Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
Do those names mean something in your language? It definitely should be something sophisticated and a bit mystic
Just a cheesy joke : CatMandu , Category, CatAstrophe, etc.

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Just a cheesy joke : CatMandu , Category, CatAstrophe, etc.
You could call him Neutron because he's so positive.

Likes zoobyshoe
fresh_42 said:
Problem is, he decays first!
...but invariably after eighteen half lives.

Likes zoobyshoe
I'm so happy people have stopped saying, "conversate."

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what you need and you leave the rest,
But they should never have taken the very best

Such a great song.

Isn't anybody going to congratulate me on 1000 posts? :rolleyes:

Likes lisab and Sophia
DiracPool said:
Isn't anybody going to congratulate me on 1000 posts? :rolleyes:
Sorry, but it appears listed as 1003 in the post I am quoting.

Someone else weird enough: celebrating his anti-birthday, the day in the year farthest from his birthday ( July 17 ). And I glazed off when he started explaining why he felt the need to celebrate it. Another ride on the subway.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
How about Fish?
I don't know of neither Fishmandu nor Fishastrophe nor Fishegory.

Sophia said:
Time to politely ask some cat if she wishes to live with you.
I have no idea, because "cats" in your sense may mean something opposite in mine. I am a little confused when people mention cats and dogs. Perhaps I need a big dog kitty which I will probably name Mixerio.

Silicon Waffle said:
I have no idea, because "cats" in your sense may mean something opposite in mine. I am a little confused when people mention cats and dogs. Perhaps I need a big dog kitty which I will probably name Mixerio.

Maybe you can name your dog My Cat and your Cat My Dog. Then you can ask have you seen my dog my cat ?

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
Maybe you can name your dog My Cat and your Cat My Dog. Then you can ask have you seen my dog my cat ?
Good suggestion !

Silicon Waffle said:
Good suggestion !
And people can ask you: does my dog bite ?You answer: you mean my cat my dog or my dog my cat? (This is the best I can do after 12+ consecutive hours of work together with a speech on anti-birthdays)

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
Good suggestion !
This reminds me of the quizzes we had in English class on learning the meaning of a word and using it in a sentence. What is, e.g., truancy, use it in a grammatically-correct sentence : " I don't know the meaning of the word 'truancy' " , or: "The English professor asked us to write a sentence using the word 'truancy'" . Maybe this is how Lewis Carroll got started ( probably with much wittier comments, though)

WWGD said:
And people can ask you: does my dog bite ?You answer: you mean my cat my dog or my dog my cat? (This is the best I can do after 12+ consecutive hours of work together with a speech on anti-birthdays)
That again ? I mistook my cat your dog with your cat my dog. You seem to mean so.

Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
Bingo! And not just his name-o .
Oh no, my mind got sucked in. Now that hurts me so bad.

Silicon Waffle said:
Oh no, my mind got sucked in. Now that hurts me so bad.
That is the usual reaction to my (failed) joke attempts, by those who are not quick-enough to avoid me when they see me approaching them.

Likes Silicon Waffle
WWGD said:
That is the usual reaction to my (failed) joke attempts, by those who are not quick-enough to avoid me when they see me approaching them.
I would want to learn in this mental game who imagined most. I think only I did. :DD People are old and so experienced with great critical thinking skills. (I mean I am younger and prettier anyway :biggrin:)

Borg said:
Lame joke. Catmandu, Catastrophe, Category.
However, Catmandu should actually be spelled Kathmandu.
Lol! That's good! When it comes to understanding jokes, not being a native speaker can cause real problems :-)

Silicon Waffle said:
Lol I meant a real furry 4-legged cat .i said it because they are so independent and it is often said that they own you and they let you use their furniture etc.
Anyway, it would be funny if it meant a woman!

Current temperature in Moscow: 5 F

If 5F is - 15C as I just googled that's quite warm for usual Russian winter.

What area in the world has the average temperature of 2-12 deg Celsius in winter, 14-20 in spring, 22-27 in summer, and 10-15 in fall ? I would want to live there.:oldfrown:

Sophia said:
If 5F is - 15C as I just googled that's quite warm for usual Russian winter.
Those lucky Muscovites!

Likes Sophia
Silicon Waffle said:
What area in the world has the average temperature of 2-12 deg Celsius in winter, 14-20 in spring, 22-27 in summer, and 10-15 in fall ? I would want to live there.:oldfrown:
That looks pretty much like average temperature here. :-) but sometimes we have slightly above 30 in summer and - 5 during the day in winter. The were years when we had - 15C in day temperature but those years are gone now that we have global warming :-(

Likes Silicon Waffle
Speaking of winter weather, it looks like a Big Ol Snow Storm is headed for the east coast this weekend. We've haven't gotten any for the last few years so it will be nice to have a BOSS or two pass through this winter. :oldlove:

Likes lisab
Wonder if the missions that work in the South Pole use refrigerators to store their food, or if they just leave their food out somewhere.

Borg said:
Speaking of winter weather, it looks like a Big Ol Snow Storm is headed for the east coast this weekend. We've haven't gotten any for the last few years so it will be nice to have a BOSS or two pass through this winter. :oldlove:
Where on the east coast? No snow for a few years?

Likes Borg
DC area. Boston got slammed last year but we barely got any.

WWGD said:
Wonder if the missions that work in the South Pole use refrigerators to store their food, or if they just leave their food out somewhere.
They could use fridges to protect their food from totally freezing outside

Likes Ibix and lisab
Borg said:
DC area. Boston got slammed last year but we barely got any.
Yeah, DC is pretty far south. I grew up in NH, and a winter without snow was unheard of. Then, though, I found out the winters as close as NYC were very much milder than ours. Keep going south and you end up in Florida.