Mastering Tension Problems in Physics for Students

• Thread starter physixnot4me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, To approach problems involving tensions, you need to follow these steps: identify the forces acting on the object, draw a free body diagram showing only the forces, and sum the forces and apply Newton's second law. For the first question, with M=1.1kg, the tension in the string 1 is 10.78N. In the second question, the forces acting on the objects being pulleyed are gravity, normal force, and a force transmitted through the rope.
physixnot4me
Hi! The following 2 questions I have for homework for this week, and I'm stuck on the steps I need to approach this types of questions.
If someone could provide a brief analysis or suggestions as to how to go about problems involving tensions, that would be very helpful.

1) If M=1.1kg, what is the tension in the string 1?

2) Two objects are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. Draw a Free Body Diagram of both objects. If the inclide is frictionless and if m1= 2kg, m2=6kg and angle theta=55 degrees, find:
(a) the accelerations of the objects
(b) the tension in the string
(c) the speed of each object 2 sec after being released from rest.

ANY feedback about analysing tension questions such as the ones mentioned above would terrific. Physics is really not my strong point. In a free body diagram in #2, what forces are acting on the objects being pullied? Gravity? Normal?

Attachments

• prob1.GIF
    prob1.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 811
  • prob2.GIF
    prob2.GIF
    1.9 KB · Views: 582
Physics news on Phys.org
physixnot4me said:
ANY feedback about analysing tension questions such as the ones mentioned above would terrific.

You would follow the same procedure for both of them.

* Identify the forces acting on the object in question.
* Draw a free body diagram showing only the forces (no cables or inclined planes or anything else)
* Sum the forces and apply Newton's second law: [itex]\Sigma\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/itex]

In a free body diagram in #2,

I wouldn't call that a free body diagram, because it shows the physical apparatus and not the force vectors.

what forces are acting on the objects being pullied? Gravity? Normal?

Yes, both of those are acting, but that's not all. There's also a rope attached to that object, and a force is transmitted through it.

tension in first string is MG = 1.1x9.8=10.78N

Related to Mastering Tension Problems in Physics for Students

What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or any other type of rope-like object when it is pulled tight.

What are some common examples of tension problems?

Some common examples of tension problems include lifting a heavy object with a rope, using a pulley system, or stretching a rubber band.

How can I solve tension problems?

To solve tension problems, you can use Newton's laws of motion and apply them to the forces acting on the object in question. You can also use equations such as F=ma and F=mg to calculate tension.

What is the difference between static and dynamic tension?

Static tension refers to the force applied to an object that is at rest, while dynamic tension refers to the force applied to an object that is in motion.

How can I reduce tension in a system?

To reduce tension in a system, you can either decrease the force being applied or increase the strength of the object or material being used. You can also add additional support or use a different type of pulley system to distribute the tension more evenly.