What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,091
fresh_42 said:
Otherwise the Vatican has a serious problem. Every citizen is 850 times infected!
Yes, that was obvious when I saw it and maybe a sort of boast or ridicule by the hackers.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,092
Recently been getting into the habit of writing (-1)(-1)=2... 😩

• #6,093
Seems we'll have a worldwide staycation. I prefer Steakation, but will not likely happen.

• #6,094
If I have a child and he becomes a priest. Should I call him son or father?

• #6,095
Some of these enviros constantly denouncing humanity as a whole for damaging the planet. Hey: do you have provably-better ways of housing, clothing educating and feeding 8 billion? Well, life nor Earth come with a user's nanual. Let's hear it or stop.

• #6,096
Im betting the next major confrontation will be between texters and callers. I prefer text only except emergencies or things that are too complicated for a text. Others seem to want to call for everything. Just text me and let's get on with our lives us my take.

Likes Keith_McClary and Klystron
  • #6,097
From the mouths of children:
Adult: "Madness is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results".
Child:" How about throwing a die"?

• #6,098
Evo said:
Why? Why can't we have real documentaries? There is so much of interest in the past that is REAL.

Have you tried Curiosity Stream? I had it for a while and didn't really use it very much, but I'm interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what you thought about it?

• #6,099
SamRoss said:
Have you tried Curiosity Stream? I had it for a while and didn't really use it very much, but I'm interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what you thought about it?
I don't have it but it sounds really good. Thanks!

• #6,100
More tattoos-more mentally ill a person is

• #6,101
zoki85 said:
"It's Art! Darn it! ART!", shouts the tattoo aficionado.

Last edited:
  • #6,102
zoki85 said:
I've occasionally wondered if the current tattoo fad is a reaction to an earlier poor fashion choice of branded/advertisement clothing.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,103
Be careful with all this time at home. Don't let the tombstone read: “Here lies Florida Man. He survived the pandemic but he stood on a chair.”

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Bystander and strangerep
  • #6,104
Ah, feels good to be back in PF , not answering questions like: "Avance Calculas: How to proof a Banach Space?"

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,105
Wonder how far you should take a situation where you accidentally take someone else's cart in the supermarket.
" Excuse me, you took my cart"
" Well, not really, technically, those things are not yours until you pay for them."

But these are times to be risk-averse.

• #6,106
WWGD said:
technically, those things are not yours until you pay for them
A guy in the parking lot sold it to me for $1.

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Klystron and fresh_42
  • #6,107
With the roads clear, people are flooring it on the highway, trusting the cops don't want to pull anybody over, I imagine.

• #6,108
hmmm27 said:
With the roads clear, people are flooring it on the highway, trusting the cops don't want to pull anybody over, I imagine.
I live on/near a busy street and I can hear the traffic outside my window. I can attest (given the traffic sounds) that while over 99% of vehicles are adhering to traffic rules, there's that tiny fraction that are pushing it to the limit more than normal.

What really surprises me is that there is still a a lot of traffic out there. I get that health care workers, grocery store employees, bank employees, essential construction workers, people going to get groceries, etc., must still travel, but that doesn't seem to me to justify the amount of traffic that I'm still hearing. 🤔

• #6,109
collinsmark said:
What really surprises me is that there is still a a lot of traffic out there.
Highways near where I live look like "ghost" highways.

Likes collinsmark
  • #6,110
dlgoff said:
Why would a ghost need a highway? (Setting it up nicely for everyone).

Likes Keith_McClary and dlgoff
  • #6,111
WWGD said:

1) Too many for the surface roads.

2) To make creepy movies.

Likes WWGD and dlgoff
  • #6,112
WWGD said:
Well, I'm kinda gullible when it comes to language. :oldgrumpy:

Ghost, as in;
a faint, weak, or greatly reduced appearance, trace, ...
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
:devil:

Likes WWGD
  • #6,113
dlgoff said:
Well, I'm kinda gullible when it comes to language. :oldgrumpy:

Ghost, as in; :devil:
Hey, I do the same, just haven't got caught...yet.

Likes dlgoff
  • #6,114
Wonder why the British use the spelling 'centre' but not ' Septembre'.

• #6,115
WWGD said:
The French left in August.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and hmmm27
  • #6,116
WWGD said:
Centre has been used in the US. My birth town is spelled Rockville Centre. The British spelling seems closer to Latin centrum. The month September is Settembre in modern Italian with similar spellings in other Latin languages. When English spelling was standardized not that long ago, Latin had fallen out of common use outside the Catholic church.

fresh_42 said:
Funny. After Junius Brutus named the month June for his family, Julius Caesar renamed the month of July after his family. His great-nephew and adopted son Octavian took the title Caesar Augustus and grabbed the month August. Living gods, or so they told the plebs.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,117
fresh_42 said:
But Canadians were there with them in Oout ( Aout, or however French, Canadians pronounce it).

Likes Klystron
  • #6,118
I collected these quantity comparisons from various science articles. In most of these the reader would have no idea how large is the thing compared to.
Fifteen-meter high waves that pushed boulders the weight of a Leopard tank inland

At its peak, the lake was draining the equivalent of one Olympic-size swimming pool every three seconds, according to the study’s lead author, Thomas Chudley of the University of Cambridge.

To put it differently, the meltwater was enough to fill one U.S. Capitol rotunda every two minutes and 19 seconds.

Sending NASA's Space Shuttle into orbit required more than 3.5 million pounds of fuel, which is about 15 times heavier than a blue whale.

To put that in perspective, Los Angeles County residents consume 1 billion tons of water per year.

1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers, or the equivalent of around 3,000 Eiffel Towers stacked on top of one another

They said that the leaks alone were worth nearly two thirds of all natural gas use in France every year
I wondered why they do this and where the journalists get them? Then I ran across The Measure Of Things . That accounts for the blue whales anyways.

• Haha
Likes Klystron
  • #6,119
How slow is the internet in quarantine? It's taking forever for the spam to load.

• #6,120
dlgoff said:
Like in a Stephen King movie. The few slowly rolling vehicles are steered by ghosts who will continue down the road until they run out of gas.

• #6,121
lavinia said:
Like in a Stephen King movie. The few slowly rolling vehicles are steered by ghosts who will continue down the road until they run out of gas.
I never run out of gas. Maybe that's why I have trouble keeping roomates ;). Cheesy double-meaning.

• #6,122
lavinia said:
Like in a Stephen King movie.
Wish it was just a movie ...:oldcry:

Likes BillTre
  • #6,123
@Greg Bernhardt You're my hero ... "The Man". I can't imagine the hours you've spent making this forum great.

Thank You Sir

Likes Keith_McClary, Klystron, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
  • #6,124
dlgoff said:
@Greg Bernhardt You're my hero ... "The Man". I can't imagine the hours you've spent making this forum great.

Thank You Sir
I stand on the shoulders of giants (mentors, advisors, members)

• Love
Likes Keith_McClary, dlgoff, Borg and 1 other person
  • #6,125
Journalists said the professor had a bloody saw. But maybe it was British journalists. Je had a bloody saw. How would they say it: He had a bloody bloody saw?

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary