How Can You Find Forces P, F, and T in a Static Equilibrium Problem?

In summary, the conversation focused on finding forces P, F, and T in a system where the rods are inextensible. The equations Fx = 0 and Fy = 0 were mentioned, indicating that the sum of the forces in the x and y axes must be zero for equilibrium. The process of elimination was used to find the values of P and F, with an emphasis on using exact expressions for the sines and cosines of the angles. It was noted that the software gave slightly different answers, possibly due to round off errors. The final answers for P and F were given as 2400√10 and a nice number times √13, respectively.
Handsome jack
tmwtT0R.jpg

1. Homework Statement

Find forces P,F,and T

Homework Equations

Fx = 0
Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

b2tdBTh.jpg

So far I only got force T from getting the moment from point b. Don't know how-to start getting force P and F since they're both at the same point. Any help will be much obliged thank you
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the rods are inextensible, find the reaction between the velocities of the three ends.
For example, if a horozontal rod is given a velocity of say 5m/s at one end A along the direction of rod, then the other end will also have the same velocity. If it does not, the rod will extend.

Welcome to PF!

What do you mean by Fx = 0 and Fy = 0? Have you tried to use these?

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

What do you mean by Fx = 0 and Fy = 0? Have you tried to use these?
That means that all forces on x and y-axis must equal to 0 since it's on equilibrium

Handsome jack said:
That means that all forces on x and y-axis must equal to 0 since it's on equilibrium
Do you mean that the sum of the x components of all of the forces must be zero? Similarly for the y components?

If so, have you tried using these facts?

How can the system be at equilibrium? There is a net force acting along horizontal.

Titan97 said:
How can the system be at equilibrium? There is a net force acting along horizontal.
Looks like the force P might be acting down and to the left according to the second picture in post #1.

Likes Titan97
If its not at equilibrium, then can't I say that the force along the rod at both ends should be equal? (Assuming the rod does not extend)

Oh God sorry. Force P is down to the left. It's on equilibrium, just have to find what the other forces are that are F and p that contribute to the cancellation of the other forces

Titan97 said:
If its not at equilibrium, then can't I say that the force along the rod at both ends should be equal? (Assuming the rod does not extend)
No, I don't think so. A rod can sustain tension. There is no need for the force parallel to the rod at one end to equal the force parallel to the rod at the other end.

Also, if you were to consider a single rod in the system, you would need to take into account forces acting on the rod from the other rods. If the rod is in equilibrium then the net force (including internal forces) acting parallel to the rod at one end would be equal and opposite to the net parallel force at the other end (assuming we can neglect the weights of the rods.)

Likes Titan97
Handsome jack said:
Force P is down to the left. It's on equilibrium, just have to find what the other forces are that are F and p that contribute to the cancellation of the other forces
How would you write out ΣFx = 0 for this problem?

uAfoVbv.jpg
tried using process of elimination to find P and F so far I got the answer not sure if it's correct

OK, your process looks correct. I'm too lazy today to get out my calculator and check all the numbers.

TSny said:
OK, your process looks correct. I'm too lazy today to get out my calculator and check all the numbers.
Thanks

I put the equations into some software. It gives somewhat different answers than what you are getting. Could be round off errors. For example sin(33.69) = .5547 instead of .55.

Note that using the little triangles allows you to have exact expressions for the sines and cosines of the angles. For force P, the hypotenuse of the triangle is √10 so you can write the sine of the angle as 1/√10 and the cosine as 3/√10.

Force P then comes out to be 2400√10 . Likewise F can be expressed as a nice number times √13.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of static forces?

Static forces refer to the forces acting on an object that is at rest or in a state of equilibrium. These forces can be either balanced or unbalanced.

2. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces refer to forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in motion. Unbalanced forces, on the other hand, have a net force that is not zero, causing the object to accelerate in the direction of the greater force.

3. How do you calculate the net force acting on an object?

The net force acting on an object can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the object. If the net force is zero, the object is in a state of equilibrium. If the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

4. What is the principle of equilibrium?

The principle of equilibrium states that for an object to be in a state of equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.

5. How do you determine the direction of a static force?

The direction of a static force can be determined by the direction in which the force is being applied. Forces act in the direction of the push or pull, and the resulting motion will be in the same direction as the net force.