1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithmic Mean Temperature Difference

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused as to which streams I should use for the log mean temperature difference. I am pretty sure it should be the difference in temperature between the two streams on the same side, so I think it's

(700-450)-(1100-960) / ln [(700-450)/(1100-960)], but I am not sure.

The term wasn't well defined, and my search on wikipedia gave the definition as ''The LMTD is a logarithmic average of the temperature difference between the hot and cold streams at each end of the exchanger.''

This is too vague, which end of the exchanger??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3
    The way you calculated it is correct. You are not confused about it after all.

Chet

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4
    I am confused, because the only reason I know it had to be that was because I would get a negative logarithm if I did it the other way. Suppose it was such that I didn't get a negative number in the logarithm either way that I subtracted it, then how would I do it??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. Dec 14, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read the attachment to Post #2.

7. Dec 14, 2013 #6
    You take hot temperature minus cold temperature at one end of the heat exchanger, and hot temperature minus cold temperature at the other end of the heat exchanger. How you do things after that doesn't matter.

8. Dec 14, 2013 #7
    Okay great, I have convinced myself of that now. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted