1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net electric field

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if I have two charged particles A and B and are distanced 8 cm apart. At a point 4 cm from
    A, the net electric field is 0. The charge of A is 40 nC. What can we conclude about the charge of B?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From my point of view B can be 40nC as well.. however I am not sure if there are some other answers as well. I am pretty sure there can be more than 1 answer

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two points that are 4cm from A where the fields can cancel. They can cancel at the midpoint of A and B or they can cancel 4cm away from A on the opposite side of A from B.

4. Jan 18, 2009 #3
    hmm..not clear on what you meant here.. do you mind giving me a picture? how about B's charged magnitude? how large does it have to be?

5. Jan 18, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not very good at pictures. Suppose the charges are on the x-axis. Put A at x=0cm and B at x=8cm. Then the third location could be either at x=4cm or x=(-4)cm. If x=4cm, I agree with you, the charges should be equal. How about at x=(-4)cm?

6. Jan 18, 2009 #5
    well if it's at -4cm then the distance between A and B is only 4 cm away right? A is at 0 and B is at -4?

7. Jan 18, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, A stays at 0cm and B stays at 8cm. Call the third point C=(-4)cm. C is 4cm from A and 12cm from B, right? What does the charge at B have to be to cancel the E field at C?

8. Jan 18, 2009 #7
    I get the picture you're trying to say now. However...how do I calculate the magnitude of B based on that info??

9. Jan 18, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use E=k*Q/r^2. You know the distance r for each charge and you know Q for A is 40nC. Write an equation that they sum to zero and solve for the charge at B.

10. Jan 18, 2009 #9
    so EA + EB = 0
    k*40/4^2 + k*X/12^2 = 0

and I need to solve for X?

11. Jan 18, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, sure. Solve for x!

12. Jan 18, 2009 #11
    okay the answer I got is 360nC, is that right? and are those the only two points from A where the fields cancels?

13. Jan 18, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get -360nC, don't you? The sign is important. At any other point besides those two there is an angle between the two E fields. Can two fields cancel if they are are at different angles?

14. Jan 18, 2009 #13
    yes, I missed the negative signs.. as far as I know they can't cancel if it's at a different angles.. correct?

15. Jan 18, 2009 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Two vectors can only cancel if they are negatives of each other. So they have to point along the same line.

16. Jan 18, 2009 #15
    okay.. so the conclusion is only these two, where B is 40nC and B is -360nC

17. Jan 18, 2009 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems so to me. Ok with you?

18. Jan 19, 2009 #17
    Seems fine with me, I am just worried that I missed some answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?