Rotating rod with weight

In summary: So you need only consider the potential energy of the weight at the end of the rod. In summary, a uniform rod is pivoted at its center with a small weight attached at one end. It has a length of 6.8 m, mass of 10.6 kg, and is released from rest at a 37° angle with no external forces applied. To find the angular acceleration, the total rotational inertia of the rod and weight system must be calculated. The rod's mass is treated as if it is concentrated at its center, while the mass at the end of the rod has its own weight acting at the end. The net torque is found by multiplying the moment of inertia by the angular acceleration, and the moment of
huskydc
A uniform rod is pivoted at its center and a small weight of mass M = 5.29 kg is rigidly attached to one end. You may neglect the size of the weight and assume it is located right at the end of the rod.

Suppose that the rod has length L = 6.8 m and mass mrod = 10.6 kg. Suppose also that there are no external forces applied (i.e. Fh = Fv = 0). The system is released from rest at the q = 37° angle. What is the angular acceleration just after it is released?

i did the following;

net torque = I * alpha

find I of the rod+weight system. and net toque, and solve for alpha

but i have a question regarding the force of the rod itself...
i've been told to treat the rod as if all its mass were concentrated at its center of mass. but is that with or without the weight attached to it?

i mean, w/o the weight, the center of mass of the rod is at the axis point., thus no torque on that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
huskydc said:
Suppose that the rod has length L = 6.8 m and mass mrod = 10.6 kg. Suppose also that there are no external forces applied (i.e. Fh = Fv = 0). The system is released from rest at the q = 37° angle. What is the angular acceleration just after it is released?
I assume you mean no forces except that provided by the pivot.

i did the following;

net torque = I * alpha

find I of the rod+weight system. and net toque, and solve for alpha
OK. Be sure you calculate the total rotational inertia of the "mass + rod".

but i have a question regarding the force of the rod itself...
i've been told to treat the rod as if all its mass were concentrated at its center of mass. but is that with or without the weight attached to it?
For the purpose of caculating the torque produced by the weight of the rod, assume that gravity acts at the center of the uniform rod. But that's for the rod only, not for the extra mass at the end. The weight of that added mass acts right at the end.

i mean, w/o the weight, the center of mass of the rod is at the axis point., thus no torque on that point.
Exactly.

Would it be any consolation if I told you that I have no idea as well why you were asked to do that?

mezarashi said:
Would it be any consolation if I told you that I have no idea as well why you were asked to do that?
They were gently reminding you that the center of mass/gravity of a uniform rod is at its center. :smile: (Although one should know this.)

so would the net torque be just of the torque exerted by mass?

That is correct.

i'm getting myself more confused than ever, the net torque is just of the torque exerted by mass itself. the moment of inertia for rod is (1/12) M L^2. the rod's concentrated mass is still at the axis. so:

total moment of inertia: (1/12) (5.29)(6.8^2) -- mass

do i add (1/12) (10.6)(6.8^2)? if the rod's mass is at the center, does it have moment of inertia...? i guess that's my question

Both the rod and the mass contribute to the moment of inertia of the "rod + mass" system. Add their contributions together to get the total moment of inertia.

The rod's mass is not just at the center! (But the force of gravity acts at the center.) As an extended body, the rod has a moment of inertia given by your formula.

The moment of inertia of a point mass M a distance R from the axis is simply [itex]M R^2[/itex].

ok, here's my take on total of moment of inertia:

1/12) (5.29)(6.8^2) + (10.6)(3.4^2) ?

and torque of mass:

3.4 * (5.29 * 9.81) sin37 ??

i'm sorry, I'm a microbiology major, I'm really really bad at physics... i really thought i had the right answer, i mean I've figured out the other parts to this problem, just not this one...

huskydc said:
ok, here's my take on total of moment of inertia:

1/12) (5.29)(6.8^2) + (10.6)(3.4^2) ?
I think you have the masses interchanged.

and torque of mass:

3.4 * (5.29 * 9.81) sin37 ??
Looks OK if the angle is measured from vertical.

so...

I alpha = Torque

(1/12) (10.6)(6.8^2) + (5.29)(3.4^2) alpha = 3.4 * (5.29 * 9.81) sin37

solve for alpha?

(well i already did, b/c I'm getting a little desperate..and its wrong) :frown:

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    712 bytes · Views: 494
The angle is measured from the horizontal (see my last post), so use cosine instead of sine.

I have a question that piggy backs that problem...what would the angular velocity be whent he rod is vertical?

I know that mgh=1/2Iw^2..but how do I get the potential energy of the rod?

Since the rod's center doesn't move, its potential energy doesn't change.

1. What is a rotating rod with weight?

A rotating rod with weight is a simple scientific apparatus used to demonstrate the principles of rotational motion. It consists of a rod with a weight attached to one end, which can be spun around a central axis.

2. What is the purpose of a rotating rod with weight?

The purpose of a rotating rod with weight is to investigate the relationship between rotational motion and the factors that affect it, such as mass, distance from the axis of rotation, and force applied. It can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as angular momentum and centripetal force.

3. How does a rotating rod with weight work?

When the rod is spun, the weight attached to one end creates a rotational force, or torque, which causes the rod to rotate around its axis. The speed of rotation is affected by the mass of the weight, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force applied to the rod.

4. What are some real-life applications of a rotating rod with weight?

A rotating rod with weight has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to design and test rotating machinery, investigate the dynamics of rotating objects, and study the mechanics of sports movements such as swinging a golf club or throwing a discus.

5. How can I conduct an experiment with a rotating rod with weight?

To conduct an experiment with a rotating rod with weight, you will need to set up the apparatus with a fixed axis of rotation and measure the variables of mass, distance, and force. You can then vary one of these factors and observe the effect on the speed of rotation. This will allow you to analyze the relationship between these variables and rotational motion.