Phase Diagram Question: How to Solve with Ease | No Template Needed

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the composition of a phase but is having difficulty understanding concepts related to the lever rule.
mrblanco
THIS HOMEWORK WAS PLACED INCORRECTLY IN ANOTHER FORUM, SO THERE IS NO TEMPLATE (AND NO EFFORT)

I have no idea how to tackle this. Please show me how to do these problems.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1427344779.639261.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that:

> y = temperature and x = molar fraction of Ni
> The phase diagram shows liquid and solid phases
> At 1000° and x(Ni)=0.5 , AlNi has a solid phase
This is only a brief suggestion; however let’s wait for an answer by an expert.

Mrblanco, You need to read the PF rules and guidelines. Before we can help you, there needs to be some effort on your part. Saying that you don't have a clue is not an acceptable answer. Tell us your understanding of how phase diagrams work, even if it is very little.

Chet

Ok. So I understand how to get the phases present at each stage and I went ahead and labeled where each point should fall on, however, I don't understand how to get the composition of each phase or the amount of phases. Here is what I have so far:

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1427377417.449802.jpg

And I was given part (d) as an example but it's honestly made the problem more confusing as I am just given answers and no way of determining them
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1427377498.118081.jpg

It looks like there is something wrong with the solution sheet for part d. They correctly identified the phases present, and then calculated the proportions of the phases. But, in displaying the proportions, they mis-labeled Ni as Al3Ni2. They calculated the proportions by drawing a "tie line" and applying the "lever rule." Are you familiar with these concepts?

Chet

Yes. I actually just had one of those "aha" moments for the composition while looking at this again, however, the lever rule concept still escapes me

mrblanco said:
Yes. I actually just had one of those "aha" moments for the composition while looking at this again, however, the lever rule concept still escapes me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever_rule

Related to Phase Diagram Question: How to Solve with Ease | No Template Needed

1. What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the states of matter (solid, liquid, and gas) that a substance can exist in at different combinations of temperature and pressure.

2. What information can be found on a phase diagram?

A phase diagram shows the boundaries between the different phases of a substance, as well as the conditions at which these phases can coexist (such as the melting point and boiling point).

3. How is a phase diagram useful?

A phase diagram can help scientists predict the behavior of a substance under different conditions, such as how it will change from one phase to another or at what temperature and pressure it will undergo a phase transition.

4. What factors affect the shape of a phase diagram?

The shape of a phase diagram is affected by the intermolecular forces between particles, the size and shape of the particles, and the temperature and pressure of the system.

5. Can a phase diagram be used to determine the stability of a substance?

Yes, a phase diagram can show the regions of stability for different phases of a substance. For example, a substance will be stable as a solid at low temperatures and pressures, but as the temperature and pressure increase, it may become unstable and transition into a liquid or gas phase.