What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,581
Ivan Seeking said:
Why?
Everything I've ever tried using the browser failed. What do you think is good about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,582
dlgoff said:
Everything I've ever tried using the browser failed. What do you think is good about it?

I'm not using it until people like you get it hashed out. :D

• #6,584
The Edge Chromium update was loads of fun - all of my bookmarks were wiped out as part of the update! ?:)
I uninstalled it after that and it re-installed itself. :frown:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes dlgoff and Keith_McClary
  • #6,585
If they advertise a fabric softener as vegan, w** was in there before?

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,586
fresh_42 said:
If they advertise a fabric softener as vegan, w** was in there before?

Skirt steak?

Recall that meat dresses were in ten years ago

1608252659478.png

• #6,587
Borg said:
The Edge Chromium update was loads of fun - all of my bookmarks were wiped out as part of the update! ?:)
I unistalled it after that and it re-installed itself. :frown:

I've been working with Hexavalent Chromium. It's even worse because you can never uninstall it.

• #6,588
Ivan Seeking said:
I've been working with Hexavalent Chromium. It's even worse because you can never uninstall it.
Somehow the last word in that sentence went missing; it should be "either." o_O

Cheers,
Tom

• Love
Likes dlgoff
  • #6,589
I'm wondering what browser @Greg Bernhardt recommends now. Back in 2003,
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/greg-bernhardt.1/ said:
I primarily use Firebird and occasionally use IE for specific things.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and Greg Bernhardt
  • #6,590
dlgoff said:
I'm still missing Netscape.

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
  • #6,591
fresh_42 said:
I'm still missing Netscape.
Dang. I had forgotten about that one.

• #6,592
dlgoff said:

I'm in SEO so I use all of them. Generally I use Chrome the most because of it's fast development, but understand it's the poorest in privacy. Firefox and Brave are great for privacy. I still use Opera a bit and the recent versions of MS Edge are pretty good.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and dlgoff
  • #6,593
Greg Bernhardt said:
... but understand it's the poorest in privacy.
Whatever we may say about Google, and it's presumably even understated, but their products work. It worked best and first as a search engine, and it works now as a browser. I used Firefox before, but it blasted my memory, since all tasks were within one job, whereas Chrome starts several jobs which avoids any bottleneck effects. What MS tried from the beginning, namely to get things going independently from the user, Google did it. And other than MS I am not left outside the doors when it comes to administration possibilities. MS might be nice for grandmas, but it is pure horror for (non MS) developers.

• #6,594
People often say that they look just like a parent or grandparent. Sometimes people will go back even farther and see some family member who was nearly identical to someone alive today. And in turn, many of them were likely nearly identical to their grandparent or other ancestor.

This suggests that, for example, there might have been someone walking around 500 years ago who looked just like you!

• #6,595
Ivan Seeking said:
years ago that looked just like you!
-thunberg-19th-century-lookalike-split-exlarge-169.jpg

Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking
  • #6,596
It makes me wonder which faces are the oldest. What faces have been around the longest.

• #6,597
"if you believe only in logical things then you are going to miss many things which are beyond your logic"
And ironically i find this statement very logical.

Likes BillTre
  • #6,598
I set my alarm for midnight to take my chicken thighs out of the smoker. The alarm went off and I laid down for 5 minutes more. I ended up falling asleep again until 7am. I just checked the meat and it came out perfect. The charcoal had burnt out, but the oak blocks still had some small glowing embers, so I just got some extra smoke without heat.

That was lucky.

• #6,599
tenor.gif

Likes nuuskur, Tom.G, BillTre and 2 others
  • #6,600
Ditto. Happy new year, everyone. May 21 be considerably less awful than 20.

• #6,601
Not only that chess games in movies are commonly ridiculous because one-move mates are never seen before they happen, and nobody seriously would have ever played that far, they are also extremely rude: one does not announce "check mate". It is arrogant and patronizing.

I wonder if a chess game scene has ever had a consultancy before.

• #6,602
fresh_42 said:
Not only that chess games in movies are commonly ridiculous because one-move mates are never seen before they happen, and nobody seriously would have ever played that far, they are also extremely rude: one does not announce "check mate". It is arrogant and patronizing.

Did you watch Queen's Gambit? AFAIK Kasparov was a consultant for that...

• #6,603
etotheipi said:
Did you watch Queen's Gambit? AFAIK Kasparov was a consultant for that...
My nephew recommended it to me but I haven't watched it yet. I guess this is an exception as the subject itself is chess.

• #6,604
fresh_42 said:

Likes Jarvis323
  • #6,605
Today is a good day.

• Love
Likes Borg
  • #6,606
Also, happy palindrome day!

Today (1-20-21) is the first in a string of palindrome days, depending on how you format the date.

Last edited:
Likes Frigus
  • #6,607
I have to go on a liquid diet from Sunday for 5 days due of a hospital procedure next week so decided to treat myself.

I tried 5 Guys for the first time yesterday. A burger, fries and a shake came to £21.

4/10 not amazing

I bought a dry aged marbled rib of beef today for £34. That was £50 a kilo.

On the way home I popped into a new Turkish supermarket that had the same beef for £16 a kilo. Their cheese boreks were heaven sent and one of the best things I've ever tasted.

They were £1 each.

Last edited:
  • #6,608
skyshrimp said:
I have to go on a liquid diet from Sunday for 5 days due of a hospital procedure next week so decided to treat myself.

I tried 5 Guys for the first time yesterday. A burger, fries and a shake came to £21.

4/10 not amazing

I bought a dry aged marbled rib of beef today for £34. That was £50 a kilo.

On the way home I popped into a new Turkish supermarket that had the same beef for £16 a kilo. Their cheese boreks were heaven sent and one of the best things I've ever tasted.

They were £1 each.
Jeez! The cost of that burger, fries, and shake, is equivalent to about 70 days of hard labor for a West African chocolate farmer.

• #6,609
I wonder if we will find planets more favourable than Earth for life with advanced evolution beyond what the human brain is capable of fathoming. If we found one of the said planets, we wouldn't be able to acknowledge their existence. We would be like ants walking over a shoe, not knowing it is a shoe or what brand. We simply wouldn't have the mental capacity. We would see 'something' but not it.

I'm sure I remember Richard Dawkins stating that we might be the only life in the universe, but that's ridiculous.

Sorry. Sleep deprived and going to sleep.

Have a nice weekend all.

Likes Jarvis323
  • #6,610
I have some gripes with humans.

(1) I went to my local grocery store, looking for ginger beer. There was this brand that I hadn't heard of before, River City. It was kind of expensive. On the label, it said "Made from the finest ingredients", and "made in small batches". Normally, I would pick it up and look at the ingredients, but I try to not handle groceries unnecessarily these days. Plus, I know what to expect. It's expensive craft ginger beer, made from the finest ingredients right?

Actually, no. It is fake ginger beer. It has no ginger in it, and it is not fermented. It is just sugar, carbonated water, sodium benzoate, and mystery flavor. Ok, so maybe it has the finest sodium benzoate? Was it really made in small batches? Really, what are you allowed to say on your labels these days? Should I go out and bottle tap water with corn syrup mixed in it, and label it craft ginger beer from the finest ingredients? I can put, "best ginger beer in the world", "voted number 1", "made one bottle at a time, to perfection". Is that OK? Why does this company still exist? Do people buy their fake product and come back for more? Will my scheme to sell sugar water work too?

Stop buying this stuff already people!

1611896361434.png

(2) Orange and teal tinted movies. The theory is that skin tones are orange-ish, and explosions are oranage-ish, and other stuff is blue, and orange and teal are contrasting colors, and what not, so boosting the orange and teal will make stuff "pop", or whatever. It became popular, it seems, at first in Michael Bay movies, like Transformers.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

1611897188199.png

It seems like it's always the worst written/directed movies, relying on CGI and flashy and explodey stuff, that have the most extreme orange/teal color grading.

So it was actually the new Godzilla vs King Kong trailer that triggered me. The color grading is so bad, I can barely stand to watch the trailer. At this point, it seems like the creativity in these films goes little further than, "lets have lots of shots with blue and orange in it", "lots of explosions and water and stuff", "we can make the movie poster half orange and half blue, with Godzilla right in the middle", "Orange and teal stuff in every shot in the trailer." This is the work of geniuses!

Am I missing something? Is there some dark psychology they are using on us or something? Do we see orange and teal, and it makes us want to see the movie?

Will movies eventually just be a few hours of hypnotic orange and teal swirls?

1611898008942.png

(3) Can we all stop asking each other how we are doing every time we communicate with one another, or make a transaction? Does anyone ever say "bad"? Does the person at a cash register want to be asked back how they are doing 500 times in one day? And, nicely say, "good", even when they're having a terrible day? Can't we just say "hi"?

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,611
Also, can we come up with a better name than COVID-19/coronavirus disease 2019? Is this the first disease named after the year it was discovered? Was the name intended to convey confidence that it would be over by 2020? It's already 2021. How can we be expected to grapple with emerging viruses and pandemics, when we can't even come up with good names?

If someone comes up with a new theory of gravity in 2030, will we name it GT30/gravity theory 2030?

• #6,613
Keith_McClary said:
I guess it is difficult, because they want to avoid using a name associated with any individual, group, or place. And I remember, at the time, they were saying they also wanted it to sound non-threatening. So they needed a cute name that is associated in some way, either with what it is, or does to you (which we really barely knew at the time), but not associated with anything else. I still think they could do better.

Elon Musk is better at coming up with names than this (X Æ A-12).

It's just annoying, because we all must have read/heard the term COVID-19 about 10 billion times already. For months, almost every headline in every news category had it in the title.

Can we at least keep updating the year? COVID-2021? Without the year tacked on, it's just Coronavirus disease. It can't get much more generic than that. Well, they could just call it D-19/disease 2019. A random set of letters and numbers tacked on would be better in my opinion.

Last edited:
  • #6,614
Jarvis323 said:
I guess it is difficult, because they want to avoid using a name associated with any individual, group, or place...
... and ruined a beer brand instead?

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and BillTre
  • #6,615
Have any of you played the VR game Half-Life Alyx yet? The immersion is amazing!

It runs flawlessly on my low spec PC. I just have an i7-4820K CPU, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and an Nvidia 1060 3GB graphics card with the Oculus Rift CV1.

I'll be getting a new PC soon that can handle the new HP Reverb G2 VR headset which has 4K resolution, but if you have a low spec PC that matches mine, I highly recommend buying an Oculus Rift to experience HL Alyx.