• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Logarithmic Mean Temperature Difference

• Thread starter Woopydalan
  • Start date
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused as to which streams I should use for the log mean temperature difference. I am pretty sure it should be the difference in temperature between the two streams on the same side, so I think it's

(700-450)-(1100-960) / ln [(700-450)/(1100-960)], but I am not sure.

The term wasn't well defined, and my search on wikipedia gave the definition as ''The LMTD is a logarithmic average of the temperature difference between the hot and cold streams at each end of the exchanger.''

This is too vague, which end of the exchanger??

Attachments

The way you calculated it is correct. You are not confused about it after all.

Chet

I am confused, because the only reason I know it had to be that was because I would get a negative logarithm if I did it the other way. Suppose it was such that I didn't get a negative number in the logarithm either way that I subtracted it, then how would I do it??

Last edited:

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Read the attachment to Post #2.

I am confused, because the only reason I know it had to be that was because I would get a negative logarithm if I did it the other way. Suppose it was such that I didn't get a negative number in the logarithm either way that I subtracted it, then how would I do it??
You take hot temperature minus cold temperature at one end of the heat exchanger, and hot temperature minus cold temperature at the other end of the heat exchanger. How you do things after that doesn't matter.

Okay great, I have convinced myself of that now. Thank you!