solenoid2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hesch said:
I don't think you are right here. It is not just a convention, but a premise. The intension of the formula is to calculate the H or B field at a distinct location ( the center ) in the solenoide.

Of symmetrical reasons you can only find the H and B fields at the center: Amperes law just tells you what the mean values will be, following the circulation path. Now calling the lower left corner of the rectangle ( circulation path ) in the figure in #3, A, then clockwise the other corners B, C, D. If AB and CD are very close to each other, the H fields parallel to AB and CD will be zero, because the H-field will be perpendicular to AB and CD due to symmetry. Making BC and DA longer ( or not centered ), the H-field will no longer be perpendicular to AB and CD. The lengths of AB and CD are assumed infinite, so that the H-field along BC is zero.

Therefore the formula can only find the H-field at the center of the solenoid, and thus DA must be kept very small. That's why n = ΔN / ΔL, ( not N/L ).

I know that the result will be the same, no matter if you use n or N. I'm just speaking of the premises as for the formula, and that the H-field is calculated at the center of the solenoid.
http://h2physics.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/solenoid2.jpg
As before, I am confused by your riposte, feeling it to be inapposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, I don't know any of the stuff you're talking about. I've only studied magnetic fields in my school and they just gave us direct laws to calculate them. (Straight line, solenoid, and a circular circuit or whatever you call it)

NooDota said:
Ahh, I don't know any of the stuff you're talking about. I've only studied magnetic fields in my school and they just gave us direct laws to calculate them. (Straight line, solenoid, and a circular circuit or whatever you call it)
I wouldn't worry about it! :smile: (BTW your 'circular circuit' is probably a one-turn loop or a toroid).

rude man said:
I am confused by your riposte, feeling it to be inapposite.
Why?

It's important to understand, that the H-field is not constant along a solenoid ( the H-field has most strength at the center ). As for other locations in/nearby the solenoid, Biot-Savart law must be used.

I'm just specifying that, as it is not mentioned in post #1.

How come that you are confused about that? Why is it inapposite?

This is the "wrong" sketch:

sol3.gif

I've picked out the sketch in #6.

Last edited:
Hesch said:
Why?.
Because you did not address the OP's question (post #1). Th OP's formula is the prima facie formula for axial B in a finite-length solenoid. The main purpose of its derivation is to show the multifarious utility of Ampere's law, and is always accompanied by a statement that the so computed field is approximate. I don't think the OP wanted to go beyond that point. I pointed out that the formula does not discriminate among windings from different layers. Thus, my answer of "1000" which is all he asked for.

For a more accurate computation of the axial B field inside or outside the solenoid one invokes the Biot-Savart law, applied to each winding individually and then summed for all windings. The ensuing summation is more simply replaced by the appropriate integral. Theodoros.mihos has recently posted a site which shows one way of accomplishing this:

Last edited:
That's why n = ΔN / ΔL, ( not N/L ).
Same thing, unless the spacings are uneven!

rude man said:
Same thing, unless the spacings are uneven!
Its the same result, but not the same "thing".
Hesch said:
Of symmetrical reasons you can only find the H and B fields at the center: Amperes law just tells you what the mean values will be, following the circulation path.
I've written this of educational reasons, so that the OP ( what does that mean? ) won't have to remember the formula. The OP has just to remember the principle in where the formula has derived from. Having understood that, and if the OP can somehow place a symmetric circulation path through a toroid, the OP can see through how the formula must be as for a toroid. ( H = N * I / 2πr ). I think it's more constructive to explain the idea ( how to find the H-field in the center of a toroid ) in the formula, than to reply with a "1000".

My english is not excellent, but I've found help here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

( Same idea ).

Related to Law for magnetic field due to solenoid

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a solenoid is B = μ0 * n * I, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

How does the direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid relate to the direction of current flow?

The direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If you wrap your fingers around the solenoid in the direction of current flow, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between the magnetic field inside a solenoid and the number of turns per unit length?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns per unit length. This means that as the number of turns increases, the magnetic field also increases.

How does the magnetic field inside a solenoid compare to the magnetic field outside the solenoid?

Inside a solenoid, the magnetic field is uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid. However, outside the solenoid, the magnetic field is weaker and tends to spread out in different directions.

Can the magnetic field inside a solenoid be controlled?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a solenoid can be controlled by changing the current flowing through the solenoid or by varying the number of turns per unit length. This makes solenoids useful in a variety of applications, such as electromagnets and inductors.