Rotational Motion About a Fixed Axis , NEED HELp :\

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the speed and angular speed of a wheel with a diameter of .68m moving without slipping. The point at the top of the wheel has a tangential speed of 5.4m/s. One person suggests using the equation .5 * 5.4 to find the speed of the axle, and 5.4m/s * .34m to find the angular speed of the wheel. However, another person corrects the calculation for angular speed, explaining that it should be calculated as speed/radius, with the centre either being the axle or the point of contact. The final correct calculation is not provided.
keylostman

Homework Statement

A wheel of diameter of .68m roll without slipping. A point at the top of the wheel moves witha tangential speed of 5.4m/s. Whaat speed is the axle of the wheel moving? What is the angular speed of the wheel?

How would i approach to do this problem, what equations would i need to use ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok for speed of axle i took .5 * 5.4 to get 2.7m/s

and for angular speed of wheel i took 5.4mn/s * .34m to get 15.9 rad/s

am i correct ?

Hi keylostman!

Are you the same person as th3plan?

Why have you posted the same problem twice?

Your speed is right, but your angular speed is not.

Angular speed = speed/radius, where speed means speed relative to the centre.

You can either take the centre to be the axle - so the radius is .34, but you have to subtract the axle speed - or you can take the centre to be the (stationary) point of contact - so the radius is .68.

so i take 5.4-2.7 ti get 2.7 m/s and multiply by .34m the radius to get .918 rad/s ?

What is rotational motion about a fixed axis?

Rotational motion about a fixed axis is a type of motion in which an object rotates around a fixed axis, such as a wheel rotating around its axle. This motion is different from translational motion, where an object moves in a straight line.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis, while linear velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

What is the relationship between angular acceleration and torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to an object. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the angular acceleration will be.

How is rotational motion about a fixed axis related to moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. In rotational motion about a fixed axis, the moment of inertia is a crucial factor in determining the object's rotational behavior.

What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for the curved motion of objects in rotational motion about a fixed axis. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious force that appears to push an object away from the center of rotation. It is actually the result of inertia and is not a true force.