Non uniform charge density and electric potential

In summary: A?dV is in volts, not in meters. dV is integrated over the potential belonging to zero charge to the actual potential V(A) of the total charge of the rod. The integral on the right-hand side goes along the length of the rod, from x= to x=9.8 m.
usfelectrical
As shown in the figure, a rod of length 9.8 m lies along the x-axis, with its left end at the origin. The rod has a non-uniform linear charge density λ = αx, where α = 0.009 C/m2 and x is the position. Point A lies on the x-axis a distance 3.59 m to the left of the rod, as shown in the figure.
Q is the total charge on the rod. The Coulomb constant is 8.988 × 109 N m2/C2.

Find the potentia at A, and answer in units of volts

the two relevant equations i can find are:
v=kq/r
dv=kdq/r and lambda=qx?

i am completely stuck on this problem and just need to find a way to start it. I though that you might be able to integrate the charge density formula over the total area of the rod and treat that value as Q and then plug that value into v=kq/r where r is the 3.59, but apparently that is worng and i am back to square one with no idea as to what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
usfelectrical said:
v=kq/r
dv=kdq/r and lambda=qx?

i am completely stuck on this problem and just need to find a way to start it. I though that you might be able to integrate the charge density formula over the total area of the rod and treat that value as Q and then plug that value into v=kq/r where r is the 3.59, but apparently that is worng and i am back to square one with no idea as to what to do

The potential is additive, you need to integrate the contribution dV of a small segment of the rod dx with charge dq=λdx for the whole rod:
V(A)=∫(kdq/r)=∫(kλdx/r).

ehild

Attachments

• chargedrod.JPG
    chargedrod.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:
wait so then what would be the values for the r? cause i have been using just 3.95 since that's the distance of your point away from the rod but it doesn't work

usfelectrical said:
wait so then what would be the values for the r? cause i have been using just 3.95 since that's the distance of your point away from the rod but it doesn't work
Maybe this will help: r = 3.59 + x

ok, so then in the last integral you will have a ln, but would that be the same that you integrate over?

usfelectrical said:
As shown in the figure, a rod of length 9.8 m lies along the x-axis, with its left end at the origin. The rod has a non-uniform linear charge density λ = αx, where α = 0.009 C/m2 and x is the position. Point A lies on the x-axis a distance 3.59 m to the left of the rod, as shown in the figure.
Q is the total charge on the rod. The Coulomb constant is 8.988 × 109 N m2/C2.

Find the potentia at A, and answer in units of volts

v=kq/r
dv=kdq/r and lambda=qx?

This equation is wrong. It should be dq = [itex]\lambda[/itex]x dx.

Integrate this over the total length of the rod to get [itex]\lambda[/itex] expressed in terms of q. Then integrate dv=kdq/r to get total v at A.

i know that you have to integrate dq over the rod, what I'm saying is what do you integrate dv over?

dV is the contribution from dq to the potential at A (with respect to infinity). The integral of dV is simply V(A) the potential at A. Without charge, V is zero.

ehild

ok, so the integral for dv would be from 0 to 3.59 because you're integrating to the potential at A?

dV is in volts, not in meters. dV is integrated over the potential belonging to zero charge to the actual potential V(A) of the total charge of the rod. The integral on the right-hand side goes along the length of the rod, from x= to x=9.8 m.
You need to use the 3.59 m in the term "r", distance from the charge dq to A.

ehild

Last edited:

FAQ: Non uniform charge density and electric potential

What is non-uniform charge density?

Non-uniform charge density refers to a situation where the distribution of electric charge is not evenly spread out. This means that the charge is concentrated in certain areas and may be sparse in others. It can also refer to a situation where the charge is continuously changing, such as in a moving electric current.

What causes non-uniform charge density?

Non-uniform charge density can be caused by a variety of factors. One common cause is the presence of conductive materials, such as metals, which can accumulate charge in certain areas. It can also be caused by the movement of charged particles, such as in an electric current. Additionally, non-uniform charge density can be a result of external factors, such as the presence of other electric fields.

How does non-uniform charge density affect electric potential?

Non-uniform charge density can have a significant impact on the electric potential in a given system. In areas where the charge is dense, the electric potential will be higher, while in areas with lower charge density, the potential will be lower. This can result in an uneven distribution of potential energy throughout the system, which can affect the movement of charged particles.

Can non-uniform charge density be measured?

Yes, non-uniform charge density can be measured through various techniques, such as using a voltmeter to measure the electric potential at different points in the system. It can also be visually observed through the use of electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space.

What are some real-world applications of non-uniform charge density and electric potential?

Non-uniform charge density and electric potential have many practical applications. They are essential for understanding and designing electronic devices, such as computer chips, and for studying the behavior of charged particles in various systems, such as in plasma physics. They also play a crucial role in technologies such as electrostatic precipitators, which are used to remove particulate matter from industrial exhaust gases.

Back