Partition Coefficients: What Do They Tell Us?

In summary, the partition coefficient is a measure of how soluble a substance is in different compounds. A low partition coefficient indicates that the substance is less soluble in that compound. In the given experiment, 0.0555g of Benzoic acid was mixed with water and methylene chloride, resulting in two layers. Further experimentation showed that 0.011g of BA was present in the methylene chloride layer, giving a partition coefficient of around 0.25. This suggests that BA is more soluble in water, contradicting the known fact that BA is more soluble in methylene chloride. This confusion may be due to a misunderstanding of intensive and extensive properties, as the volumes of the compounds used were not mentioned.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

What exactly does partition coefficient tell us? if I have a low partition coefficient, does that mean its less soluble in that compound?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had .0555g Benzoic acid mixed with water and methylene chloride. It formed two layers of which BA (Benzoic acid) is dissolved in water or methylene chloride. I pippeted out the methylene chloride and heated it, and there is .011g of BA in the vial. I got a partition coefficient of around .25. Does this mean that BA is more soluable in water since .0445g of BA was still in water?

But this doesn't make sense because when I looked it up, it says BA is more soluble in methylene chloride.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are confusing intensive and extensive properties. You have not mentioned volumes - what they were?

Related to Partition Coefficients: What Do They Tell Us?

1. What are partition coefficients?

Partition coefficients are a measure of the distribution of a substance between two immiscible phases, typically a hydrophobic and a hydrophilic phase. They indicate how much of a substance is present in each phase at equilibrium.

2. How are partition coefficients determined?

Partition coefficients are determined experimentally by measuring the concentration of a substance in each phase at equilibrium. The ratio of the concentrations in each phase gives the partition coefficient.

3. What factors influence partition coefficients?

The physical and chemical properties of a substance, such as its molecular size, shape, and polarity, can influence its partition coefficient. The nature of the two phases and their interactions with the substance can also affect the partition coefficient.

4. What information can we learn from partition coefficients?

Partition coefficients can provide insights into the solubility, lipophilicity, and bioavailability of a substance. They can also be used to predict the distribution and accumulation of a substance in different tissues or organs in the body.

5. How are partition coefficients used in scientific research?

Partition coefficients are commonly used in drug discovery and development to optimize the properties of a drug, such as its solubility and permeability. They are also used in environmental studies to understand the fate and transport of pollutants in different media.