Pressure, force, hydraulic lift problem

In summary, a hydraulic lift filled with oil of density 690 kg/m3 has two connected pistons with cross-sectional areas of 25 cm2 and 630 cm2. To support a car of mass 1600 kg at equal fluid levels, approximately 63.5 kg of mass must be placed on the small piston. When a person of mass 100 kg gets into the car, the equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons is unknown and requires further analysis.
huskydc
A hydraulic lift has two connected pistons with cross-sectional areas 25 cm2 and 630 cm2. It is filled with oil of density 690 kg/m3.

I've found that approx. 63.5 kg of mass must be placed on the small piston to support a car of mass 1600 kg at equal fluid levels.

but then it asks...

With the lift in balance with equal fluid levels, a person of mass 100 kg gets into the car. What is the equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons?

I'm stuck here...any hints??

Physics news on Phys.org
oops, I'm sorry, i couldn't find my original post, i thought it got deleted somehow...sorry about that...

What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied to a given area. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as Pascals or pounds per square inch (psi).

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How does hydraulic lift work?

Hydraulic lift works by using Pascal's principle, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. This allows a small force to be applied to a small area (such as a piston) to generate a larger force on a larger area, thus creating a mechanical advantage.

What is the equation for pressure?

The equation for pressure is pressure = force / area. This means that as the force applied to a given area increases, the pressure also increases.

What factors affect the pressure in a hydraulic lift?

The pressure in a hydraulic lift is affected by the force applied, the size of the piston or area over which the force is applied, and the properties of the fluid being used (such as density and viscosity). Friction and other external forces can also affect the pressure in a hydraulic system.