Net Electric Field at 4 cm from a 40 nC Charged Particle A - Homework Solution

In summary, two charged particles A and B are 8 cm apart. At a point 4 cm from A, the net electric field is 0. The charge of A is 40 nC. What can we conclude about the charge of B?
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

if I have two charged particles A and B and are distanced 8 cm apart. At a point 4 cm from
A, the net electric field is 0. The charge of A is 40 nC. What can we conclude about the charge of B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From my point of view B can be 40nC as well.. however I am not sure if there are some other answers as well. I am pretty sure there can be more than 1 answer

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two points that are 4cm from A where the fields can cancel. They can cancel at the midpoint of A and B or they can cancel 4cm away from A on the opposite side of A from B.

hmm..not clear on what you meant here.. do you mind giving me a picture? how about B's charged magnitude? how large does it have to be?

I'm not very good at pictures. Suppose the charges are on the x-axis. Put A at x=0cm and B at x=8cm. Then the third location could be either at x=4cm or x=(-4)cm. If x=4cm, I agree with you, the charges should be equal. How about at x=(-4)cm?

well if it's at -4cm then the distance between A and B is only 4 cm away right? A is at 0 and B is at -4?

No, A stays at 0cm and B stays at 8cm. Call the third point C=(-4)cm. C is 4cm from A and 12cm from B, right? What does the charge at B have to be to cancel the E field at C?

I get the picture you're trying to say now. However...how do I calculate the magnitude of B based on that info??

Use E=k*Q/r^2. You know the distance r for each charge and you know Q for A is 40nC. Write an equation that they sum to zero and solve for the charge at B.

so EA + EB = 0
k*40/4^2 + k*X/12^2 = 0

and I need to solve for X?

Yeah, sure. Solve for x!

okay the answer I got is 360nC, is that right? and are those the only two points from A where the fields cancels?

I get -360nC, don't you? The sign is important. At any other point besides those two there is an angle between the two E fields. Can two fields cancel if they are are at different angles?

yes, I missed the negative signs.. as far as I know they can't cancel if it's at a different angles.. correct?

Yes. Two vectors can only cancel if they are negatives of each other. So they have to point along the same line.

okay.. so the conclusion is only these two, where B is 40nC and B is -360nC

Seems so to me. Ok with you?

Seems fine with me, I am just worried that I missed some answers.

FAQ: Net Electric Field at 4 cm from a 40 nC Charged Particle A - Homework Solution

1. What is the formula for calculating the net electric field at a given distance from a charged particle?

The formula for calculating the net electric field at a given distance from a charged particle is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle.

2. How do I determine the direction of the net electric field at a specific point?

The direction of the net electric field at a specific point can be determined by the direction of the electric field vectors of all the individual charged particles present in the system. The direction of the electric field vector is always in the direction of the force on a positive test charge placed at that point.

3. Can the net electric field at a point be zero?

Yes, the net electric field at a point can be zero if there are equal and opposite charges present at that point. In this case, the electric field vectors will cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

4. How does the distance from the charged particle affect the strength of the net electric field?

The strength of the net electric field decreases as the distance from the charged particle increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases by the square of the distance from the particle.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the net electric field?

The unit of measurement for the net electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C), or volts per meter (V/m). Both of these units represent the strength of the electric field at a given point.