1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-dimensionalization - Given heat balance EQ, convert to a dimensionless EQ

1. Jul 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define a dimensionless radial coordinate as

[tex]x\,=\,r\,\sqrt{\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}}[/tex]

and introduce [itex]y\,=\,T\,-\,T_a[/itex], and thus show the elementary equation

[tex]x^2\,\frac{d^2y}{dx}\,+\,x\,\frac{dy}{dx}\,-\,x^2\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

describes the physical situation.

It gives the "physical situation" equation in the previous problem:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\,\frac{d}{dr}\,\left(r\,\frac{dT}{dr}\right)\,-\,\left(\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}\right)\,\left(T\,-\,T_a\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Non-dimensionalization

3. The attempt at a solution

Re-expressing the constants

[tex]z\,=\,\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}[/tex]

solving the dimensionless radial coordinate for r

[tex]r\,=\,\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}[/tex]

Now, I substitute these along with [itex]y\,=\,T\,-\,T_a[/tex] into the "physical situation" equation that I am supposed to non-dimensionalize

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\left[\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\right]\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

What do I do about the denominator in the second and fourth fractions?

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like sqrt(z) is just a constant. So d(x/sqrt(z))=dx/sqrt(z). z should cancel out of the equation altogether.

4. Jul 18, 2007 #3
    Yes, [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] is only a constant.

So you are saying that

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,=\,\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}[/tex]

Right? So, does that mean that

[tex]\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}\,=\,\frac{d\sqrt{z}}{dx}\,=\,\frac{d}{dx}\sqrt{z}\,=\,0[/tex]

since [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] is constant?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. Jul 18, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Riggghhhhtttt.

6. Jul 18, 2007 #5
    But when I apply that to the equation above

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\left[\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\right]\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

There is division by zero and it just zeros out the whole equation. I am supposed to show that it is of the form

7. Jul 18, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Division by zero?????? z is nonzero. It cancels inside the brackets and gives a common factor of z for the two terms.

8. Jul 18, 2007 #7

The [itex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}[/itex] terms cancel each other out to one

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Now what? Multiply it all by [itex]d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)[/itex]?

If I do that, I get

[tex]d\left(dT\right)\,-\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Then what?

9. Jul 18, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It (sqrt(z)) cancels inside the brackets and gives a common factor of z for the two terms on the left hand side of the equation. Which can be factored out. 0/z=0. That is not division by zero. Don't make me repeat this again.

10. Jul 18, 2007 #9
    You are saying that z "cancels inside the brackets". Can you show how you arrive at that conclusion, because I don't see how z cancels.

11. Jul 18, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. (x/sqrt(z))*dT/d(x/sqrt(z))=(x/sqrt(z))*sqrt(z)*(dT/dx)=x*(dT/dx). 1/sqrt(z) is in the denominator of the differential. Move it into the numerator as sqrt(z) and then cancel with the sqrt(z) in the denominator of the first factor. Differentials are a lot like fractions if that is what is bothering you.

12. Jul 18, 2007 #11
    OIC, from the equality in the third post

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,=\,\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}\,=\,\sqrt{z}\,\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

If I apply that to the steady-state heat balance equation as you have shown, I get

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\sqrt{z}\,\frac{d}{dx}\left(x\,\frac{dT}{dx}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{d}{dx}\left(x\,\frac{dT}{dx}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z}{x}\left(\frac{dT}{dx}\,+\,x\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]z\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Which is the form I am looking to show if I consider [itex]z\,=\,x^2[/itex].

So, the [itex]x^2[/itex] term in the general equation is equivalent to z in the heat balance equation. Does this conclude the problem?

Thank you for the help:smile:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  13. Jul 19, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot consider x^2=z. z is constant, x is not. Cancel z from this:

[tex]z\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx }\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

and multiply the result by x^2.

14. Jul 19, 2007 #13
    So, I divide both sides of

[tex]z\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

by z to get

[tex]\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{1}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

and then multiply everything by [itex]x^2[/itex] to get

[tex]x^2\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,x\,\frac{dT}{dx }\,-\,x^2\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Why do I multiply by [itex]x^2[/itex] though?

15. Jul 19, 2007 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just because that was the form you said you wanted to show in the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?