Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
  • #5,802
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Kind of strange to have all these open ports when just turning the computer on, without having connected to the internet yet.

• #5,803
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Baseball+Leagues+in+Europe&atb=v189-1&ia=web

To say something really annoying: Now you have Baseball, you don't have to envy us anymore ;). You too now have an excuse for chewing a known carcinogen and spitting. You're Welcome!
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.

• #5,804
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.
There may be just a few in each country most likely; fewer than 10-20 I would guess. Maybe even some of them are adapted/adaptable from other sports, i.e., mixed use. Sometimes even stadiums used for rock cncerts are converted to Baseball stadiums. EDIT: Otherwise they are not likely economically viable. Would sound strange to hear of the top 3rd base man for the , e.g., Munich wolves ( made up name).

• #5,805
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
More questionable claims: This guy telling me that extended fasting will make/keep the brain sharp. But the brain needs food to function well, I tell him. No response.

Then again, this is the guy who told me he uses house cleaners instead of cologne (I don't think he was joking). I told him these house cleaners were not designed to interact with the human body and may be toxic if used near the skin.

• #5,806
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten. Am I being too inflexible here? Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?

• #5,807
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten.
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:
...so someone agrees with you.
Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?
Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.

• #5,808
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:

...so someone agrees with you.

Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.
Good point about numbers.
But still, the phone company must keep a list of.....unlisted phone numbers( Some people ask that their numbers not be listed on the phonebook and I believe they must pay for that).

• #5,809
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".

• #5,810
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".
Is there a pocket version that only has the even numbers?

I have a copy of Tolman's Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology that I like reading in public because the cover's on upside down. It's quite funny watching people trying to work out if I'm just posing with an intellectual book but am actually so dumb I haven't noticed I'm holding the book upside down, or... what?

• #5,811
I have one with the even primes.

• #5,812
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have one with the even primes.
All of them? In one book? Wow!

Can you get one for New Age woo types with all natural numbers?

• #5,814
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

I have a copy of Tolman's Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology that I like reading in public because the cover's on upside down. It's quite funny watching people trying to work out if I'm just posing with an intellectual book but am actually so dumb I haven't noticed I'm holding the book upside down, or... what?
Are you upside down yourself? Would surely cancel out.
Vaguely-related, I once wore a costume of "Reverse man" , with a mask in the back of my face facing opposite, pants on backwards and special shoes with two foot sections one facing forwards and one backwards. Weird-enough when sitting, but when you walk with it, it seems a person moving in ways that are impossible.

Last edited:
  • #5,815
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
All of them? In one book? Wow!

Can you get one for New Age woo types with all natural numbers?
I have one (sic) showing how all books ever written appear in the expansion of pie (π).

• #5,816
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Now that I said that, I wonder why Apple has not developed a product called pi. Apple pi.

• #5,817
Weird-enough when sitting, but when you walk with it, it seems a person moving in ways that are impossible.

• #5,818
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Ah, someone beat me to it. No shame when it is from the greats.

• #5,819
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
It seems like asking others eating in the restaurant constantly: "Are you sure you're going to finish that?" is all of the sudden "frowned upon".

• #5,820
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Interesting book "Power of When" on how people have different internal time cycles/rythms so that their energy and focus levels change based on different patterns and schedules. The early bird 9-5 lifestyle is not well suited for all, though I am not sure how society, daily life, could be retooled to better fit this difference.

• #5,821
Interesting book "Power of When" on how people have different internal time cycles/rythms so that their energy and focus levels change based on different patterns and schedules. The early bird 9-5 lifestyle is not well suited for all, though I am not sure how society, daily life, could be retooled to better fit this difference.
I remember a professor who told me that his night owl friend tried to change his rhythm his entire life - and failed. I remember a website which had a different clock running for night owls. I think it was minus 3 hours. And last but not least, they found out that kids at school improve their learning if they only started an hour later. I even remember a project, where they introduced an option: kids could choose whether to start early or to repeat the first class later and on another day of the week. First results have been promising.

My excuse? The astronomer's day is the night.

• #5,822
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I remember a professor who told me that his night owl friend tried to change his rhythm his entire life - and failed. I remember a website which had a different clock running for night owls. I think it was minus 3 hours. And last but not least, they found out that kids at school improve their learning if they only started an hour later. I even remember a project, where they introduced an option: kids could choose whether to start early or to repeat the first class later and on another day of the week. First results have been promising.

My excuse? The astronomer's day is the night.
Other than moving school start forward a bit, it seems difficult to change the 9-5 setup in most societies. But it's clear you can get much more done when you're rested and fresh.

• #5,823
Other than moving school start forward a bit, it seems difficult to change the 9-5 setup in most societies. But it's clear you can get much more done when you're rested and fresh.
Depends on the job. I once was in a project at a big airport. What should I say, you could get lunch 24/7 and eating at 2 a.m. in a small mess lost somewhere on the airfield has a completely different - and not boring - atmosphere. People are nicer at night.

• #5,824
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Yes, true. I think its fair to say that forcing or trying to get people to do their best in a 9-5 schedule has failed and needs, to say the least, some serious tweaking, which seems easier now that technology makes work away from the office easier. Edit: Seems like a step backwards from the Industrial age, in that it would be a de-synchronizing of society.

• #5,825
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Depends on the job. I once was in a project at a big airport. What should I say, you could get lunch 24/7 and eating at 2 a.m. in a small mess lost somewhere on the airfield has a completely different - and not boring - atmosphere. People are nicer at night.
Maybe we can even have nocturnal Baseball leagues ;).