What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #4,971
It is amazing how these people without any technical background make these ( clearly false) categorical claims, without caveats . I don't doubt I have made false claims myself but not while asking that someone be fired. And I mean, she asked for it in a very explicit way,not that I read between the lines or so.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,972
WWGD said:
It is amazing how these people without any technical background make these ( clearly false) categorical claims, without caveats . I don't doubt I have made false claims myself but not while asking that someone be fired. And I mean, she asked for it in a very explicit way,not that I read between the lines or so.
I have also experienced the case (more than once) when I was actually better informed than the one on the line (issues with the DSL router; bill).

• #4,973
fresh_42 said:
BOFH.

The political party is Partei here, and we simply call die Fete, das Fest, die Party. Maybe you should call a party a fete more often, or a fiesta!
But, do these words also mean in German, party in the other sense of the word, not just the political one?

• #4,974
WWGD said:
But, do these words also mean in German, party in the other sense of the word, not just the political one?
the (political) party = Partei
the fiesta = die Party

Solved by Anglicism.

• #4,975
Experiment with cheese went out ok. Hard to get melted cheese wrong. Experiment putting Splenda on Coke ( not sweet enough for me) did not turn out so well. Guess I should have thought about it a bit. First Splenda effervesced(is this a word?) just a bit, second one overflowed like crazy. Maybe it is the concentration level that caused the difference level?

• #4,976
I can* vaguely remember there being a serious PF discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of compulsory STEM education in school - or something in the vicinity of this topic.
But I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it bookmarked somewhere, or maybe is blessed with superior search-fu powers?

*not to be taken literally - I might just be imagining it.

• #4,977
Bandersnatch said:
I can* vaguely remember there being a serious PF discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of compulsory STEM education in school - or something in the vicinity of this topic.
But I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have it bookmarked somewhere, or maybe is blessed with superior search-fu powers?

*not to be taken literally - I might just be imagining it.
You may want to ask in the feedback forum in the lounge .

• #4,978
Bandersnatch said:
superior search-fu powers?
Try this in Google. It gives lots of hits.
"STEM education" site:physicsforums.com

• #4,979
Still dealing with weird parsing: I'll pack a bag- Alpaca bag.

• #4,980
Whatever happened to Zoobyshoe?(Wow, my phone autocorrected Zoobyshoe.)
I like the new lightning-like button in the new PF. Maybe it could have come with sound effects. Shazzam!

Last edited:
  • #4,981
Still trying to figure out if @Mark44 and 'Mark Forums Read' are the same person. Unusual , I guess native American last name, but, you never know.

• #4,982
WWGD said:
Still trying to figure out if @Mark44 and 'Mark Forums Read' are the same person. Unusual , I guess native American last name, but, you never know.
Sometimes I go by Mark4umsRead, but Mark44 is shorter.

Likes Craftek_Ana, fresh_42 and WWGD
  • #4,983
WWGD said:
By the way. Do you think we can get a proper thermodynamic treatment, or at least the differential equation of "Hot Threads"?

Likes Craftek_Ana
  • #4,984
I thought that was what the "Shazzam" icon was for.

• #4,985
Which one do you mean? You authored 3 hot threads on page one! So if anyone then you can tell the differential equation of the heat transfer going on in this list.

• #4,986
fresh_42 said:
Which one do you mean? You authored 3 hot threads on page one! So if anyone then you can tell the differential equation of the heat transfer going on in this list.
Strangely-enough, I can only see it on my phone, not on the PC.

• #4,988
strangerep said:
The picture is a fake. He saved the bees, not the lady.
image.jpg

• #4,989
Mailbox cleaning day. I feel lighter after deleting 1705 messages. Thanks to searchbox and Ctrl+A it just took some 8 minutes, much more than it took me in earlier days. Incredible, after having done this almost monthly for a few years I still have some 19,000 messages.

• #4,990
A joke my friend and I played with each other led to an interesting result. I We pretended to be each other in internet Mathsites and asked (seemingly) absurd questions. I pretended to be him and asked: What is the square root of ##\mathbb R^3 ##. Someone believed I was asking if ##\mathbb R^3 ## was homeomorphic to a product ##\mathbb X \times \mathbb X ## and gave an elaborate argument in response, something I was not expecting.

• #4,991
It seems thanks to autocorrect, they were about to pass a law approving of Cannibalism ( Cannabis). Should be interesting.

• #4,992
WWGD said:
It seems thanks to autocorrect, they were about to pass a law approving of Cannibalism
I find that hard to swallow.

Likes Ibix and WWGD
  • #4,993
DrGreg said:
I find that hard to swallow.
A good red red wine should help.

• #4,994
WWGD said:
A good red red wine should help.
If you already found bacon too fat ...

• #4,995
fresh_42 said:
If you already found bacon too fat ...
Bacon is never anything other than perfect.

• #4,996
Just after a thunderstorm at my little place:

Likes Wrichik Basu, WWGD, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #4,997
Ok, Bruce Armando is a cool name, but you still have to follow the rules.

• #4,998

Likes Wrichik Basu, skyshrimp, BillTre and 2 others
  • #4,999
Damn. The crackpots today are unusually belligerent. Must be the full moon.

Likes Ibix
  • #5,000
Bandersnatch said:
Damn. The crackpots today are unusually belligerent. Must be the full moon.
It's not full yet. Or are you claiming that the phases of the moon are just mainstream dogma?

• #5,001
Stop the print! Now!
Bandersnatch said:
Must be the full moon.
Ibix said:
It's not full yet.
New headline:
PF always at the front! First occurrence of FTL crackpots reported!
- Science community waiting for confirmation -​

Likes Klystron
  • #5,002
I was having an exchange with a Libertarian who had written several 1000-+-word entries addressing objections to Libertarian positions of different sorts. I asked him: If Libertarianism is such a great idea, why must you write so many essays defending different aspects of it? If it was such a great idea I would think it would sell itself , and it would not be necessary to go to such lengths to defend it.
He replied to that by...referring me to a 5000+-word essay addressing why it is necessary to defend it.

Reminds me of the commercial: Not going anywhere for a while...?

• #5,003
This thread has made it to over five thousand posts (5002). It's almost a palindrome count.

• #5,004
collinsmark said:
This thread has made it to over five thousand posts (5002). It's almost a palindrome count.
Common, Mark, you're tempting me to post two non-sensical (i.e., my usual) posts here to have the
5005th spot.

Likes collinsmark