Optics Problem: What am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the apparent radius of a luminous star viewed from a location far away in vacuum. The participants discuss different approaches and methods to solve the problem, with some differences in their answers. One participant provides a different approach which results in the same answer as another participant's method. Finally, the original problem is found online and it is noted that the given R2>nR1 condition must be incorporated to solve it.
xenogizmo
Hey Everyone..
I'm having trouble with this question, I think I have this question figured out but my answer is coming out incorrect... Tell me if there is a flaw in my logic.. question is:

"Suppose that a luminous star of radius R1=1.74×108 m is surrounded by a uniform atmosphere extending up to a radius R2=4.28×108 m and with index of refraction n=1.82. When the sphere is viewed from a location far away in vacuum, what is its apparent radius?"

What I did was consider the outer edge of the atmosphere a spherical refracting surface.. and using the equation: n1/P + n2/q = (n2-n1)/R
(sorry for not using latex)

And then I took a point from the star's surface, and take the distance form the atmosphere to that point the image distance (where P is just R2 - R1).
I also took n1 as 1.82 and n2 as 1 since it's just vacuum.. and according to the sign conventions the radius should be negative..

After I got the image distance (which was negative, a virtual image), I subtracted it's absolute value from R2, and that should be apparent radius. Am I wrong?

Thx,
Xeno

Physics news on Phys.org
btw, the answer I got when I did this was 2.313x10^8 m

there's a hint on that question but it made sense to me.. Here it is just in case: "What is special about the case R2 > n*R1? "

Ideas anyone?

Suppose that a luminous star of radius R1=1.74×108 m is surrounded by a uniform atmosphere extending up to a radius R2=4.28×108 m and with index of refraction n=1.82. When the sphere is viewed from a location far away in vacuum, what is its apparent radius?"

What I did was consider the outer edge of the atmosphere a spherical refracting surface.. and using the equation: n1/P + n2/q = (n2-n1)/R
(sorry for not using latex)[\quote]

I got a different answer (3.18 x 10^8) using the same method as yours. Although this might not be correct, retry the problem precisely.

GeneralChemTutor said:
Suppose that a luminous star of radius R1=1.74×108 m is surrounded by a uniform atmosphere extending up to a radius R2=4.28×108 m and with index of refraction n=1.82. When the sphere is viewed from a location far away in vacuum, what is its apparent radius?"

[\quote]

I got a different answer (3.18 x 10^8)

This is an other approach, with the same result as yours. See attached picture.

Consider the ray emerging from a surface point S of the star. It is refracted at the edge of the atmosphere, and travels toward the observer. He sees that point at the apparent distance d from the center of the star.

[tex]d=R_2 \sin {\alpha} [/tex]

We have the relation

[tex] \frac{sin{\beta}}{\sin{\gamma}}=\frac{R_1}{R_2} [/tex]

between the angles of the yellow triangle.

According to Snell's law,

[tex] n \sin{\beta} = \sin{\alpha} [/tex]

These result in

[tex] \sin{\alpha} = \frac{R_1}{R_2} n \sin {\gamma} [/tex]

The apparent radius of the star is obtained with the maximum of sin(alpha).

[tex] R_{ap} = R_2 (\sin{\alpha})_{max}[/tex]

This can be R2 if nR1 is greater than or equal to R2. Otherwise it is nR1, when gamma = pi/2.

nR1 = 1.74×108*1.82 = 3.17×108 m. This is less than R2, so Rap = 3.17×108 m.

ehild

Last edited:
I found the original problem online and it seems that they wanted the answer in your form, since one had to incorporate the given R2>nR1

1. What is the purpose of this optics problem?

The purpose of this optics problem is to test your understanding of optical principles and your ability to apply them to solve problems.

2. Why am I struggling to solve this optics problem?

There could be a few reasons why you are struggling to solve this optics problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying principles, not applying the correct equations or formulas, or not properly setting up the problem.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for optics?

To improve your problem-solving skills for optics, it is important to have a solid understanding of the principles and equations involved. Practice solving a variety of problems and review your approach and solutions. Seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. Is it necessary to use calculus to solve this optics problem?

It depends on the specific problem and the level of detail required. Some optics problems can be solved using basic algebraic equations, while others may require the use of calculus. It is important to understand the concepts behind the equations being used, rather than just relying on memorization.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to solve this optics problem?

If you are still unable to solve the optics problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving each part individually. You can also ask for help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor. It is important to not get discouraged and to keep practicing and reviewing the principles and equations involved.