1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar oven and search light

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    Both use concave mirrors... however; I'm not sure which one produces a virtual image and which one produces a real image??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2
    Here's the actual question: Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case.

4. Jul 13, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I know the right answer, but I'd start by remembering that you can see the Bat Symbol on the clouds when using the Bat Searchlight in Gotham City. And you can't see the image of the sun that is formed at the focus of a solar oven.

5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Heres a little hit:

Since a concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images. Surely the type of image produced has something to do with regards to how the object is located with respect to the focal point. One needs to ask the question; what are the distinguishing characteristics of these types of images.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  6. Jul 13, 2007 #5
    So far, I've figured out that the object is placed at the focal point for the car headlight... and I'm guessing that the object in a solar oven would be beyond the centre of curvature

7. Jul 14, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm thinking that the OP and I should stop guessing. Anybody got an optics textbook handy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?