Plot the lines of the electric field between a small point charge

In summary: The result is: F= &2qπδr dr. .This is just the electric field due to the charge. To find the potential, you need to add the potential field due to the infinite charged plate to this field.
galipop
I've been asked to complete electric field E and potential V inside and outside of a simple plate capacitor (the plates are infinitely large and the distance between the two plates is d.)

My working is as follows.

Inside the cap-
[tex]E = \frac{ \sigma } { \epsilon_{o} }[/tex]

then potential V=Ed

Outside the cap
E=0
V=0

does this seem to cover the question, or am I missing something?

Also I need to plot the lines of the electric field between a small point charge (+) and a large metal plate (charge -)...
for this I'm guessing the lines of the charge leave the charge going straight to the plate, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your LaTeX (there's a temporary problem with displaying LaTeX), but for the first part, your result is essentially correct. But the way to go about it would be to start with the electric field due to an infinite charged plate (sheet, wall, whatever).

For (2), your answer is incorrect. This is essentially a superposition problem. First draw the field lines for a single charge. Then draw them for a charged plate. Now combine the two.

Thanks for the reply!

Can you expand a bit more on starting with an electric field due to an infinite charged plate?

anyone? .

Imagine a point charge, q, at height l above the plane that has charge density δ. Take the point directly beneath the point charge as the origin of a polar coordinate system. Use polar coordinates since all points on a circle of radius r will have the same force on q: Their horizontal components cancel and their vertical components add. Taking a ring of radius r and width dr, the total area is 2π rdr so the charge is 2πδr dr. The straight line distance from q to a point on that circle is L= √(l2+ r2) so the vertical component of the total force from that ring is (2qπδ/L2)(l/L)= 2qπδl/L3. Integrate that with respect to r (don't forget that L is not a constant- it depends on r) from r= 0 to r= infinity.

1. What is the purpose of plotting the lines of the electric field between a small point charge?

The purpose of plotting the lines of the electric field is to visually represent the direction and strength of the electric field around a small point charge. This can help us understand the behavior of the electric field and how it interacts with other charges in its vicinity.

2. How do you plot the lines of the electric field between a small point charge?

To plot the lines of the electric field, we use a technique called field line mapping. This involves drawing lines in the direction of the electric field at various points around the point charge. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is in that region.

3. What factors affect the shape of the electric field lines in this scenario?

The shape of the electric field lines is affected by the magnitude and direction of the point charge, as well as the presence of other charges in the surrounding area. The electric field lines will also be affected by any conductive or dielectric materials present in the environment.

4. How do electric field lines behave around a small point charge?

Electric field lines around a small point charge will always point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge. They will also behave in a manner that is perpendicular to the surface of any conductive materials in the vicinity of the point charge.

5. What can we learn from plotting the lines of the electric field between a small point charge?

By plotting the lines of the electric field, we can learn about the strength and direction of the electric field around a point charge, which can help us understand how it will interact with other charges in its vicinity. We can also use this information to calculate the electric field strength at different points and analyze the behavior of the charge in different scenarios.