Molar Enthelpy question with Combustion

• Thread starter staka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the molar enthalpy for the combustion of 3-pentanol was calculated using the given data. The final answer is -8.23x10^2kJ/mol. There may be a slight variation due to the increase in temperature of the remaining alcohol, but it can be neglected.
staka

Homework Statement

Using the data for the combustion of 3-pentanol calculate the molar enthalpy for the alcohol.

Initial mass of alcohol: 27.35g
Final mass of alcohol: 26.41g
Change in temperature: 21.0C
Volume of water: 100.0mL (100.0g)
Specific heat capacity of water: 4.18 J/gC

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

3-pentanol: C5H12O (88.14818 g/mol)
27.35g-26.41g=0.94g
0.94g/88.14818g/mol=0.010663861mol

Q=mcΔT
=(100)(4.18)(21.0)
=8778J
ΔH=-8778J
ΔH/n=-8778J/0.0106638161mol
=-823154.0152J/mol
=-8.23x10^2kJ/mol ←is this the correct answer? (I don't have an answer key.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good. The only complicating factor is to determine if the 3-pentanol underwent an increase in temperature as well. You used about a gram of the alcohol and about 26 grams are left. Did that remaining alcohol undergo an increase in temperature of 21oK?

I believe the remaining alcohol increased 21 Celcius.
I just want to know if I determined the molar enthalpy of alcohol in the end.

staka said:
I believe the remaining alcohol increased 21 Celcius.

If that is the case you will need to revise (very slightly) your answer to account for the heat required to heat 26.41 g of the alcohol through 21o. It's probably small enough to neglect.

1. What is molar enthalpy?

Molar enthalpy, also known as molar heat of combustion, is the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of a substance undergoes complete combustion at constant pressure and temperature.

2. How is molar enthalpy measured?

Molar enthalpy is typically measured using a bomb calorimeter, which is a device that allows for the complete combustion of a substance in a closed, controlled environment. The temperature change of the surrounding water is then used to calculate the molar enthalpy.

3. What is the significance of molar enthalpy in chemistry?

Molar enthalpy is an important concept in chemistry as it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It can also be used to calculate the efficiency of a fuel or to compare the energy content of different substances.

4. How does molar enthalpy relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Molar enthalpy is a measure of the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction, and therefore, it is in accordance with the first law of thermodynamics.

5. Can molar enthalpy be negative?

Yes, molar enthalpy can be negative if the reaction releases heat, meaning it is exothermic. On the other hand, a positive molar enthalpy indicates an endothermic reaction, where heat is absorbed.