1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple volume flow rate calculation

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Simple volume flow rate calculation

A 1.0-cm-diameter pipe widens to 2.0 cm, then narrows to 0.5 cm. Liquid flows through the first segment at a speed of 4.0m/s. The speed in the second segment is 1m/s, and the speed in the 3rd segment is 16 m/s

I thought that volume flow rate was simply Av, but I've tried many combinations of the 3 cross-sectional areas and 3 speeds with no success. Do I need to add them all up and multiply? Do I need to take averages? Oh, and should I have my units in terms of meters or centimeters? I'm really baffled as to why my answers aren't working, because I know it's a fairly simple problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All three should give the same answer when multiplying the area and the velocity. Check your units and that you're using radius not diameter.
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Got it. I was off by a factor of 10. Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?