Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
  • #1,436
zoobyshoe said:
I had to venture out in my car today and do some zoobie stuff. I noticed, as I often do, that there were cobwebs around the lower parts of the car. I can't understand this. I drive it at least once a day, and you'd think that would be enough to discourage spiders. But I suppose spiders don't get cars and think that if a structure is stationary when they encounter it, it will always be stationary.
Do you park in the sun? I bet the high temps would kill them.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
This is a new tactic I have seen often recently, for those who want you to fill a survey:
" We have given you the opportunity of filling in this survey..." Seems too transparent.

• #1,438
lisab said:
Do you park in the sun? I bet the high temps would kill them.
Yeah, it's pretty much always in the sun, but the webs are down at the bottom where the spiders can park themselves underneath.

• #1,439
zoobyshoe said:
I had to venture out in my car today and do some zoobie stuff. I noticed, as I often do, that there were cobwebs around the lower parts of the car. I can't understand this. I drive it at least once a day, and you'd think that would be enough to discourage spiders. But I suppose spiders don't get cars and think that if a structure is stationary when they encounter it, it will always be stationary.
So the spider has six days to work for food and one day off. Sounds familiar.
Spiders, rats, mice, sparrows - all hemerophile. You can't do nothing about it.

• #1,440
fresh_42 said:
So the spider has six days to work for food and one day off. Sounds familiar.
Spiders, rats, mice, sparrows - all hemerophile. You can't do nothing about it.
Was bedeutet "hemerophile?"

Ich kann nicht nichts tun?

• #1,441
zoobyshoe said:
Was bedeutet "hemerophile?"
Kulturfolger. Animal and plants which use our manipulation of environment to their own benefits and who followed us around the earth.
Ich kann nicht nichts tun?
About spiders.

• #1,442
So you want to be a celebrity - no need to be talented.

“Celebrities have very much become brands, they've become bonafide international brands, and as they've grown, their teams have become much larger,” said Jeetendr Sehdev, who studies celebrity branding and marketing at the University of Southern California.

He says the modern team can include voice coaches, image consultants, behavioral consultants, stylists, acting coaches, personal chefs, philanthropy consultants and more. “There's a lot of support that goes into building and managing, especially the larger global celebrity brands.”

“I think it's because celebrities have gotten a lot needier,” said, adding that today’s stars require more hand holding because many of them are famous for being famous, not for being talented. “To remain in the public eye, it does take this huge celebrity industrial complex to keep them interesting and allow them to keep making money.”

And a nice chunk of that money goes right back into funding the celebrity industrial complex. Percentages for managers, agents, lawyers. Monthly checks to make-up artists, masseuses, personal trainers and social media managers.

http://www.marketplace.org/2016/02/26/world/way-keep-oscar-speeches-putting-us-sleep

I was impressed with Broderick Crawford's Oscar for Best Actor in 1950. He starred in "All the King's Men". He was up against:
Kirk Douglas in "The Champion"
Gregory Peck in "Twelve O'Clock High"
Richard Todd in "The Hasty Heart"
John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima"​

Likes Sophia
  • #1,443
Sophia said:
It would be cool to get into the government and than proclaim that you are the King or Queen :partytime:
52116681.jpg

That would be epic. But first I need the One Ring to rule them all. I don't know how many legislators are there, but I'll need rings for all of them. :biggrin: And over a hundred, over a hundred rings were gifted to the legislators, who above all else desire power.

Gladriel said:
And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret, a master ring, to control all others. And into this ring he poured all his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

:oldlaugh:

Last edited:
Likes Sophia
  • #1,444
galadriel said:
And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race. But they were all of them deceived, for another ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret, a master ring, to control all others. And into this ring he poured all his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.
That's a cool little story. You could work it up into a whole book and call it, "The King of the Rings," or "The Dominator of the Rings." Something like that.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,445
zoobyshoe said:
That's a cool little story. You could work it up into a whole book and call it, "The King of the Rings," or "The Dominator of the Rings." Something like that.
o_O Um... I'm not so sure I get what you mean. That's from The Lord of The Rings. You have seen it, right? :oldconfused:

• #1,446
Psinter said:
o_O Um... I'm not so sure I get what you mean. That's from The Lord of The Rings. You have seen it, right? :oldconfused:
No, "Lord of the Rings," is too boring. Maybe, "Commander of the Rings." Maybe, "The Mordor Master of the Rings." Maybe, "The Dark and Obnoxious Wrangler of the Rings." Something. It'll come to me.

• #1,447
zoobyshoe said:
No, "Lord of the Rings," is too boring. Maybe, "Commander of the Rings." Maybe, "The Mordor Master of the Rings." Maybe, "The Dark and Obnoxious Wrangler of the Rings." Something. It'll come to me.
:oldlaugh: King of The Rings sounds alright. It rhymes. :oldbiggrin:

But you must have seen the movie, it's super famous. Wait, not one movie, but the trilogy.

• #1,448
The Infernal Swineherd of the Rings

Likes Evo
  • #1,449
Psinter said:

But you must have seen the movie, it's super famous. Wait, not one movie, but the trilogy.
I only saw the bilogy, not the full trilogy.

• #1,450
zoobyshoe said:
The Infernal Swineherd of the Rings
Nope. Not that one.
WWGD said:
I only saw the bilogy, not the full trilogy.
Why? Don't tell me you saw the first and the last and skipped the second...

• #1,451
Psinter said:
Nope. Not that one.

Why? Don't tell me you saw the first and the last and skipped the second...
Actually, I only saw the ology or monology.

• #1,452
I don't get it.

• #1,453
Psinter said:
I don't get it.
Sorry man, just playing with you :) , never saw any of it, just a game on trilogy bilogy ilogy 0-logy. Did you expect something funny?

• #1,454
WWGD said:
Sorry man, just playing with you :) , never saw any of it, just a game on trilogy bilogy ilogy 0-logy. Did you expect something funny?
:eek: How could you not see them? I command you to see them at this very moment? Is it command or is it commend? :confused:

• #1,455
Psinter said:
:eek: How could you not see them? I command you to see them at this very moment? Is it command or is it commend? :confused:
Commode?
http://www.drivemedical.com/index.php/folding-steel-commode-retail-2.html

• #1,456
WWGD said:
Commode?
Kommode dragon. Or Kimono Dragon:
es_accidentally-image-searched-kimono-dragon-instead-of-komodo-dragon-was-not-disappointed_11985.jpe

Likes Sophia, Ibix and WWGD
  • #1,457
Psinter said:
Kommode dragon. Or Kimono Dragon:
es_accidentally-image-searched-kimono-dragon-instead-of-komodo-dragon-was-not-disappointed_11985.jpe

How about we settle at Kimmodo dragon? Or do you prefer Komono Dragon? Or : Kommon: No dragon?

Likes Ibix
  • #1,458
WWGD said:
How about we settle at Kimmodo dragon? Or do you prefer Komono Dragon?
Kimmodo for the win. :ok:

• #1,459
Kimmodo for a male dragon/female kimono cross and Komono for a male kimono/female dragon cross.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,460
Omg has Coca-Cola decreased the quality of the product recently? I've just had one after like 5 years (I don't usually buy such drinks and when I do, I prefer other brands) and it tastes terribly! Like it was diluted in half. I remember it tasted better in the past. Even the colour is pale on daylight.
Or is this just another brand that thinks it can sell ANYTHING in what they call eastern Europe?
It happens from time to time that brands sell the same product of various quality in different countries. Recently I watched a video where a lady talked about different quality of the exact same creme in the UK and in Spain. I had the same experience with a certain creme which I only bought in the Czech Republic because it was worse here. But the price was the same, of course. Such practices make me angry.

• #1,461
I don't see any difference between the coke here and that in anywhere else in the world. They are both sweet, full of (artificial) sweeteners, and very Cola-cola.

• #1,462
Silicon Waffle said:
I don't see any difference between the coke here and that in anywhere else in the world. They are both sweet, full of (artificial) sweeteners, and very Cola-cola.
The original taste is the same but I bet it is more diluted with water. You can even see it when you look at the bottle outside in daylight. It's paler than other cola-like drinks. It looks like a strong tea. I've just did a quick google search and found a few forum posts where people complained that cola here is not the same as the one sold in the UK.

Silicon Waffle said:

• #1,463
Silicon Waffle said:
I think the ingredients are " natural" in that they do exist in nature (tho, of course, not synthetically), excpet
possibly for Aspartame in Diet versions.
Psinter said:

I am surprised that conspiracy theorists did not latch on to the name " The Two Towers " like a hungry dog to a juicy bone, considering the movie came out relatively shortly after September 11 .

• #1,464
The Administrator of the Annuli

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,465
The chorus of the torus!

(Enables continuing books.)

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,466
fresh_42 said:
The chorus of the torus!

(Enables continuing books.)
up to homeomorphism.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,467
WWGD said:
up to homeomorphism.
As long as you don't write this as a subtitle on the cover ...

I once was going with a friend in a café which was rather crowded. We sat down at a table where economist students already sat. My friend had a textbook with him titled: "Integration and Differentiation" or similar. He laid the book ostentatious on the table. ... 5 minutes later we had the table for us alone.
(true story)

• #1,468
fresh_42 said:
As long as you don't write this as a subtitle on the cover ...
I wanted to use it as a subtitle for my autobiography, but I have no idea how to write a book around it.

• #1,469
WWGD said:
I wanted to use it as a subtitle for my autobiography, but I have no idea how to write a book around it.
I envy you for your continuous life.

Likes Sophia and WWGD
  • #1,470
WWGD said:
Does it have to be a topological title? Ok, if you're a Hindu it could be "My Life the one-point compactification (up to homeomorphism)".
If not you may turn to an algebraic biography: "A Homomorphism in the city". This could bring you additional readers from the gay community.
Or as a geometer: "A Diffeomorphism in my Hometown"
Or as a number theorist: "The Residues of Life"