Pulleys and Springs Homework Help

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial acceleration of mass m2 when the lower string is cut. The forces acting on m2 are the tension and its weight, while the forces acting on m1 are the tension and its weight. By equating forces for both masses, we can obtain two equations with three unknowns (T, a1, and a2). To find the third equation, we must consider the relationship between a1 and a2. One way to visualize this is by drawing stop motion sketches and considering which mass moves the furthest and fastest over an initial time. The spring can be treated as an inextensible cord for simplicity in this problem.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At equilibrium conditions, the forces acting on ##m_2## are the tension due to the strings and its weight. ##T=m_2g+T'## where T is the tension in the string above ##m_2## and T' is the tension in the string below it. Equating forces for ##m_1##, ##T/2=m_1g \Rightarrow T=2m_1g##. I am not sure what to do next? How would I go about finding the initial acceleration of B?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• nlm.jpg
    nlm.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

At equilibrium conditions, the forces acting on ##m_2## are the tension due to the strings and its weight. ##T=m_2g+T'## where T is the tension in the string above ##m_2## and T' is the tension in the string below it. Equating forces for ##m_1##, ##T/2=m_1g \Rightarrow T=2m_1g##.
That is correct for the given equilibrium condition.
I am not sure what to do next? How would I go about finding the initial acceleration of B?

Do the free body diagrams again, with the string cut, but this time, after identifying forces, use Newton 2 (the accelerations of the 2 masses may differ).

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

At equilibrium conditions, the forces acting on ##m_2## are the tension due to the strings and its weight. ##T=m_2g+T'## where T is the tension in the string above ##m_2## and T' is the tension in the string below it. Equating forces for ##m_1##, ##T/2=m_1g \Rightarrow T=2m_1g##. I am not sure what to do next? How would I go about finding the initial acceleration of B?

For the FBD of m1 shouldn't it be

##2T=m_1g##

As two strings pass over?

My approach to this question is that due to the spring the Tension in the string(which isn't cut) before and after cutting will remain the same. This is because the elongation of the spring will not change JUST after cutting. Next after making FBD of m2 we can get the answer. But I am not 100% sure.

consciousness said:

##2T=m_1g##

Oh sure, thanks for the catch, my apologies, I glanced over that too quickly.
My approach to this question is that due to the spring the Tension in the string(which isn't cut) before and after cutting will remain the same. This is because the elongation of the spring will not change JUST after cutting. Next after making FBD of m2 we can get the answer. But I am not 100% sure.
It will have shortened an infinitesimal distance just after the cut in an infinitesimal time, but still have an initial acceleration dv/dt.

PhanthomJay said:
Do the free body diagrams again, with the string cut, but this time, after identifying forces, use Newton 2 (the accelerations of the 2 masses may differ).

When the string is cut, the forces acting on ##m_2## are the tension and its weight. For ##m_2##, ##m_2g-T=m_2a_2##. The forces acting on ##m_1## is the tension and its weight. ##m_1g-2T=m_1a_1##. Have I got this right?

consciousness said:

##2T=m_1g##

Thanks for the catch! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
When the string is cut, the forces acting on ##m_2## are the tension and its weight. For ##m_2##, ##m_2g-T=m_2a_2##. The forces acting on ##m_1## is the tension and its weight. ##m_1g-2T=m_1a_1##. Have I got this right?
Yes, provided you have the correct relation and signage between a1 and a2.

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, provided you have the correct relation and signage between a1 and a2.

But I am still not sure what to do next? Can I have some hints? :)

Pranav-Arora said:
But I am still not sure what to do next? Can I have some hints? :)
You have 3 unknowns T, a1, and a2, but so far you have listed just 2 equations. You need another one that describes the relationship between a1 and a2.

a1 and a2 are not the same.

PhanthomJay said:
You have 3 unknowns T, a1, and a2, but so far you have listed just 2 equations. You need another one that describes the relationship between a1 and a2.

a1 and a2 are not the same.

##a_1=2a_2##?

Pranav-Arora said:
##a_1=2a_2##?
Which mass moves the furthest and fastest over an initial time, 1 or 2? Sometimes it is best to draw stop motion sketches and visualize the movement.

PhanthomJay said:
Which mass moves the furthest and fastest over an initial time, 1 or 2? Sometimes it is best to draw stop motion sketches and visualize the movement.

I can't figure this out. I don't know what to do with the spring. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
I can't figure this out. I don't know what to do with the spring. :(
i suppose if you don't know what to do with the spring, try ignoring it and replace it with a cord! The problem asks for the initial acceleration of m2, that is, it's instantaneous acceleration at the instant the lower string is cut. The spring might be very stiff with very little elongation under load, or it might be very stretchy like that wonderful slinky toy, with a lot of elongation under load. But in either case, the spring will compress when the cut is made, but initially, it doesn't matter, what matters is that the mass m2 will rise up, and the mass m1 and the pulley supporting m1 will fall downward. So pretend you have a stiff spring, make it an inextensible cord if you will, and you must then answer the question about the a2 and a1 relationship.

PhanthomJay said:
i suppose if you don't know what to do with the spring, try ignoring it and replace it with a cord! The problem asks for the initial acceleration of m2, that is, it's instantaneous acceleration at the instant the lower string is cut. The spring might be very stiff with very little elongation under load, or it might be very stretchy like that wonderful slinky toy, with a lot of elongation under load. But in either case, the spring will compress when the cut is made, but initially, it doesn't matter, what matters is that the mass m2 will rise up, and the mass m1 and the pulley supporting m1 will fall downward. So pretend you have a stiff spring, make it an inextensible cord if you will, and you must then answer the question about the a2 and a1 relationship.

Here's how I look at it. If ##m_2## moves up a distance x, the pulley to which ## m_1## is attached should move 2x. Right?

Pranav-Arora said:
Here's how I look at it. If ##m_2## moves up a distance x, the pulley to which ## m_1## is attached should move 2x. Right?
If m2 moves up x, then pulley of m1 moves down x/2. Right?

Sorry for such a late reply, I had some problems with my internet connection.

PhanthomJay said:
If m2 moves up x, then pulley of m1 moves down x/2. Right?

Ugh..that's the biggest problem I face in these type of problems. If the acceleration of m_2 is a, then acceleration of m_1 is a/2.
For m_2, ##T-m_2g=m_2a## and for m_1, ##m_1g-2T=m_1a/2##. Solving the two equations, I get
[tex]a=\frac{m_1-2m_2}{2m_2+m_1/2}g[/tex]
which is wrong. :confused:

Last edited:
Even though m1 is greater than m2, because of the stretched spring m2 moves downwards. Taking up positive down negative sign, rewrite your two equations and solve for a2.

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry for such a late reply, I had some problems with my internet connection.

Ugh..that's the biggest problem I face in these type of problems. If the acceleration of m_2 is a, then acceleration of m_1 is a/2.
For m_2, ##T-m_2g=m_2a## and for m_1, ##m_1g-2T=m_1a/2##. Solving the two equations, I get
[tex]a=\frac{m_1-2m_2}{2m_2+m_1/2}g[/tex]
which is wrong. :confused:

Using the approach I gave in the 3rd post I am getting the answer

[tex]a=g\frac{m_1-2m_2}{2m_2}[/tex] (upwards)

Can you please tell me if this is the correct answer? I have also used another method given by my teacher to get the same answer.

I think i understood why the constraint relation approach doesn't work. It might have something to do with the fact that objects at rest can also have accelerations(like a vertically thrown ball at its highest point). For an object at rest its acceleration can only be found by Newtons second law.

consciousness said:

Can you please tell me if this is the correct answer? I have also used another method given by my teacher to get the same answer.

That's the correct answer.

What's the other method have you used? One of my friend also suggested me the same way as you did in your post #3.

Pranav-Arora said:
That's the correct answer.

What's the other method have you used? One of my friend also suggested me the same way as you did in your post #3.

The other method is that when the string is burnt the NET force on m2 will be the force it applied on m2 before it was burnt but in opposite direction (ie upwards). Now we can get the answer in one equation very quickly. This result is very useful and can be easily derived also.

Oh and its adivisible to ignore my post #18 i feel that the logic is flawed now.

Last edited:
consciousness said:
I think i understood why the constraint relation approach doesn't work. It might have something to do with the fact that objects at rest can also have accelerations(like a vertically thrown ball at its highest point). For an object at rest its acceleration can only be found by Newtons second law.
Yes, per your example of the thrown ball, an object can have an acceleration even when temporarily at rest.

consciousness said:

Well, interesting, your solution assumes the same initial tension in the spring and cord before and after the cut,that is ,T = (m_1)(g)/2. When you look at a free body diagram of m_2, and use Newton 2 and set T- m_2(g) = m_2(a_2), its acceleration, a_2, upward, is as you have stated. But when you look at a free body diagram of m_1, then m_1(g) - 2T = m_1(a_1), from which, a_1 = 0! Thus, their initial accelerations are not related by 2a_1 = a_2, which would be the case if there were no spring in the problem and the cords were inextensible.

PhanthomJay said:
Yes, per your example of the thrown ball, an object can have an acceleration even when temporarily at rest.

Well, interesting, your solution assumes the same initial tension in the spring and cord before and after the cut,that is ,T = (m_1)(g)/2. When you look at a free body diagram of m_2, and use Newton 2 and set T- m_2(g) = m_2(a_2), its acceleration, a_2, upward, is as you have stated. But when you look at a free body diagram of m_1, then m_1(g) - 2T = m_1(a_1), from which, a_1 = 0! Thus, their initial accelerations are not related by 2a_1 = a_2, which would be the case if there were no spring in the problem and the cords were inextensible.

The constraint relation makes some false assumptions but I am not sure what. Maybe when the spring stretches by a very small distance then the length is almost constant but for instantaneous acceleration the very small distance plays a huge role as it is defined for small distances.

Yeah, different results when you go from ideal inextensible cords to real world elastic cords and springs.

Related to Pulleys and Springs Homework Help

What are pulleys and springs and how do they work?

Pulleys and springs are simple machines that are used to transfer and store energy. Pulleys are mechanisms with a grooved wheel and a rope or belt that can change the direction of force or lift heavy objects. Springs are elastic objects that can store and release mechanical energy. They work by using the principle of conservation of energy, where energy is transformed from one form to another.

What are the differences between fixed and movable pulleys?

The main difference between fixed and movable pulleys is their function. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and change the direction of force, while movable pulleys are attached to the object being moved and reduce the amount of force needed to lift it. Additionally, fixed pulleys have a mechanical advantage of 1, while movable pulleys have a mechanical advantage of 2.

How do springs store and release energy?

Springs store energy by being deformed or compressed, which creates potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. When the force that is causing the deformation is removed, the spring will return to its original shape, releasing the stored energy as kinetic energy. This process can be repeated multiple times, making springs a useful tool for storing and releasing energy.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys and springs?

Pulleys and springs have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include using pulleys in elevators to lift heavy loads, using springs in mattresses for comfort and support, and using both pulleys and springs in exercise equipment to provide resistance and make movements easier. They are also commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and transportation industries.

How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. For fixed pulleys, the mechanical advantage will always be 1. For movable pulleys, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of supporting ropes. So, for example, a system with 2 supporting ropes will have a mechanical advantage of 2. Additionally, the combined mechanical advantage of multiple pulleys in a system can be calculated by multiplying their individual mechanical advantages.