Proving Inequalities: Tips and Examples for Solving with Different Methods

In summary, To prove the given inequalities, you would need to solve for x or use properties such as the triangle inequality or Schwarz's Inequality. For the problems given in the conversation, the same concepts can be applied, such as factoring and inspecting signs. Differentiating the function x + \frac{1}{x} can also lead to a solution for the first inequality, but it is not necessary and may not be allowed depending on the context.
courtrigrad
Hello all

How would you prove the following:

(a) [tex] x + \frac{1}{x} \geq 2, x > 0 [/tex]
(b) [tex] x + \frac{1}{x} \leq -2, x < 0 [/tex]
(c) [tex] |x+\frac{1}{x}| \geq 2, x\neq 0. [/tex]

For all of these inequalities would I simply solve for x, or would I have to use things like the triangle inequality of Schwarz's Inequality?

Ok I was also given some harder problems with the same concepts:Prove the following inequalities:
(i) [tex] x^2 + xy + y^2\geq 0 [/tex]
(ii) [tex] x^{2n} +x^{2n-1}y + x^{2n-2}y^2+ ... + y^{2n} \geq 0 [/tex]
(iii) [tex] x^4 - 3x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x + 1 \geq 0. [/tex]

Ok for (i) we can factor [tex]\frac{x^3-y^3}{x-y} [/tex]. If [tex] x > y, x < y [/tex] this expression is positive. For [tex] x = y [/tex] we have [tex] 3x^2 [/tex] which is positive.

For (ii) we have the same thing except [tex] \frac{x^{2n+1} - y^{2n+1}}{x-y} [/tex].

For (iii) [tex] x^4 - 3x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x + 1 \geq 0
\ [/tex][tex] x^4 - 3x^3 + 4x^2 - 3x + 1 = (x-1)^{2}(x^2-x+1) [/tex]
[tex]x^2 - x + 1 = (x-\frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{3}{4} \geq \frac{3}{4} [/tex]

Would the above problems be similar to these?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your first:
Differentiate x+1/x.
You should be able to show that for x>0, x=1 is a minimum.
Do somewhat analogous for x<0

well actually you are not supposed to use differentiation as this is the first chapter in the calculus book. so would i just solve for x?

thanks

In that case, assume for x>0, [tex]x+\frac{1}{x}<2[/tex]
Show that this leads to a contradiction.

Make a similar argument in the case x<0

Last edited:
I confess I don't see how differentiating would help.

To solve [itex]x+ \frac{1}{x}\ge 2[/itex], as long as you know x> 0, you can multiply the entire inequality by x to get [itex]x^2+ 1\ge 2x[/itex] or [itex] x^2- 2x+ 1\ge 0[/itex] That factors as [itex](x-1)^2\ge 0[/itex] which, since a square is always positive, is true for all x.

ok thanks a lot :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
I confess I don't see how differentiating would help.
Eeh, define the function: [tex]f(x)=x+\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
Hence, [tex]f'(x)=1-\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]
which shows that [tex]x=\pm1[/tex] are critical points.
The 2. derivative test shows that x=1 is a local minimum (with f(1)=2), whereas x=-1 is a local maximum f(-1)=-2.

Furthermore, by inspecting the signs of f' on either side of, say, x=1, we may readily conclude that x=1 is a "global" minimum for x>0 (that is, f(x)>=2, x>0).

Related to Proving Inequalities: Tips and Examples for Solving with Different Methods

1. What are some common methods for proving inequalities?

There are several methods for proving inequalities, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, induction, and use of known inequalities.

2. Can you provide an example of using direct proof to prove an inequality?

Sure, for example, to prove that for any real numbers a and b, if a > b, then a + c > b + c, we can use direct proof by starting with the assumption that a > b and then adding c to both sides to get a + c > b + c. This shows that the inequality holds true.

3. How can proof by contradiction be used to prove an inequality?

In proof by contradiction, we assume the opposite of what we want to prove and then show that it leads to a contradiction. For example, to prove that for any real numbers a and b, if a > b, then a^2 > b^2, we can assume the opposite, that a^2 ≤ b^2, and then square root both sides to get a ≤ b. This contradicts our original assumption that a > b, thus proving the inequality.

4. When is induction a useful method for proving inequalities?

Induction is useful for proving inequalities when the statement can be divided into smaller cases that can be shown to be true, and then used to prove the overall statement. For example, to prove that n^2 > n for all positive integers n, we can show that it holds true for n = 1, and then use induction to show that if it holds true for n = k, then it also holds true for n = k + 1.

5. Can known inequalities be used to prove other inequalities?

Yes, known inequalities such as the Triangle Inequality or the AM-GM Inequality can be used as building blocks to prove other inequalities. For example, the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality can be derived from the Triangle Inequality.