1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise initial condition heat equation

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the solution to the heat equation, with the BC's and everything but the IC applied. So I am just trying to solve for the coefficients, the solution without the coefficients is
    $$u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n\sin(nx)e^{-n^2t}$$
    If the initial condition is ##u(x,0) = f(x)## such that $$f(x) = \begin{cases}
    0 & 0 < x < \frac{\pi}{3} \\
    100 & \frac{\pi}{3} < x < \frac{2\pi}{3} \\
    0 & \frac{2\pi}{3} < x < \pi
    \end{cases}
    $$
    I used the formula $$A_m = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^\pi f(x)\sin(mx)dx=\frac{200}{m\pi}\bigg[\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}m) - cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}m)\bigg]$$

I couldn't find a pattern in the coefficients other than all the even indices go to ##0##. Also is this even correct? When I try to graph this at ##t=0## it isn't giving me the piecewise function ##f(x)##. Is it just that I didn't use enough terms to make it noticeable? Also how would I show that at any time ##t>0## the temperature distribution in the rod achieves a local maximum at ##x=\pi/2##?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

That's right. Use more terms. I used 100, and it was still pretty rough. Fourier sums like your solution work well for smooth functions, abrupt changes like that require a lot of terms to reproduce.

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3
    $$\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}m) - cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}m)=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}m\right)-2\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{3}m\right)+1$$
    m=1: ##\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=1##
    m = 2: ##-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=0##
    m=3: ##-1-2+1=-2##
    m=4: ##-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=0##
    m=5: ##1##
    m=6: ##0##
    m=7: ##1##
    m=8: ##0##
    m=9: ##-2##

There are 3 separate summations.

For m=6k+1 (k=0,1,2,...), the coeff is 1
    For m = 6k+3 (k=0,1,2,..), the coeff is -2
    For m = 6k+5 (k=0,1,2,...), the coeff is 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted