Path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a string as it wraps around a cylinder, specifically in circular motion with a decreasing radius. The speaker is interested in defining this motion using equations, potentially incorporating a logarithmic spiral or the concept of an involute of a circle. They also mention the potential complication of the shortening radius. The conversation references previous discussions on torque, force, and angular momentum, and suggests considering the motion as a rotation and translation coupled via the radius.
PKU
Hey,
Most related questions here specifically talk about torque, force, angular momentum/velocity etc. I just want to know how I can aptly describe the motion of the tip of some string as it wraps around a cylinder. So basically, the path of an object in circular motion with a decreasing radius. But I'd like to know how exactly I can define that in an equation (cartesian and polar) if I know the radius of the cylinder and the length of the string.

Previously I was just trying to describe that the end of the string will always stay tangent to the circular face of the cylinder, and I simply substracted the length of the string that was making contact with the string from the full length. I'm mostly just interested in 100 deg of motion, not the continual wrapping around the object.

I figure a spiral path would most aptly describe the motion, but I would like to know how I can specifically define that. I had also been toying around with the idea of just using the equation of a circle with a differential radius, but I don't think that would give me good results.

Any help/advice would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a simple logarithmic spiral but that may only work if the string were rotating around a point and getting shorter. Wrapping around a cylinder is more complicated.

PKU said:
I just want to know how I can aptly describe the motion of the tip of some string as it wraps around a cylinder. So basically, the path of an object in circular motion with a decreasing radius.
Note, that this equivalent to motion of a point on the ground, in the reference frame of a rolling wheel. So basically rotation and translation coupled via the radius.

A.T. said:
Note, that this equivalent to motion of a point on the ground, in the reference frame of a rolling wheel. So basically rotation and translation coupled via the radius.

How does that include the shortening radius?

Haven't done it myself but...

Perhaps start with an equation for the point (circle) where the string meets the cylinder (perhaps in terms of the angle θ to the x axis) and add a displacement to get to the free end. The displacement will be orthogonal to the "radius" and the length of the displacement can be calculated as the initial length of the rope minus a fractional part of the circumference.

Related to Path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder

1. What is the "Path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder"?

The "Path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder" refers to the shape or trajectory that a string takes when it is wrapped around a cylinder. This phenomenon is commonly observed in physics and mathematics experiments involving string and cylindrical objects.

2. What factors affect the path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder?

The path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder is affected by several factors, including the radius of the cylinder, the length and thickness of the string, and the tension applied to the string. In addition, the material of the string and the surface of the cylinder can also have an impact on the path.

3. How is the path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder calculated?

The path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the law of sines. These calculations take into account the various factors mentioned above, as well as the angle at which the string is wrapped around the cylinder.

4. What real-world applications does the path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder have?

The path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder has several real-world applications, such as in the design of pulley systems and rope bridges. It is also relevant in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics, where understanding the behavior of strings and cylindrical objects is important.

5. Can the path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder be altered?

Yes, the path of the end of a string wrapping around cylinder can be altered by changing the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the tension on the string or changing the angle at which it is wrapped around the cylinder can result in a different path. Additionally, using different materials for the string or the cylinder can also impact the path.