Find Speed of Particle: Position Function r(t)= et(cos(t)i+sin(t)j+7tk)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a particle with a given position function, using the derivative of the function. The individual is having trouble finding the correct solution and is seeking guidance.
julz3216

Homework Statement

Consider the following position function.
r(t)= et(cos(t)i+sin(t)j+7tk)

Find the speed of a particle with the given position function.

Homework Equations

I know I take the derivative of the function but I can't seem to get speed.
I got v=e^t(cos(t)i+sin(t)j+7(t)k)+ e^t(-sin(t)i+cos(t)j+7k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't find the speed, i think i may be just slightly off. I currently have speed is 7e^t(t+1) which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit:

You are simply using "k" part, where is your i and j part. They don't cancel out.

Last edited:

1. How do I find the speed of a particle using the position function r(t)?

To find the speed of a particle using the position function r(t), you can use the formula speed = magnitude of velocity = ||v(t)|| = √(v(t) · v(t)).

2. What is the significance of the "t" in the position function r(t)?

The "t" in the position function r(t) represents time. It is a variable that allows us to track the position of the particle at different points in time.

3. Can the position function r(t) be used to find the speed of a particle at a specific time?

Yes, the position function r(t) can be used to find the speed of a particle at a specific time by plugging in the value of t into the formula for speed.

4. How does the position function r(t) differ from the velocity function v(t)?

The position function r(t) gives the position of the particle at a specific time, while the velocity function v(t) gives the instantaneous rate of change of position at a specific time.

5. Can the position function r(t) be used to determine the acceleration of a particle?

No, the position function r(t) alone cannot be used to determine the acceleration of a particle. To find acceleration, you would need the velocity function v(t) and take the derivative of it with respect to time.