Solving Steel Shear Stress Problems

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the shearing force necessary to shear a steel bolt with a diameter of 1.00 cm and punch a 1.00 cm diameter hole in a steel plate .500 cm thick, given that the shear stress in steel should not exceed 4.00 x 10^8 N/m^2. The conversation includes a discussion on using the equation F/A = S * Δx/h to solve for the force, with some uncertainty on what value to use for h. The conversation also touches on the lateral area of sheared material and the relationship between stress and force. The final clue suggests considering what is left after shearing a bolt in the plate.
psycovic23
I have a problem that I'm not sure how to approach. "If the shear stress in steel exceeds about 4.00 x 10^8 N/m^2, the steel ruptures. Determine the shearing force necessary to (a) shear a steel bolt 1.00 cm in diameter and (b) punch a 1.00 cm diameter hole in a steel plate .500 cm thick.

I think I got A right (3.14x10^4, right?), but I'm stuck on B. I'm trying to use

[tex]\frac{F}{A} = S \frac{\Delta x}{h}[/tex]

but I don't know what to use for h. So far, I'm solving for F, A=pi*.005^2, S = 8.4x10^10, delta x = .500 cm, but I don't know what H is. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wouldnt h be the thickness of theplate you are punching through?

But aren't I still missing one piece of information?

Shear force is always perpendicular to the plane of the plate(or in simple terms, it acts in the plane of thickness) I am not sure about the basis of your equation. Calculate the lateral area of sheared material. Once you get the area, what relation holds stress to force?

Clue to your second question : What is left when you shear a bolt in the plate?

1. What is shear stress in steel?

Shear stress in steel is the force applied parallel to the cross-sectional area of a steel component, causing it to deform or break. It is a measure of the amount of internal resistance to shearing forces within the steel material.

2. How do you calculate shear stress in steel?

Shear stress in steel can be calculated by dividing the shear force applied to the steel component by its cross-sectional area. The resulting unit will be in force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors affect shear stress in steel?

The main factors that affect shear stress in steel are the applied force, the cross-sectional area of the steel component, and the material properties of the steel, including its yield strength and modulus of elasticity.

4. How do you determine the maximum shear stress in a steel component?

The maximum shear stress in a steel component can be determined by analyzing the shear stress distribution throughout the component and identifying the location with the highest shear stress value. This can be done through mathematical calculations or finite element analysis.

5. What are some common methods for solving steel shear stress problems?

Some common methods for solving steel shear stress problems include using shear stress equations, performing hand calculations, using computer software or spreadsheets for numerical analysis, and conducting physical tests on steel samples. The method used will depend on the complexity and accuracy required for the specific problem.