Solving Masses and Pulley for Acceleration and Tension

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of masses 1.80 kg and 6.05 kg connected by a massless string over a pulley with a solid disk of mass 10.0 kg and radius 0.250 m. The blocks are on an inclined fixed block of angle 30.0° and have a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.360. Using the equations for net torque and net force, the acceleration of the blocks and the tension on the right side of the pulley can be determined.
00PS

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 1.80 kg and a block of mass m2 = 6.05 kg are connected by a massless string over a pulley in the shape of a solid disk having radius R = 0.250 m and mass M = 10.0 kg. These blocks are allowed to move on a fixed block-wedge of angle θ = 30.0° as in Figure P10.37. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.360 for both blocks

Determine the acceleration of the two blocks, and the tension on the right side of the pulley.

Homework Equations

tNET=Iw<---omega
I(disk)=(1/2)mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above for net torque and found that a(tangential)=(r*tNET)/I. I know the tensions of the blocks times the radius gives me the torque but wouldn't one of them be negative? I am also having trouble finding the net forces on the blocks.

Attachments

• pse6_p10-37.gif
    pse6_p10-37.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
00PS said:
I used the equation above for net torque and found that a(tangential)=(r*tNET)/I.
OK.
I know the tensions of the blocks times the radius gives me the torque but wouldn't one of them be negative?
One tension force exerts a clockwise torque, the other a counterclockwise torque.
I am also having trouble finding the net forces on the blocks.
Analyze the forces on each block and apply Newton's 2nd law. That will give you two more equations.

thanks Doc, I figured out the problem...I forgot to compensate for the second mass on an incline hence, trig. ughhh...

Related to Solving Masses and Pulley for Acceleration and Tension

1. How do I calculate the acceleration in a system involving masses and pulleys?

In order to calculate the acceleration in a system involving masses and pulleys, you will need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the system, m is the total mass of the system, and a is the resulting acceleration. You will also need to consider the tension in the ropes or cables connecting the masses and pulleys.

2. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration in a system with masses and pulleys?

In a system with masses and pulleys, the tension in the ropes or cables is directly related to the acceleration of the system. As the acceleration increases, the tension in the ropes will also increase. This is because the tension in the ropes is responsible for providing the net force necessary to accelerate the system.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the acceleration in a system with masses and pulleys?

The number of pulleys in a system with masses and pulleys does not directly affect the acceleration. However, it can affect the amount of tension in the ropes and cables, which can indirectly affect the acceleration. For example, using multiple pulleys can distribute the weight of the masses and reduce the tension in the ropes, resulting in a slower acceleration.

4. Can the masses in a system with pulleys have different values?

Yes, the masses in a system with pulleys can have different values. In fact, using masses with different values can create a more complex and interesting system to study. However, when calculating the acceleration, you will need to use the total mass of the system, which includes all of the masses and any other objects that may be connected to the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving masses and pulleys for acceleration and tension?

Solving masses and pulleys for acceleration and tension has many real-world applications. For example, this concept can be applied in engineering projects where pulleys are used to lift or move heavy objects. It is also used in the study of physics to understand the forces and motion involved in complex systems. Additionally, this concept can be seen in everyday objects such as elevators, cranes, and even simple machines like a bicycle.