Relay Driving Circuit Design Help

In summary: Many (all?) simulation programs have that characteristic. When you delete and then add the same connection or component, the order (sequence) of the internal circuit representation changes. This changes the order that the describing equations are evaluated. Since the program uses a finite resolution for the numbers, sometimes there are truncation errors.Pivot errors or singularities in the matrix manipulations are to blame.
xtrubambinoxpr
Hello all! I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am looking for some help on the following circuit. Basically I am doing a relay application using one of TI's chips. Below is the reference design from an app note along with my actual circuit modeled in TINA. The main function is that using the comparators it will toggle the relay when an overload is detected. This is my first real circuit design application so any assistance with it I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for tips and a walk through so I can arrive to the solution rather than being given one. Any other questions please ask!

Problems:
  1. There is a supply of 110 VAC being provided through J1. The transient response shows that the voltage at VF4/VF5 does not exceed 2V. Why? my thoughts are that it is not being rectified correctly and/or there is a mistake in my design with the cap/resistor at the output.
  2. How can I verify a rectified Voltage at the output?
  3. Can the input into the comparator be AC? It seems like its just going to keep toggling and my thoughts are that everything should be rectified and supplied to the system as DC.
If I come up with more I will post on here. I apologize if any of these questions seem remedial.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-30_9-38-34.png
    upload_2016-6-30_9-38-34.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 476
  • upload_2016-6-30_9-40-10.png
    upload_2016-6-30_9-40-10.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 455
  • upload_2016-6-30_9-46-18.png
    upload_2016-6-30_9-46-18.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 436
Engineering news on Phys.org
R4 is wired incorrectly. It should connect between VF4 and U2 Vin.
I haven't checked the rest of the simulation, their could be other errors.
Toggling output of the comparator is valid in this particular case because the same signal is fed to the EN input of U2. Thus U2 only looks at a half cycle of the current sense signal.

xtrubambinoxpr said:
There is a supply of 110 VAC being provided through J1.
I assume the Earth symbols on the diagram are a local floating common and not connected to the power grid earth. The diode bridge would not survive an earthing.
I gave up using Tina and went to using the better supported LTspice.

Baluncore said:
I assume the Earth symbols on the diagram are a local floating common and not connected to the power grid earth. The diode bridge would not survive an earthing.
I gave up using Tina and went to using the better supported LTspice.
What is it that you mean? The floating ground?

Yes I agree TINA has been giving me issues. Sometimes the outputs are different and all I do is delete a connection and redo the same connection and it changes everything. I found that out this morning.

xtrubambinoxpr said:
What is it that you mean? The floating ground?
In the rectifier bridge, there is a diode connected between each of the power lines and Earth.

Edit: I am referring to the original diagram upload_2016-6-30_9-38-34.png

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
R4 is wired incorrectly. It should connect between VF4 and U2 Vin.
I haven't checked the rest of the simulation, their could be other errors.
Toggling output of the comparator is valid in this particular case because the same signal is fed to the EN input of U2. Thus U2 only looks at a half cycle of the current sense signal.

I am going to change a few things and repost with an update.

Ref Post #4
xtrubambinoxpr said:
Sometimes the outputs are different and all I do is delete a connection and redo the same connection and it changes everything.
Many (all?) simulation programs have that characteristic. When you delete and then add the same connection or component, the order (sequence) of the internal circuit representation changes. This changes the order that the describing equations are evaluated. Since the program uses a finite resolution for the numbers, sometimes there are truncation errors.

That's the simple explanation. I've been told it is due to pivot errors or singularities in the matrix manipulations. I'll let the math gurus here try to explain that one!

1. What is a relay driving circuit and why is it used?

A relay driving circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is used to control the operation of a relay. Relays are electromechanical switches that allow a low-power signal to control a high-power circuit. Relay driving circuits are used to protect sensitive electronic components from high voltage and current, and to provide a galvanic isolation between the control circuit and the high-power circuit.

2. How does a relay driving circuit work?

A relay driving circuit typically consists of a control signal input, a transistor or optocoupler to amplify the control signal, and a relay to switch the high-power circuit. When the control signal is applied, the transistor or optocoupler turns on, allowing current to flow through the relay coil and close the relay contacts. This completes the circuit and allows the high-power circuit to be activated.

3. What are the key components of a relay driving circuit?

The key components of a relay driving circuit include a control signal input, a transistor or optocoupler, a relay, and protective components such as diodes and resistors. The type of components used will depend on the specific requirements of the circuit, such as the voltage and current levels, and the required speed and reliability of the switching operation.

4. How do I choose the right components for my relay driving circuit?

To choose the right components for a relay driving circuit, you will need to consider the voltage and current requirements of the circuit, the speed and reliability of the switching operation, and the cost and availability of the components. It is important to carefully select components that are compatible with each other and can handle the expected load to ensure the circuit operates correctly and safely.

5. Are there any common issues or troubleshooting tips for relay driving circuits?

Some common issues that may arise with relay driving circuits include incorrect component selection, improper wiring or connections, and issues with the control signal. To troubleshoot these issues, it is important to double-check the circuit design and connections, and to test the control signal to ensure it is functioning properly. It may also be helpful to consult a schematic or seek assistance from an experienced engineer.