1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution for Liquids and Collision Theory

1. Feb 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Im doing a chemistry assignment to do with collision theory at grade 12 level. It is an Experimental Investigation where i must vary the concentration, temperature and catalyst and relate the results to the collision theory. I am using the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide as my base experiment. The question i have for the forums is: When dealing with hydrogen peroxide solutions (around 0.1M), is there any kind of energy distribution for liquids, similar to the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution for gases that i can use? Or even: Is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution a close enough representation of what is occurring in the liquid reaction, that at a grade 12 level it would be acceptable to use it to explain why temp, conc, etc. can change the rate of reaction? If so, what factors should i talk about as differences between the distribution of gases and the distribution of liquids?

2. Relevant equations

2H2O2 --> 2H20 + O2

Thanks for your help,

Fraser

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?