Magnitude of Force on Q1 with Three Point Charges

In summary, the problem involves three point charges - q1 = -3.00 µC at the origin, q2 = 5.00 µC at x = 1.00 m, and Q1 = 10.0 µC at x = -0.100 m. Using the equation F=[k(q1)(q2)]/r^2, the net force on Q1 is calculated to be -27.37 N in the negative i-hat direction. This is due to the attractive forces from both q1 and q2, which are located in the positive x direction. The negative sign indicates a repulsive force, while the i-hat direction indicates a force in the x direction.
las90

Homework Statement

A point charge q1 = -3.00 µC is situated at the origin. Another point charge q2 = 5.00 µC is located at the location x = 1.00 m. If another charge Q1 = 10.0 µC is placed at x = -0.100 m, what is the magnitude of the force on it?

Homework Equations

F=[k(q1)(q2)]/r^2
E=F/Q (I'm not sure if this one is relevant, considering how I have no idea how to do this).

The Attempt at a Solution

For two particles, I did the same thing and it worked. However, when I tried with 3 particles, obviously it didn't give me the right answer or else I wouldn't be here?

F1= [(9x10^9)(10x10^-6)(-3x10^-6)]/(.1^2) = -27 i-hat
F2= [(9x10^9)(10x10^-6)(5x10^-6)]/(1.1^2) = -.37 i-hat
Fnet = -27 i-hat + -.37 i-hat = -27.37 i-hat.

Meaning the magnitude would be 27.37 N, and it would be going in the negative i-hat direction. Of course, that was not the right answer, and I was really hoping for some help because I have no clue what to do.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Just curious how both forces ended up with the same sign?

That's pretty interesting actually. I think what I did was that the F1 ended up being negative because of the -3x10^-6 force and because the i-hat is positive for that, so that one stayed the same.

As for F2, I wasn't exactly sure about this one because I have a problem with figuring out when to use - or + but. I figured the i-hat was negative because of a method our teacher taught us. But I'm not really sure if the i-hats even change based on direction because of a previous example he showed us. Having three charges just really throws me off. I feel it shouldn't be much different than two...

If you have a + & - sign then the charges are attractive and that means the force is toward the charge that you are figuring the force for.

In this case both q1 and q2 charges affecting the force are located in the + X direction, so a + Force toward those charges (if -) on the Q1 will be positive X.

The opposite is true for the same sign charges. Repulsive force at Q1 will be - X.

Related to Magnitude of Force on Q1 with Three Point Charges

What is an electric field force?

An electric field force is a type of force that is created by the presence of electric charges. It can be thought of as the space surrounding a charged object where other charged objects will experience a force.

How is the strength of an electric field force determined?

The strength of an electric field force is determined by the magnitude of the electric charge and the distance between the charged objects. The closer the objects are and the larger the charges, the stronger the electric field force will be.

What is the direction of an electric field force?

The direction of an electric field force is determined by the type of charges involved. Opposite charges will attract each other, so the force will be in the direction of the line connecting the charges. Like charges will repel each other, so the force will be in the opposite direction to the line connecting the charges.

How does an electric field force affect the motion of charged particles?

An electric field force can cause charged particles to accelerate or change direction. If the force is in the same direction as the particle's motion, it will speed up. If the force is in the opposite direction, it will slow down or change direction.

What are some real-life applications of electric field forces?

Electric field forces are used in a variety of technologies, such as in electronics, power generation, and medical imaging. They are also important in understanding and controlling atmospheric phenomena such as lightning and the aurora borealis.