Mass% of Magnesium-Aluminum Alloy in HCl

• Thread starter ahhppull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alloy Mass
In summary, a 0.250-g sample of a magnesium-aluminum alloy completely dissolves in excess HCl(aq). The liberated H2(g) is collected over water at 29C and 752 torr, with a volume of 313 mL. By using the formula PV = nRT, the number of moles of water can be calculated. However, the information about the vapor pressure of water does not provide any useful information for determining the alloy composition. The solution requires using reaction equations to solve for the unknown variables.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

A 0.250-g sample of a magnesium-aluminum alloy dissolves completely in an excess of HCl(aq). When the liberated H2(g) is collected over water at 29C and 752 torr, the volume is found to be 313 mL. The vapor pressure of water at 29C is 30.0 torr.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
Al = 26.98 g/mol
Mg = 24.31 g/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how to do this...but here's what I did.

1) First I converted everything.

752 torr = 0.989 atm
313 mL = 0.313 L
29C = 302K

2) Then I used the forumla PV = nRT to find out how many moles of water there was.

3) Then I multiplied the moles by the MM of Al and Mg.

4) Finally I did .3038x + .3371(1-x) = 250 and got a whole number above 100% which means that my answer was wrong.

I haven't used any the information about the vapor pressure of water because I don't know what to do with it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the reaction equations. Water doesn't tell you anything about alloy composition.

--

1. What is the purpose of determining the mass% of magnesium-aluminum alloy in HCl?

The purpose of this experiment is to quantitatively analyze the composition of a magnesium-aluminum alloy by determining the percentage of each element present in the alloy. This information can be used to better understand the properties and potential applications of the alloy.

2. How is the mass% of magnesium-aluminum alloy in HCl determined?

The mass% of magnesium-aluminum alloy in HCl is determined through a process called acid-base titration. This involves reacting a known mass of the alloy with excess hydrochloric acid and then determining the amount of unreacted acid using a base of known concentration. The difference in the amount of acid before and after the reaction allows for the calculation of the mass% of each element in the alloy.

3. Why is HCl used as the acid in this experiment?

HCl is a strong acid that can effectively react with both magnesium and aluminum in the alloy. It also provides a clear endpoint for the titration, making it easier to accurately determine the amount of acid used in the reaction.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the mass% determination?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the mass% determination, including human error in measuring and recording data, incomplete reactions, and impurities in the alloy. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and perform multiple trials to ensure accurate results.

5. How is the mass% of magnesium-aluminum alloy in HCl used in real-world applications?

The mass% of magnesium-aluminum alloy in HCl is used in various industries, such as aerospace and automotive, to determine the strength, durability, and corrosion resistance of the alloy. It can also be used to control the composition of the alloy during manufacturing processes to ensure consistent quality and performance.