Solving a Problem: Find Mass of Box, Given Two Wire Support Beam Data

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two wires supporting a beam with a hanging box. The tension in the left support wire is given as 500 N and the tension in the right support wire is 600 N. The task is to find the mass of the box, given the length of the beam and the acceleration of gravity. The conversation also includes a link to a visual representation of the problem and the steps taken to solve it. Eventually, the problem is solved with the help of setting up equations for equilibrium.
pkossak
I really could use help on this one! I got this one wrong on the last test, it was driving me crazy. Spent almost half the time trying to figure it out.

Two wires support a beam of length L=16. A box hangs from a wire which is connected a distance of 12 m from the left edge of the beam. The tension in the left support wire is 500 N and the tension in the right support wire is 600 N. What is the mass of the box? DATA: acceleration of gravity=9.80 m/s2

My next test is today, thank you incredibly much if you can help me figure out what I was doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you did. (Are you given the mass of the beam? Is it uniform? Are the support wires vertical?)

Not given the mass of the beam, yes the support wires are vertical.

The figure can be seen here http://www.msu.edu/~kossakze/physics.gif

The way I approached it was to consider the middle of the beam at m = 0. The left wire is at 8 m and 8 m*500 N + 4 m*x N (weight of box) = 8 m*600 N

nevermind...wow...got the answer, guess I didn't do that on the test.

Thanks anyway

Good. As long as the wires are vertical and beam is uniform, no problem. Just set up your equations for equilibrium.

Related to Solving a Problem: Find Mass of Box, Given Two Wire Support Beam Data

What is the first step in solving this problem?

The first step is to draw a diagram of the problem and label all given information.

What equations can be used to solve this problem?

The equations F=ma and F=mg can be used to solve this problem, where F is the force, m is the mass, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you determine the mass of the box using the given data?

To determine the mass of the box, we can use the equations F=ma and F=mg. By setting these equations equal to each other and substituting in the given values for force and acceleration, we can solve for the mass of the box.

What are the units for the mass of the box in this problem?

The units for mass in this problem will depend on the units used for force and acceleration. If force is given in newtons and acceleration is given in meters per second squared, then the units for mass will be kilograms (kg).

Is there a specific method for solving this type of problem?

Yes, this type of problem can be solved using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and using the equations F=ma and F=mg. It is important to carefully label all given information and use the appropriate units in order to arrive at the correct solution.