Measure bolt loads in an experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to measure tension and shear forces on bolted fasteners during a static test. The person has looked at products that measure clamping force but is unsure if they can also measure shear. They ask for advice on how to measure both tension and shear forces, and someone suggests using a strain gauge. The person is using traditional fasteners and is looking for a commercial option to measure the experimental loads.
TheEggo
I'd like to measure the tension and shear forces on several bolted fasteners during a static test.

I've looked at these and similar products: http://www.innovationplus.com/index.php

...but it is my understanding that these are only good for clamping force (aka tension force).

Anybody have any experience with measuring tension AND shear in a bolted joint during a test?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of bolted joint are you using where shear is even a concern? If it's untraditional, give a diagram and maybe someone can help you sneak a strain gauge in there.

I'm not worried about the bolts failing in shear, it's an interface loads study and I need to know what loads go into the structure.

I'm using traditional fasteners. I like the strain gage idea, but I'm unsure where to place the gages.

I'm hoping that someone it familiar with a commercial option I can just use in place of my fasteners to get my experimental loads.

Related to Measure bolt loads in an experiment

1. How do you measure bolt loads in an experiment?

In order to measure bolt loads in an experiment, you will need a specialized tool called a bolt tension meter. This device measures the amount of tension or stretching force in the bolt by clamping onto it and reading the pressure exerted.

2. What is the purpose of measuring bolt loads in an experiment?

Measuring bolt loads in an experiment allows scientists to accurately determine the amount of force being applied to the bolt. This is important for understanding the strength and durability of materials and structures, as well as for ensuring safety and reliability in various applications.

3. How do you ensure accurate measurements of bolt loads?

To ensure accurate measurements of bolt loads, it is important to use a calibrated bolt tension meter and to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. It is also crucial to properly prepare the bolt and surrounding materials, ensuring a clean and secure connection for the tension meter to clamp onto.

4. Can bolt loads be measured in different types of experiments?

Yes, bolt loads can be measured in a variety of experiments, as long as the appropriate equipment is used. This includes experiments involving different materials, temperatures, and environments. However, it is important to consider any potential external factors that may affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when measuring bolt loads in an experiment?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to take when measuring bolt loads in an experiment. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any injuries from the high tension forces. It is also important to use caution when handling the tension meter and to follow all safety protocols outlined by the manufacturer.