Piecewise initial condition heat equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the heat equation with boundary conditions and the initial condition applied. The solution involves solving for coefficients and using a formula to calculate them. The coefficients show a pattern where all even indices go to 0 and there are three separate summations for different values of m. The conversation also mentions using more terms to get a better graph and shows how to calculate the coefficients for specific values of m. Finally, it discusses how to show that the temperature distribution in the rod achieves a local maximum at x=π/2 for any time t>0.
raditzan

Homework Statement

I have the solution to the heat equation, with the BC's and everything but the IC applied. So I am just trying to solve for the coefficients, the solution without the coefficients is
$$u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n\sin(nx)e^{-n^2t}$$
If the initial condition is ##u(x,0) = f(x)## such that $$f(x) = \begin{cases}
0 & 0 < x < \frac{\pi}{3} \\
100 & \frac{\pi}{3} < x < \frac{2\pi}{3} \\
0 & \frac{2\pi}{3} < x < \pi
\end{cases}
$$
I used the formula $$A_m = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^\pi f(x)\sin(mx)dx=\frac{200}{m\pi}\bigg[\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}m) - cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}m)\bigg]$$

I couldn't find a pattern in the coefficients other than all the even indices go to ##0##. Also is this even correct? When I try to graph this at ##t=0## it isn't giving me the piecewise function ##f(x)##. Is it just that I didn't use enough terms to make it noticeable? Also how would I show that at any time ##t>0## the temperature distribution in the rod achieves a local maximum at ##x=\pi/2##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right. Use more terms. I used 100, and it was still pretty rough. Fourier sums like your solution work well for smooth functions, abrupt changes like that require a lot of terms to reproduce.

raditzan said:
I used the formula $$A_m = \frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^\pi f(x)\sin(mx)dx=\frac{200}{m\pi}\bigg[\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}m) - cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}m)\bigg]$$

I couldn't find a pattern in the coefficients other than all the even indices go to ##0##. Also is this even correct? When I try to graph this at ##t=0## it isn't giving me the piecewise function ##f(x)##. Is it just that I didn't use enough terms to make it noticeable? Also how would I show that at any time ##t>0## the temperature distribution in the rod achieves a local maximum at ##x=\pi/2##?

$$\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}m) - cos(\frac{2\pi}{3}m)=\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}m\right)-2\cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{3}m\right)+1$$
m=1: ##\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=1##
m = 2: ##-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=0##
m=3: ##-1-2+1=-2##
m=4: ##-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{2}+1=0##
m=5: ##1##
m=6: ##0##
m=7: ##1##
m=8: ##0##
m=9: ##-2##

There are 3 separate summations.

For m=6k+1 (k=0,1,2,...), the coeff is 1
For m = 6k+3 (k=0,1,2,..), the coeff is -2
For m = 6k+5 (k=0,1,2,...), the coeff is 1

1. What is the piecewise initial condition heat equation?

The piecewise initial condition heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a medium with varying initial conditions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving heat transfer.

2. How is the piecewise initial condition heat equation different from the standard heat equation?

The main difference between the two equations is that the piecewise initial condition heat equation takes into account varying initial conditions, while the standard heat equation assumes a constant initial condition throughout the medium.

3. What are some applications of the piecewise initial condition heat equation?

The piecewise initial condition heat equation is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. It can be applied to study heat transfer in objects with non-uniform composition or temperature, such as a metal rod with a heated end and a cold end.

4. How is the piecewise initial condition heat equation solved?

The equation is typically solved using numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve dividing the medium into smaller units and approximating the solution at each point using a set of equations.

5. What are the limitations of the piecewise initial condition heat equation?

The equation assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, and that the properties of the medium do not change with time. It also does not take into account any external sources of heat. Therefore, it may not accurately model certain complex systems with varying properties and external factors.