Regarding first order circuit basic question

In summary, the circuit is at steady state before the switch closes, with the inductor behaving as a short circuit and carrying a constant current. When the switch is closed, the circuit enters a transient period before reaching a new steady state, with the inductor current eventually becoming 0A due to energy dissipation through the 20Ω resistor. This explains the answer for the inductor current at t=∞ being 0A in the given circuit diagram.
berry1991
With the statement of:
"The circuit is at steady state before the switch closes"

Does this means when t<0, the inductor is at steady state and it is short circuit. Am I correct?

Then when t>0, the switch is closed and the inductor is also in a steady state?

When t=∞, the inductor is definitely in a steady state. Thus the inductor can be represented with a short-circuit.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
berry1991 said:
With the statement of:
"The circuit is at steady state before the switch closes"

Does this means when t<0, the inductor is at steady state and it is short circuit. Am I correct?
The circuit is at steady state, which means that nothing is changing (all currents and potentials are constant). The inductor is behaving as a short circuit and is carrying a constant current.
Then when t>0, the switch is closed and the inductor is also in a steady state?
At the instant the switch closes the circuit is not longer in steady state; it will move towards a NEW steady state from that instant onwards, eventually reaching it after some long time period (t --> ∞). This is called the transient period.
When t=∞, the inductor is definitely in a steady state. Thus the inductor can be represented with a short-circuit.
Yes.

gneill said:
At the instant the switch closes the circuit is not longer in steady state; it will move towards a NEW steady state from that instant onwards, eventually reaching it after some long time period (t --> ∞). This is called the transient period.

So the current before and after the switch is closed:

I(0-) = I(0+)=I(0), but not equal to I(∞)

Is this correct?

Another question:

The following attachment is the circuit diagram:

The answer given for the inductor current[I(∞)] = 0A

From what that I understand, as time=∞,the switch will be closed. So all the current will be flowing through the closed-switch and there will not be any current flow into the 20Ω and the short-circuited capacitor. This explain why I(∞) for inductor is 0A.

Am I correct?

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
berry1991 said:
So the current before and after the switch is closed:

I(0-) = I(0+)=I(0), but not equal to I(∞)

Is this correct?
It is correct assuming that I(t) refers to the inductor current.
Another question:

The following attachment is the circuit diagram:

The answer given for the inductor current[I(∞)] = 0A

From what that I understand, as time=∞,the switch will be closed. So all the current will be flowing through the closed-switch and there will not be any current flow into the 20Ω and the short-circuited capacitor. This explain why I(∞) for inductor is 0A.

Am I correct?

Closing the switch cuts off the inductor and 20Ω resistor from the energy source (the voltage source). The inductor is left in a circuit consisting of itself and the 20Ω resistor.

The 20Ω resistor will dissipate the energy that was stored in the inductor as the current flows through it.

gneill said:
Closing the switch cuts off the inductor and 20Ω resistor from the energy source (the voltage source). The inductor is left in a circuit consisting of itself and the 20Ω resistor.

The 20Ω resistor will dissipate the energy that was stored in the inductor as the current flows through it.

So in other words, after an amount of time(that is t=infinite) the current in the inductor will be zero due to the resistor dissipate the energy being stored in the inductor till 0?

berry1991 said:
So in other words, after an amount of time(that is t=infinite) the current in the inductor will be zero due to the resistor dissipate the energy being stored in the inductor till 0?

That's it, yes.

gneill said:
That's it, yes.

Now everything is clear to me now. thanks for your cooperation.

1. What is a first order circuit?

A first order circuit is a type of electronic circuit that contains only one energy storage element, typically a capacitor or an inductor. It is used to model and analyze systems that can be described by first-order differential equations.

2. What are the basic components of a first order circuit?

The basic components of a first order circuit include a voltage source, a resistor, and a single energy storage element (capacitor or inductor). The circuit may also include switches, diodes, and other electronic components depending on its specific function.

3. What is the time constant of a first order circuit?

The time constant of a first order circuit is a measure of how quickly the energy storage element (capacitor or inductor) charges or discharges. It is denoted by the symbol τ and is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance (for a capacitor) or inductance (for an inductor).

4. How do you analyze a first order circuit?

To analyze a first order circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also use differential equations to model the behavior of the circuit and solve for the voltage and current over time.

5. What are some common applications of first order circuits?

First order circuits are commonly used in electronic filters, signal processing, and control systems. They are also used in power supplies, amplifiers, and other electronic devices. Additionally, first order circuits are important in understanding the behavior of more complex circuits and systems.