PC fraud by changing properties

In summary: Startup items.I'd guess it's somewhere in the registry.Without any pictures of the interface, it's easy to speculate about all kinds of possibilities, like a Windows-like Linux distribution.In summary, some scammers may use a device driver CD/DVD to install a small OS on a PC, or a fake-looking interface that tricks the user into thinking the PC is genuine. This may result in startup troubles.
mech-eng
How can some PC scammers change the properties of a pc and its device manager to sell it to a high price? How can show another PC's device manager as that of the another PC?

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If there was a way to put it up there, there's a way to change it. I'd guess it's somewhere in the registry.

Isn't it a simple and well-known method? I suspect that the swindler might take an academic position in an instutition. I have some clues even though they are weak.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Isn't it a simple and well-known method?

Perhaps

mech-eng said:
I suspect that the swindler might take an academic position in an instutition.

Sounds like something you need to handle personally.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Perhaps
Sounds like something you need to handle personally.

Yes but I am wondering a lot about this trick.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
How can some PC scammers change the properties of a pc and its device manager to sell it to a high price? How can show another PC's device manager as that of the another PC?
I've never heard of this in 18+ years in computer security, but I can think if two ways this may be accomplished:

- Malware code that hijacks the execution of the Device Manager interface to present false information (third-party tools like Speccy would not be affected).
- Sophisticated rootkit that intercepts the Windows hardware API calls.​

In either case, most modern antivirus programs would detect this behavior.

Likes OCR
stoomart said:
I've never heard of this in 18+ years in computer security, but I can think if two ways this may be accomplished:

- Malware code that hijacks the execution of the Device Manager interface to present false information (third-party tools like Speccy would not be affected).
- Sophisticated rootkit that intercepts the Windows hardware API calls.​

In either case, most modern antivirus programs would detect this behavior.

It was a win 7 notebook, it was like every part of interface was fake. The wireless symbol had a strange behavior. The device manager, control panel and right-clicking on my computer symbol was working properly and I could enter the harddisk. When I shutdown the monitor after turning it and clicking win symbol the operating system was still working properly i.e it could pass to the sleep mode. But when I shut down the pc properly and re-start it didn't boot instead gave the notification of PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable.

1. Do you think this is still a job of a virus or rootkit?

2. Is this a simple trick?

3. Can the swindler be a programmer and created a completely fake interface?

Thank you.

Last edited:
mech-eng said:
Do you think this is still a job of a virus or rootkit?
Did you look... here ?

mech-eng said:
It was a win 7 notebook, it was like every part of interface was fake. The wireless symbol had a strange behavior. The device manager, control panel and right-clicking on my computer symbol was working properly and I could enter the harddisk. When I shutdown the monitor after turning it and clicking win symbol the operating system was still working properly i.e it could pass to the sleep mode. But when I shut down the pc properly and re-start it didn't boot instead gave the notification of PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable.

Thank you.
Without any pictures of the interface, it's easy to speculate about all kinds of possibilities, like a Windows-like Linux distribution.

The PXE boot error means there is no bootable device, so the system may have been booted from a Linux USB, with no OS installed on the hard disk.

A fake-looking interface and not being able to reboot seems like a good indicator the system is being misrepresented.

mech-eng said:

Thank you.
Simplest explanation: Something is connected to your PC and looks like a hard disk. I have had startup troubles from:
  • A printer with a hard-disk like interface (it had to be shut down or disconnected during boot-up)
  • A device driver CD/DVD containing a small OS (usually a Linux variant)
  • An activated USB stick
Start by disconnecting every peripheral, every USB thing and empty all removable drives.
Then reconnect a keyboard and try to boot up. Do you see any difference?
If the problem persists, try hitting [F8] on booting...

Open the BIOS and check what the boot order is. I'm guessing the USB or Network is the primary boot source, which a scammer would be able to boot up, then disconnect and run without being able to reboot. You can do the same thing by putting an Ubuntu Live CD in your machine and booting it up. Once you take the disk out, Ubuntu will continue to run, but you can not access the real hard drive and rebooting will now bring your session back.

What is PC fraud by changing properties?

PC fraud by changing properties refers to the act of intentionally modifying the settings or properties of a computer system in order to deceive or scam others. This can include changing the date and time, location, user information, or other system settings to gain unauthorized access or manipulate data for fraudulent purposes.

How does PC fraud by changing properties occur?

PC fraud by changing properties can occur through various methods, such as installing malware or spyware programs, exploiting vulnerabilities in the operating system, or tricking users into providing sensitive information through phishing scams. It can also occur through physical access to the computer system.

What are the potential consequences of PC fraud by changing properties?

The consequences of PC fraud by changing properties can include financial loss, identity theft, data breaches, and damage to the reputation of individuals or businesses. It can also lead to legal consequences, as it is considered a form of cybercrime and is punishable by law.

How can individuals protect themselves from PC fraud by changing properties?

To protect themselves from PC fraud by changing properties, individuals can take preventive measures such as installing reputable antivirus software, using strong and unique passwords, being cautious of suspicious emails or links, and regularly updating their operating system and software.

What should I do if I suspect that I have been a victim of PC fraud by changing properties?

If you suspect that you have been a victim of PC fraud by changing properties, it is important to take immediate action. This includes disconnecting from the internet, scanning your computer for malware, changing your passwords, and reporting the incident to the appropriate authorities, such as your bank or local law enforcement agency.