Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Flow Question - Fluid Mechanics

  1. Apr 24, 2010 #1

    literally trying on the off chance that someone could help me.

    basically doing an individual project in my third year at nottingham uni. Over the last 6 months i've built a pipe rig to measure the pressure drop over a test section.

    Now my tutor is a bit of an idiot, and said the way i should measure this is by looking at the head and the flow rate which comes out of the outlet.

    Now i've got some number and i've been painstakingly trying to get a pressure drop for the test section but not having any luck. Main problem is i have so much trouble applying my knowledge to actual problems.

    Anyway i've included a jpeg whch the design and added a few details.

    The head is 520mm, which is split 65mm in the tank and 455mm in the pipe which leads out of the tank.

    Mass flow rate measured from the outlet at C is 0.95kg/s

    Water is used to flow through the rig, so density is 1000kg/m^3

    If any one can point me in the right direction that would be great.

    Cheers in advance.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    Well your tutor is not a total idiot.

    The tank and outlet seem to be at atmouspheric pressure in your diagram so the pressure drop in the whole outlet line is equal to the head.

    To measure the actual pressure drop across your test section why don't you just connect a manometer at the two joints I see on either side?
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    I'm sure he's not an idiot. Perhaps i mean he is a cantankerous bastard.

    He's obviously very smart.

    I asked him whether or not i should connect a manometer and he said you don't need to do that, just measure the flow rate. so yeah :(
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook