Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
drizzle said:
My poor finger is swelling, not sure what to do with this hangnail, it's buried underneath the skin. :cry:
Get thee to a doctor. Please don't be one of those people that decides to treat it by cutting it out with a knife and ending up with a serious infected wound (I won't mention the PF member's name).

Physics news on Phys.org
What would a chair look like if your knees bent the other way ?

drizzle said:
My poor finger is swelling, not sure what to do with this hangnail, it's buried underneath the skin. :cry:
As Evo mentioned, see your doctor, or go to a clinic.

Complexity is the new opacity - Michael Lewis.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/835/84gx.jpg

I talked to a pharmacist this morning about it and he suggested to put it in warm water with Epsom salt to relief the pain, and then poke it with a knife or something.. and before I respond he took out a pocket knife and opened it and said 'I can do it for you right now if you want'. I hugged my finger and explode laughing. I'll have to wait till Monday to see my physician. :(

I might consider my mom's suggestion, to heat a needle until it's glowing red wait a few seconds then pin it just where it's most fragile... I iz afraid though :(

Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle said:

I talked to a pharmacist this morning about it and he suggested to put it in warm water with Epsom salt to relief the pain, and then poke it with a knife or something.. and before I respond he took out a pocket knife and opened it and said 'I can do it for you right now if you want'. I hugged my finger and explode laughing. I'll have to wait till Monday to see my physician. :(

I might consider my mom's suggestion, to heat a needle until it's glowing red wait a few seconds then pin it just where it's most fragile... I iz afraid though :(
No, wait until you see the Dr. You don't want to lose your finger.

Astronuc said:
Complexity is the new opacity - Michael Lewis.

True in more ways than it was probably meant.

drizzle said:

Remove that ring from your finger. Now.

pop the bubble, antiseptic and tie it down.

Borek said:
Remove that ring from your finger. Now.
Looks like she may need one of these to remove it (the ring not the finger).

http://www.anglers-choice.com/files/master/product_images/thumbnails/t_63.jpg

doesn't look like a ring, more like a small chain stuck at the back of her finger :/

drizzle said:

I talked to a pharmacist this morning about it and he suggested to put it in warm water with Epsom salt to relief the pain, and then poke it with a knife or something.. and before I respond he took out a pocket knife and opened it and said 'I can do it for you right now if you want'. I hugged my finger and explode laughing. I'll have to wait till Monday to see my physician. :(I might consider my mom's suggestion, to heat a needle until it's glowing red wait a few seconds then pin it just where it's most fragile... I iz afraid though :(
Soaking it in Epson salts and warm water would help soften the skin, and then it would be easy to lance it and remove fluid. Also, wash the surface in rubbing alcohol, and then perhaps use a topical antibiotic.

There should be a clinic that one can visit outside of doctors normal working hours, otherwise, see a physician tomorrow.

One should avoid a 'staph' infection which can be quite serious.

That ring does look a bit constrictive.

I need a picture of your finger to comment here...

Why iz you afraid of needles?

I'm not removing the ring [-_-] it's not tight if that's what you're thinking.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/834/e3pfz.jpg

I'm not feeling pain today, it's only hot and purplish :(

lendav_rott said:
Why iz you afraid of needles?

'Coz they are scary?

fear-of-needles-trypanophobia.jpg

drizzle said:

I'm not feeling pain today, it's only hot and purplish :(

Put a band-aid on it maybe?

Is that a good idea?

Hot water, anti-biotic cream and band-aids, that's what I did when I had them as a kid.
(I hate needles)

drizzle said:

You are missing the point. If the finger swells more you risk not being able to remove the ring without cutters. Plus it will block the blood circulation making things even worse.

Your finger, your ring, your choice.

*moves the ring to the other hand*

Good girl.

Hello ms drizzle -
that fingertip looks nasty I wish you'd do something to combat the infection.

warm water soak will help circulation bringing fresh white corpuscles to bear on it...

then give Mother Nature a helping hand -
I'm a great believer in that red "Betadyne" antiseptic stuff they use in hospitals, and drugstores have a generic version that's cheaper.
It worked so well on my scalp(just a few drops mixed with shampoo) that I tried it on the dog's ears. Vet was so impressed with results he now recommends it to his clients.

Thanks jim, I'll do it once I get home.

Evo said:
No, wait until you see the Dr. You don't want to lose your finger.
But young people have nice regenerative powers. Something old don't have. I think it's okay if drizzle is young (and doesn't have diabetes of course).

Can I humbly ask, what is so special about a Dr.? What does a doctor has that drizzle may not? If it is knowledge anyone can get it nowadays.

(Now that I think about it, I may be asking this because I don't like doctors myself from my place. Instead of helping me they always make it worse.)

Psinter said:
But young people have nice regenerative powers. Something old don't have. I think it's okay if drizzle is young (and doesn't have diabetes of course).

Can I humbly ask, what is so special about a Dr.? What does a doctor has that drizzle may not? If it is knowledge anyone can get it nowadays.

(Now that I think about it, I may be asking this because I don't like doctors myself from my place. Instead of helping me they always make it worse.)

Well, the whole "how to not spread infection" thingy is pretty important :smile:. Especially since it might be MRSA. You don't want to mess around with that.

But, I think many people have had this kind of infection. I had them when I was a kid. My parents would only do something about it if we got those red streaks up our arms...and even then, we only had a 50% chance of seeing a doctor :rolleyes:. I don't recommend that level of laissez-faire parenting, though.

My own experience as a mom: I would watch the behavior of my daughter. If she was in a lot of pain, fussy, or had a fever -- off to the doctor post-haste! Otherwise, I'd let it resolve itself.

Drizzle, I'm glad you're getting it checked out by your doctor. It's prudent.

Because a young member here recently lanced their own finger and it turned into a staph infection. If you have insurance, just get it done properly by a doctor. Let them decide what it is and what to do and if you need antibiotics.

Because we don't know. We can't advise you except on the side of caution, which is, see a doctor.

And I am back. Retrospectacles make every thing seem ridiculous. Its good be back.
:smile:

Edit: And back in more than one way.
Edit2: Hmmm...changing my avatar gives a whole new meaning to the OP...oh well, Enigman's onions
:biggrin:

Last edited:
ever since yesterday evening my computer's chassis emits a vacuum-cleaner like noise...VROOOOOOOOOM... Some fan dying or what up?:/

Enigman said:
And I am back. Retrospectacles make every thing seem ridiculous. Its good be back.
:smile:

Edit: And back in more than one way.
Edit2: Hmmm...changing my avatar gives a whole new meaning to the OP...oh well, Enigman's onions
:biggrin:
:cry: The death mask is back.

I just drank a double espresso and it "didn't do anything." And I've got stuff to do!

Retrospectacles... hmmm..

but hindsight is always 20/20 ?

Hindsight.jpg

Schumann, Schubert ... what's the difference?

Sent off artwork to print 5000 brochures for my orchestra's next season, due back any day now, with the wrong one! :eek:

Jonathan Scott said:
Schumann, Schubert ... what's the difference?

Sent off artwork to print 5000 brochures for my orchestra's next season, due back any day now, with the wrong one! :eek:
Oooops!